Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The answer to your first question is "No". In fact no matter how much I re-read what I wrote I can not figure out how you came to that conclusion about what it is I am saying. Though in your defense you did pose it as a question about what I am saying rather than a statement.

In fact I am struggling to see you reply to anything I actually said. For example you say "To suggest that there are less atheists who commit murders is ridiculous" but I can find nowhere in my post where I said any such thing.

At this point I can do little but recommend you start again, completely reread my post, and attempt another reply. Nothing you have typed replies to anything I even remotely said.

But it continues to amaze me that you go on about not generalising and being respectful. Yet you described to your friend his decision to use a non religious school as "insane"? It seems to me that you have long ago chosen not to practice what you preach at all. The only person I am ACTUALLY seeing generalise and be disrespectful of others is you.

But no I see nothing "insane" about having children grow up with differing experiences. As parents we often have to choose experiences for our children and what we want for them. For example do I choose the school over there with a big sports program, or the one over there with almost no sports, or the one over there which specifically does Rugby? I myself went to primary school with Brian ODriscoll until we were 12 and I sat next to him. When we turned 13 I went to a school that played all soccer and no Rugby. He went to a school that I believe did the opposite. We likely had very different experiences.

I and another user who also posted on this thread also never did Santa Claus at Christmas with out children. I do not think for one moment my Children have suffered for not having shared that experience with other kids. Though the other user writes and explains that position better than I. I am perfectly content in my decision not to employ that, and have nothing against the parents who do.

The idea that all children should have a uniform identical education experience or upbringing therefore strikes me as a nonsense. And also untenable given the sheer diversity in social and economic backgrounds. And I see nothing "insane" about thinking that school should be about teaching what we have reason to think true, rather than as places to indoctrinate them into fantasy and unsubstantaited nonsense, and making my choice of school based off that desire. I would not consent to a school based solely on the notion that my kid should be doing what every other kid is doing. I see nothing to support such a notion. At. all.

While I would not see any reason to be "verbally abusive" I certainly can empathise with his choice to end the friendship on those grounds.

You ask how the sentence sounds? To me it sounds like a good opener to a useful conversation. I would not dismiss it with screeches of it being a generalisation or hurtful. We can easily and maturaly explore the claim and see if there is any substance behind it.

I would start by finding anything that unifies "atheists" and see if anything there supports or promotes hate or hatefulness. Straight away though your sentence is on weak ground as there is no particular belief that unites all atheists. The word is a descriptor of a single belief they LACK. And that is about as informative a unifier as trying to find what unites all people with (or without) beards. It is, straight away, a nonsense.

But you can go on to explore what atheism is and you then see that there is nothign in the sentence " I see no reason to think there is a god or gods" that in any way leads to "Therefore I must hate or be hateful". It's a COMPLETE non sequitur.

As a contrast we could test out the sentence "All Christians are haters". I do not belieive that sentence to be true OR useful. But having said that if we look at things that unify many or most Christians, like the Biblical text for example, the sentence is at least on firmer ground. Why? Well for example the Bible contains the notion "The fool hath said in their heart there is no god". Straight away the text is "othering" the non believer AND degrading them with a phrase like "fool".

So the statements are not equivilant. I do not believe EITHER of the statements as I said. But one sentence still, like it or not, has firmer ground than the other.

And this is why I laugh at the statement that "All fundamentalists are the same" coming from someone who is pretending to be against generalisation and lack of respect. Because while I do not believe Muslims have some monopoly on hate or violence (I really dont as I know and love many of them) or that Jains have a monopoly on non violence and love........ the simple fact remains that the more fundamentalist each of those two become in their beleifs.... given what their religions claim and preach...... the higher those relative potentials become in those individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How am I supposed to comprehend this?

'Deep fundamentalist Muslims have flown planes into buildings. Deep fundamentalist Jains sweep the ground before them as they walk, for fear they might kill an insect. The most stident atheists that most people have heard of do little more than write books, while some fundamentalist Christians blow up abortion clinics or attack doctors who perform abortions.'

How am I supposed to comprehend this?

