Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brickenden kicked a wide in the first half, I can't remember where exactly from but it might have been a medium percentage shot rather than a high or low percentage one.

Anyway in the second half he is running down the right wing, loads of space in front of him and as he's getting closer and closer I'm shouting "don't shoot" at the TV.

The problem for Brickenden was that he was running out of options other than having to shoot, no one was showing for the ball.

Eventually he got a messy pass off to Conroy who then won a free.

If don't want your full back taking shots, give him some options not to have to take the shot.

A bit like in Tralee, no one was looking for that ball he won off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

How piss poor where the rossies in the 2nd half I think it happened a few times where we had the ball in our own back line there wasn't one tackle made on us untill the forward line and even then it was lacking any sort of power or intensity.

Is it 3 players out now with hamstring problems ?hate seeing that injury itan go just as quick again when they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pretty sure he kicked it with his left as well. The miss in Tralee certainly didn't dent his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good win last night although Roscommon were very poor in second half so I wouldn't be getting too excited. A few things in particular that I noticed at the match:

- ROD was excellent but early in the second half he was 2nd receiver for a kickout and carried the ball from our 30 well into their half. We have 10+ other players who can do this job better than him and very few who can do his job closer to goal

- too many players taking a solo without looking up. I wouldn't blame him too much as he's so young but for both of mchugh's points, he could have shot without taking a solo; against better teams, the time wasted on that solo will be used to bottle him up

- Aidan was man on man on several occasions inside and not once did we let a ball in on top of him; even if he did nothing with it, it'd keep the backs honest and leave a little extra space further out

- second game running that Cillian has looked his age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

It was a bit of a facetious comment given the way the GAA have completely devalued the league by not giving a gap to championship. The league is a potentially great competition, and the fact that all teams seem to care about now is relegation and promotion is sad. Nobody is actually bothered whether they win the thing or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Have to agree. I can’t imagine Allianz as sponsors are delighted with how the GAA are entirely negating the league as a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Westernview

The over-soloing thing is something I've been highlighting and results in missed opportunities when a player runs out of space. Overall though I felt there was more heads up football on Saturday and the ball was moved forward with greater urgency, especially in the first half.

I'm convinced more than ever that the league format should become the championship - the best teams playing each other week after week. It's a no brainer and would boost attendances.

1 - January - Scrap the pre-season tournaments and give the colleges the month to themselves.

2 - Then have the provincial competition which gives a chance to some teams to get a bit of silverware who are not at the level to win sam maguire.

3 - Then the All Ireland league format competition with divisions 1 and 2 competing for Sam Maguire and 3 and 4 with their own competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Is Padraig o Hora injured, have not heard any mention of him since start of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Was injured at the start of the league and due to be back in contention around the Kerry game (Round 3).

No official word of a setback or another injury, so while that's possible he's probably just fighting to get back to 100% and enough match sharpness (in training) to get ahead of McDonnell/Boland/Plunkett/etc for a place on the 26. (McStay also well known over the years for not liking to rush back or risk lads recovering from injury)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Are we sure O’Hora brings anything that we don’t already have and in much younger legs? I’m afraid that he seems to get roasted too often for my liking.

• Advertisement

Yes, even a fully fit O'Hora will struggle to make the team and probably even the first choice subs. A great warrior fully committed to the cause but pace is an issue.

I alway thought Swanny would be worth a try at 6 instead of the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't be his biggest fan fan and he certainly has had tough days in some big games, but our naivety hasn't helped his cause at the same time. We seem to fail to relaise that man marking the likes of Clifford etc should be a 1.5/2 man job and we leave the likes of O'Hora exposed.

I think he'll just about scrape in to the 26 man squad, can't see him starting though.

He's usually 6 or 4 depending on who they're playing - typically either marking the best opposition forward (I'd say less so now with Callinan involved) or driving forward from 6

As with a lot of the county lads (the majority of our full back line options, past and present, tend to play half back or midfield at club and our half backs can tend to show up anywhere on the pitch) he tends to play firefighter for Ballina and fill whatever role they need from him on a given weekend. Man marking 3 (if he's a better matchup or Ger Caff isn't playing), attacking 6, wing back or filling in around midfield at various times last year and previous years. He certainly has the strengths and experience to do a job at 6, if or when he's hitting form & fitness at least.

Interesting to watch Boland getting into the 26 ahead of him. Fantastic young player, great potential for the future but I'm not sure I've ever watched a Stephenites game and thought he'd make a 26 that Swannie didn't, this year at least. You'd have to imagine it's fitness or sharpness related rather than skill, ability or purely performance related (though if I'm wrong the idea of McDonnell and Boland outperforming him in training is even more exciting).

