Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'll say no to a united ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It was 2 genuine questions.

Do you condemn the murder by the pIRA of Billy Fox and the burning of the house / bible? Do you condemn all paramilitaries?

Or are you like Gerry / Michelle / FrancisBrady?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Suckler

Less of the accusations and go back and revise your quote about me please.

It was 2 genuine questions.

Do you condemn the murder by the pIRA of Billy Fox and the burning of the house / bible? Do you condemn all paramilitaries?

Less of the accusations and go back and revise your quote about me please.

(I can copy and paste too.)

Post 6536; there's an edit function you can use. If you don't I'll assume you're happy to just point score in an infantile manner.

Less diverting. I have answered questions for you. Now, as asked before,

Do you condemn the murder by the pIRA of Billy Fox and the burning of the house / bible?

Do you condemn all paramilitaries?

A Yes or No to each question will suffice.

• Advertisement

Charlie Bird died of Motor Neurone disease. You not thinking he was right is contrived nonsense...again.

For you to use a mans death for your ulterior assumptions and general guess work about his thoughts on 'Republicans' is an abhorrent and shameful. You should reconsider your wording if you had an ounce of morality.

@Francis McM Still dunno what I’m talking about……no? Let me know if I need to make it simpler for you.

Post edited by Suckler on

You seem to be well able to divert from my simple request to correct your quote about me. I've even directed you to the misquoted post to make it nice and easy for you. Carry on.

So I take it my assumption on your infantile manner for simply scoring points is entirely warranted.

I am well aware of what Charlie Bird died of. That is not the point. And I did not mention his thoughts on republicans. What we do know is that he was physically attacked by 3 thugs on O'Connell st Dublin who called him an Orange Bastard.

Now stop diverting. Do you condemn the murder by the pIRA of Billy Fox and the burning of the house / bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,143 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A better question would be:

Do you condemn the actions of all combatants in the conflict/war.

Condemning all the violence from the start covers that.

I think it dawned on him then what some victims of Republican para-militaries went through, when their loved ones are not even allowed peacefully parade and instead are attacked themselves. .

Nice attempt to back track - here is what you said. Delete it if you have any decency.

• Advertisement

There's that word "diverting" again; have you correct your post about me yet...or still diverting....

The actions ....thousands of terrorists for example from both sides were captured, tried and jailed during the troubles. Do I condemn that? No of course not, no right thinking person would.

Do I condemn all the paramilitaries and any illegal activity? YES. absolutely.

Do you condemn all the paramilitaries and any illegal activity? Or are you like your leader Michelle and her leaders?

Again, I condemn the violence from the start, all of it, legal and illegal.

You haven't done that.

You do not think "military action" from the pIRA was violence, but you do think the Irish government internment of IRA during WW2 and the 1956-62 IRA border campaign was violence, do you not? So your view of violence is not that of a normal law abiding citizen, who respects the institutions of the state.

Incidentally, I seem to remember it was a UDR soldier ( off duty ) who saved Gerry Adams life after he was shot at by loyalist terrorists - he did not try to kill Adams. Why was that, if the UDR were as bad as you say?

Incidentally, I seem to remember it was a UDR soldier ( off duty ) who saved Gerry Adams life after he was shot at by loyalist terrorists - he did not try to kill Adams.

You're mistaken in the above......still after its been pointed out to your the error of your 'recollection'. The UDR soldier did not save him, but gave chase.

Edit: Also you state "he did not try to kill Adams" how on earth is that relevant? You've dodged this before. In this scenario, the paramilitaries carried out an attack and attempted to flee, yet you seem to be praising a UDR soldier for not turning around and shooting the target of the attack? The mind boggles.

You do not think "military action" from the pIRA was violence,

This is rubbish. You are again fabricating.

Quote "The assassination attempt was thwarted by an off-duty RUC officer ad two plainclothes military police officers who were in the vicinity."