'Deep fundamentalist Muslims have flown planes into buildings. Deep fundamentalist Jains sweep the ground before them as they walk, for fear they might kill an insect. The most stident atheists that most people have heard of do little more than write books, while some fundamentalist Christians blow up abortion clinics or attack doctors who perform abortions.'

As for your long winded response to my example of being a hater, generalisations are wrong. Generalisations are very common, almost 100%, among all fundamentalists.

The person I responded to basically said that all Christians are sexual fiends.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

Scientific theory is based on some wild assumptions which is why it is usually found to be wrong by later observation. That is assuming the later observation is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

I hear dark matter doesn't exist after all. Which means the big bang happened 27 billion years ago. A singular event. There is not enough matters in the universe to make it repeatable.

So, if the universe came into being 27 billion years ago from an explosion which happened from an infinitesimally small point in a void, for now apparent reason, then the alternative must (by the logic of Sherlock Holmes) be true.

God said "let there be light, and there was light."

• Advertisement

I can not speak FOR anyone but myself and I am not speaking TO anyone but you. If you have an issue with something someone else said to you, take it up with them please. Not me.

I both agree and disagree that generalisations are wrong. Lazy generalisations are wrong. And unsubstantiated generalisations are wrong. I explained to you for example why the sentence "Atheits are haters" is wrong. I gave you two strong reasons why it is wrong.

I also think the comparative generalisation is wrong of "Christians are haters". But I showed how that sentence does have more substantiation behind it all the same. The core text of the faith openly "others" non believers and insults them. These differences matter. Drawing sweeping generalisations off those differences is for sure not a wise move. But pretending the differences do not exist or are not important is also not wise.

But what I would say over all is that I find it much better to talk in potentials rather than absolutes. I would agree that it is nonsense to call Christians sex fiends. Or believers are "simple". I would not say a fundamentalist Christian is going to kill abortion doctors, or that a fundamentalist Muslim is going to kill homosexuals or that a fundamentalist Jain is going to be full of love for all things.

What I WOULD say however is that the tendencies and potentials towards those things goes up relative to their fundamentalism. If I had to bet my life that a strongly fundamentalist Muslim is or is not going to be a threat to a homosexual, I know which way I am betting statistically. If I had to bet my life that a strongly fundamentalist Jain is going to be entirely non violent and will be absolutely no threat to anyone physically, again I know which way I am betting. How many Jain suicide bombers have there been?

I might lose that bet at times. I fully expect I will in fact. But would I lose more often than I win or vice versa? Let's hope we never have to find out, huh?

So the notion that "all fundamentalists are the same" is straight away on the face of it a complete nonense. I do not think they are the same even WITHIN any given faith, let alone the same between different faiths. There are massive differences between them. Why? Because beliefs, in so far as they translate into real world action, actually matter. Both in isolation and relative to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is the best fit to the evidence at the moment , but no one compells you to accept it. I personally don't.

I would enjoy some example of things that have been called Theory under the modern scientific method specifically (as opposed to theory in the vernacular) which have later been observed to be wrong. I trust the list will be realtively extensive given you stated above that this is what "usually" happens. So it sounds like you have plenty to choose from.

But from my knowledge, under the modern scientific method when something is called "Theory" this is the highest accolade of near certainty we ascribe anything in science. Atomic Theory or Evolution Theory for example. The word "Theory" in science indicates our very low expectation that the claims within it are likely to be falsified. Interestingly one of the first scientists to teach me this fact was Catholic Biologist Kenneth Miller.

Now perhaps you do not understand the difference between Scientific Theory and theory/hypothesis, and what you actually mean is that there is a lot of flux in the state of scientific hypotheses, especially at the fringes of our current knowledge and understanding. There you will get little argument from me. We come up with some wacky notions at times. And it can be quite fun and maybe even rare when those wacky notions turn out to be likely true. But most of them are indeed dismissed and rubbished by observation and falsification. That is how science works!

I have always understood the phrases "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" to be placeholder terms for things we do not understand yet. There have been calculation results and observations that we do not understand and we gave those areas of ignorance names.

As such it falls on my ears strangely to read the statement "Dark matter does not exist after all". What does that even mean given the nature of what the phrase "dark matter" even means? Who is saying it does not exist? And what does the speaker say they actually mean by that statement?