Already safe now regardless of what happens in the next 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Taking a hiding at home from the 3rd best team in the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Haven't see The Chaos for a while!!

Derry deserving winners. Not a good day for Reape. Looked ragged at times but some good things also. Tommy's best game in ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Some of the same old failings on display there today. Over and back and into cul de sacs before someone goes for a wild swing at the posts. Getting caught with no cover when turned over.

We were well beaten when it mattered, and only got back in to it when Derry thought they had the game won. Once we got within touching distance, they went up through a gear or two and put some more easy scores on the board.

I thought the ref was poor today. The one he blew up for the foul on Conroy when he had just got past his man and was bearing down on goal was the highlight. To bring the free all the way out to the sideline was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ULEZ23

Blessing in disguise. Knock the chances of a league final on the head and focus on Connacht. Derry will beat Roscommon and can’t see Dublin losing to Tyrone by anything material enough.

Think you pretty much summed it up. The lateral play isn't going to get us far. Still best when we throw caution to the wind and attack directly. But then we usually revert back to plan A for the next game.

One main issue I see is the lack of height and bulk up the spine of the team. Plenty of nice footballers but lacking that bit of power to win dirty ball and to stop the opposition runs up the centre. But we have to go with what we have.

Tommy much better. If he was a little bit more cynical he could have gone down a few times and earned a black card or 2 against the defenders hanging out of him.

We are a top 6 team at the moment and that's where we will stay until players develop more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Derry took the foot off the gas towards end which made the scoreline look more respectable. But honestly they could have won it by a lot more. We have to have one of the loosest defences in division 1. Absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Open to correction here but our defence was the best in the league before yesterday.

A bit of perspective needed,we were never going to win that game yesterday, we didn't even want to.

Safety secured,job done.

It's all about championship.

Spot on.

We'd conceded 67, Derry next best on 69, Roscommon on 70 and Galway on 72 the best Div 1 defences at the end of R5 (Case to be made for Armagh on 52 & Donegal on 59 in Div 2). Even now on 91 the only ones tighter than us at the back after R6 are Derry on 88 and Roscommon on 90.

We lost this one on very poor defensive performances (to be fair, 1 to 15 involved not just 1 to 7), the one area we've been performing consistently well. We all know Colm, Sam, Enda, Rory, Donnacha and Stephen can do better than they showed at the weekend (thought Aaron put in a really solid showing for his first day out in a back unit that was misfiring) and against a team as fast as Derry having a few more from Jack, David, Paddy, Eoghan and Diarmuid on the pitch reduces the number of pace mismatches they could take advantage of dramatically which improves each of those individual performances relatively too.

Got as close as we did playing relatively poorly, hitting ~50% of our shots (with us creating more shooting opportunities than Derry and a number of those in very scorable positions), with restarts hurting us terribly performing way below any recent average (despite us doing relatively well around the middle), with experienced lads making very out of character mistakes for soft goals and with us creating 5 reasonable goal chances (taking 2) at the far end.

More than enough positives there for me to be content.... or at least as content as you can ever be after a loss.

Great to see some minutes for lads like Aaron McDonnell, Fenton Kelly, Kevin Quinn (3 debuts), Conor Loftus and Paul Towey too. All making decent contributions given the time available. Bit more confidence for Tommy, Mattie and Aido too. Should stand to them all going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Derry were just as loose in defence, if not more so. How many goal chances had we?

Not sure how in control Derry were either if you take that into account.

A big positive is how strong we were in midfield yesterday. Many would consider Glass and Rodgers the best duo around and I think we got the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Safe with a game to spare

safe from league final with a game to spare

New players given game time

next to zero goal chances given up in first 5 games

Id say mission accomplished.

Winning Connacht has to be the only priority now. Anything else is a bonus. I don’t see any other Connacht team winning the AI so that fear is gone :D

Be a sickener to see the likes of Derry get one before us though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I wouldnt begrudge Derry at all, bar maybe the Mickey Harte factor. Its what, 5 years since they played in a div 4 final and are now one of the top handful of teams in the country. They seem to have taken a strategic look at where they have gone wrong, and put a plan in place to fix it. Aided of course by having so many top class players come through and hit form at the same time. Glass, McGuigan, Rodgers and co are great to watch in full flow. I do think their goalkeeper might see them caught out again though.

There are a lot of teams Id rather see fall short than them :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Derry “got one” in 1993.

Advertisement