The rest of your post however is making the fallacy of equivocating between two hypotheses. An error Sherlock Holmes, myself, and most scientists would never make. If you have two hypotheses X and Y, Y does not become more credible or more substantiated if you prove X is wrong. Why? Because BOTH can be wrong and the actual answer could be some other Z.

In other words even if you prove one idea wrong, the work to substantiate the second idea is STILL entirely ahead of you. A nonsense idea remains a nonsense idea, even if another idea turns out to be wrong.

Boy1: Where do babies come from?

Boy2: The stork brings them.

Boy1: I do not think that can be right.

Boy2: Well where do you think they come from?

Boy1: I have no idea.

Boy2: AHA! See??? The stork must bring them!!!

In the above conversation Boy2 falsely believes his idea becomes more credible, because Boy1 has no idea of his own. You and I can both see how and why Boy2 is engaged in a fallacy however I am sure. His idea was unsubstantated fantasy before Boy1 admitted to having no idea of his own. And it remains unsubstantiated fantasy after Boy1 admitted this.

Similarly your idea that some god created the universe remains unsubstantiated, regardless of whether Big Bang theory is accepted or falsified by science. Your pretence that there is only two ideas, and proving one wrong proves the other right, is just that. Pretense. And as I said I imagine Sherlock Holmes, were he real, would be embarrased to be associated with such fallacious reasoning.

I would enjoy some example of things that have been called Theory under the modern scientific method specifically (as opposed to theory in the vernacular) which have later been observed to be wrong. I trust the list will be realtively extensive given you stated above that this is what "usually" happens. So it sounds like you have plenty to choose from.

But from my knowledge, under the modern scientific method when something is called "Theory" this is the highest accolade of near certainty we ascribe anything in science. Atomic Theory or Evolution Theory for example. The word "Theory" in science indicates our very low expectation that the claims within it are likely to be falsified. Interestingly one of the first scientists to teach me this fact was Catholic Biologist Kenneth Miller.

Now perhaps you do not understand the difference between Scientific Theory and theory/hypothesis, and what you actually mean is that there is a lot of flux in the state of scientific hypotheses, especially at the fringes of our current knowledge and understanding. There you will get little argument from me. We come up with some wacky notions at times. And it can be quite fun and maybe even rare when those wacky notions turn out to be likely true. But most of them are indeed dismissed and rubbished by observation and falsification. That is how science works!

I have always understood the phrases "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" to be placeholder terms for things we do not understand yet. There have been calculation results and observations that we do not understand and we gave those areas of ignorance names.

As such it falls on my ears strangely to read the statement "Dark matter does not exist after all". What does that even mean given the nature of what the phrase "dark matter" even means? Who is saying it does not exist? And what does the speaker say they actually mean by that statement?

The rest of your post however is making the fallacy of equivocating between two hypotheses. An error Sherlock Holmes, myself, and most scientists would never make. If you have two hypotheses X and Y, Y does not become more credible or more substantiated if you prove X is wrong. Why? Because BOTH can be wrong and the actual answer could be some other Z.

In other words even if you prove one idea wrong, the work to substantiate the second idea is STILL entirely ahead of you. A nonsense idea remains a nonsense idea, even if another idea turns out to be wrong.

Boy1: Where do babies come from?

Boy2: The stork brings them.

Boy1: I do not think that can be right.

Boy2: Well where do you think they come from?

Boy1: I have no idea.

Boy2: AHA! See??? The stork must bring them!!!

In the above conversation Boy2 falsely believes his idea becomes more credible, because Boy1 has no idea of his own. You and I can both see how and why Boy2 is engaged in a fallacy however I am sure. His idea was unsubstantated fantasy before Boy1 admitted to having no idea of his own. And it remains unsubstantiated fantasy after Boy1 admitted this.

Similarly your idea that some god created the universe remains unsubstantiated, regardless of whether Big Bang theory is accepted or falsified by science. Your pretence that there is only two ideas, and proving one wrong proves the other right, is just that. Pretense. And as I said I imagine Sherlock Holmes, were he real, would be embarrased to be associated with such fallacious reasoning.

I have always understood the phrases "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy" to be placeholder terms for things we do not understand yet. There have been calculation results and observations that we do not understand and we gave those areas of ignorance names. I am not a theoretical physisist so hopefully one will come along to educate us both on this. But that has always been my understanding.

• Boy1: Where do babies come from?
    • Boy2: The stork brings them.
    • Boy1: I do not think that can be right.
    • Boy2: Well where do you think they come from?
    • Boy1: I have no idea.
    • Boy2: AHA! See??? The stork must bring them!!!

In the above conversation Boy2 falsely believes his idea becomes more credible, because Boy1 has no idea of his own. You and I can both see how and why Boy2 is engaged in a fallacy however. His idea was unsubstantated fantasy before Boy1 admitted to having no idea of his own. And it remains unsubstantiated fantasy after Boy1 admitted this.

• Advertisement

I put up a piece of your post and asked you how I am supposed to comprehend what you say as you denied you said anything like it. You've put up another long winded post, something which could have been done in under 100 words, but in no way explained what I quoted in my response to you.

As regards me saying all atheists are haters. I do not believe that. I put it there as an example of why generalisations are wrong. The person I quoted is an atheist but also a hater.

I do not believe in any god just in case you missed that.

Below is what you said at the beginning of a post which I quoted,

This led to my response which started off with

Crikey, you are suggesting that only religious people can be sociopaths?

You responded to me basically asking me how I could ask that question and claim you never made any suggestion like it.

It's sociopaths that blow up buildings and kill people. Fundamentalism is not terrorism and murder. Fundamentalists believe in following their faith, books and teachings to the letter of the law. Terrorists use religion to claim they are on a righteous path and to brainwash the less intelligent so they carry out their bidding.

As regards your issue with me saying all atheists are haters. That was put up as an example of generalisation.

I do not believe atheists are haters. There are some just like in all different faiths and beliefsl

I do not believe in any god just to make that clear to you as well.

You seem like a good guy but your posts are very long-winded. You could get your points across with a lot less words.

Now, can you please explain why my question beginning with 'crikey' is a surprise when you said what I've quoted there which begins with 'Deep fundamentalist Muslims'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yeah…science is clearly wrong with its repeatedly provable theory’s and experiments, bodies of work, Nobel prize winning scientists, the satellites in the sky that show us the vastness of space.

But your God did that, we have to go with that over science.

When you get an ounce of proof of the existence of any god, come back to us.

Yes, I repeat, I at no point said, or even implied, that only religious people can be sociopaths. If you are getting that notion from anything I wrote I can only assure you, you are misreading me.

Whether that is a failure in my ability to express myself, your ability to comprehend, or a mix of the two I do not know. But communication is alas always like that. All one can do is keep trying to express oneself until the other side gets it, regardless of which side (or both) the failure lies.

What I AM saying is that not all fundamentalists are the same. In that given what they believe, they can be more or less likely to engage in certain undesirable behaviours. Like violence.

So what they actually believe is very important. Not just that they are fundamentalist. But fundamentalist in WHAT specifically. There is a reason you do not get a lot of atheist or Jain suicide bombers.

For example the probability.... and I stress that it is a probability not an absolute.... that a deeply fundamentalist Muslim might commit violence upon you is massively higher than a deeply fundamentalist Jain. Why? Because the specfic tenants and contents of their respective faiths are massively different. The more fundamentalist you are as a Jain the less likely you are to commit violence.

As I said the really deep Jains drink and breath through cheese cloth so they minimise the harm to small forms of life and sweep the path before them as they walk so they will not even stand on a bug. They are deeply horrified by any level of violence.

And yes I did not take you as personally saying Atheists are Haters. Apologies if I was not clear there. I was showing you how I would evaluate the statement were you to make it. I was not intending to treat you AS IF you were making it. I thought since you were giving it as an example, you would read my response in the same light. The point was that not all generalisations are equal either. Some generalisations, while wrong, have at least some substance behind them. Others, not so much.

No, I asked you if 'only' religious people can be sociopaths.

You said that 'The most stident atheists that most people have heard of do little more than write books'. That definitely suggests that you believe only people of religion can be sociopaths or terrorists.

Ever heard of the Unabomber?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

IMHO Catholicism went from a very public profession of faith ; weekly mass, confession, holy week, various saints days, corpus christi processions, Lent & Ash Wednesday, Blessings of the graves... (I could go on) to a more personal spiritual profession. In my recollection of my local church which was about 500 yards from my house, the numbers were declining before the horrific abuse and cover up scandals were made public.

After the scandals, the numbers dropped and I for one can't blame people for that. So by that metric Is catholic Ireland dead? I don't think so, but its certainly not the force it was which may be stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭yagan

Yeah, that's roughly what I saw happening too. Interestingly in my own house it was actually Eamon Casey that ended my mothers adherence as she was disgusted that he had been using their church offerings to give his kid in the US an expensive education. She had stuffed the parish envelop while raising her own family and in retrospect felt financially cheated.

She started missing sunday mass after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

My parents went on holiday to Rome in their early 70s. Toured the Vatican and St. Peter’s. My dad came home and said “the architecture and art was amazing considering that nobody was working there”. He never went to mass again. Good for him.

And nothing I said suggests that "only" religious people can be sociopaths. That is why I am so confused you keep hammering on that point. I simply never said or even implied it. If you think I did I can only apologise for whatever linguistic gaffs I may have made that has deluded you so.

What I said is that the more fundamentalist a person gets.... what the result of that fundamentalism tends statistically to be varies based on what it is they actually believe. Most very strident and fundamentalist atheists do little more than write books at you. Most. As you say there are of course some who do awful things. But often that is congruent with their atheism not causal to it. I ask again what about the sentence "I see no reason to think there is a god" leads to any "therefore" like bombing people? It doesn't mean an atheist won't bomb people! It does mean there is nothing ABOUT atheism that will lead you to it specifically.

Not so with things like religion. There are definite real causal chains between deep religious belief and specific actions or inactions. There is a reason you won't see many (if any) atheists screaming how they love death more than another group loves life before blowing themselves up. Or take for example the concept of watching your own loved child die painfully of a treatable disease because you think the medication required is a sin. How many atheists have that chain of thought? How or why would they? Yet there is a whole Time article in the archives about exactly that with a certain type of Christian parents. I can link you to the article if you want me to dig it up. Imagine loving your child deeply but thinking the best thing you can do for them is let them die painfully before you! That doing so is a deep expression of your love for both them and your god? What could lead a person to such horrific deluded neglect and inaction but religious belief?!?!?!

Again: Beliefs matter. And when you become fundamentalist in a belief, the result of that is going to be heavily based on what that fundamentalism is related to.

Must say this is all a bit off topic and I have totally lost track on how we ended up down this rabbit hole now :) I will have to read back over the thread. Not something I am relishing the thought of doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

WE are the taxpayers who paid for it . The state .

To be honest, the GAA haven't just used the funds for our national stadium (which allows a variety of sports and events now, by the way), they pour money into local teams and communities.

Bit of a red herring that one.

Sounds like it is easy for you to say not to look back, I can't imagine you would say that to the face of an abuse survivor, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

It's remarkable how you can think so differently about two belief systems. You say the above about religion and "if there were a basis in fact" but at the same time call people transphobes etc. for not agreeing a man can be a woman on other threads, which is purely a belief with no basis in fact.

It's amazing how people can twist and turn and be so inconsistent in their own "beliefs" depending on the subject. Fair play to you! lol

Evidence show that transgenderism is a consistent part of human experience and has been since the dawn of history. It requires no stretch of the imagination to accept that his has been true since the dawn of mankind. Your analogy is entirely bogus.

I would love to see that evidence, especially in reference to the dawn of time part.

Right, I will give you that.

Although further reading would unearth this: "A precise history of the global occurrence of transgender people is difficult to compose because the modern concept of being transgender, and of gender in general as relevant to transgender identity, did not develop until the mid-1900s. Historical understandings are thus inherently filtered through modern principles, and were largely viewed through a medical lens until the late 1900s."

So with that, I would say your stance is on a flawed ground.

Your original statement was "Evidence show that transgenderism is a consistent part of human experience and has been since the dawn of history.".

This is very much the same as religion, if anything religion is the first stab at cosmology, literature, health care etc.

Religion failed in its remit to explain existence. As far as I am concerned it is junk.

Advertisement