Apologies, from memory I thought it was off duty UDR. It was off duty RUC officer etc. It was a long time ago.

The question I was asking FrancisBrady was if the security forces were that bad, why did they not kill Adams, or allow him to be killed by loyalists : instead on numerous occasions they captured and jailed loyalists?

Quote: The E4 HMSU (part of the RUC Special Branch) was tasked with protecting Adams. "Jack", a member of the unit, claimed to the Belfast Telegraph "We saved Gerry Adams' life more than once. At least twice, if not three times."

Speaking about another attempt on Adams' life, "Jack" said "The loyalists had a simple plan. It was to be simple and effective. There was a cinema down there (west Belfast) - it's now a hotel - and behind there Adams held court in a wee clinic where people would have been able to bring their problems. He used an armored car - bulletproof except for the roof - and loyalists planned to drive by on a motorbike and plant a limpet mine on the roof. We stopped that. We saved Adams' life."

Bear in mind Republicans killed retired elderly members of the security forces because they had once worked for the state, they shot a shop owner because he would not discriminate on who he served etc. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and the murder of shop owners or takeaway owners was been justified because they served Republican extremists?

You have yet to answer the 2 simple questions. Do you condemn the murder by the pIRA of Billy Fox and the burning of the house / bible?

Now we are supposed to be thankful that the police and security forces did their jobs.

So you were off doing the usual scour for info that still doesn't recognise your early assertion about the UDR soldier 'saving' him and not (bizarrely in your opinion) shooting him

The question I was asking FrancisBrady was if the security forces were that bad, why did they not kill Adams, or allow him to be killed by loyalists : instead on numerous occasions they captured and jailed loyalists?

Thats your metric for judging if the security forces were good or bad? They did their job for in relation to protecting a prominent politician - therefore all good in your simple eyes.....

Still waiting for you to amend your lies about me in post 6536 or are you unable to do so?

It's like trying to say that because you had a good encounter with an American cop, who wished you a good day etc that there are not serious issues with systemic racial discrimination in the American police.

• Advertisement

Bear in mind Republicans killed retired elderly members of the security forces because they had once worked for the state, they shot a shop owner because he would not discriminate on who he served etc. Imagine if the boot was on the other foot and the murder of shop owners or takeaway owners was been justified because they served Republican extremists?

You see here's the problem- Loyalist paramilitaries acted in the same manner. Often these paramilitaries were in, or had linkw to, state security to enable them to carry out said attacks. They were also enabled and assisted by state forces in evading justice at times.

The boot was on the other foot yet you are unable to understand this....because you met some nice army men on your "thousands" of jaunts north.

Loyalist paramilitaries acted in the same manner. 

They labelled people because of the sport they supported or the church were they worshipped and tortured and killed them

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Alot of this arguing is pointless. I don't think anyone in their right mind could deny that Northern Ireland was an apartheid state. The catholic/nationalist population were severely mistreated and abused, even violently, by the ruling protestant/unionist population. The state was set up like this, state bodies allowed it, and even encouraged it. Can this realistically be denied?

In situations like this, as has occured all over the world, there was violent resistance to injustice. They were bleak times, but the IRA were not created in a vacuum.

If you can't understand why extremely marginalized and terrified people would have felt that violent resistance was a valid option, given how the state operated, you don't understand human beings. I doubt all Palestinians agree with Hamas, but the dire situation they were in made them see violent extremists as a viable option.

Recognizing the situation that lead to the growth of the IRA doesn't mean you condone the actions.

It is completely unbalanced to abhor the IRA and not abhor the conditions that lead to them gaining so much power, which Downcow and Francis McM, you don't seem to do... I don't know why that is.

Francis McM, you said you condemn illegal actions on the troubles. Do you condemn the BA massacres at Ballymurphy and Derry on Bloody Sunday? They weren't illegal actions.

Recognising the almost universally agreed history of NI's sectarian governance would not aid in the victimhood narrative.

Still haven't the decency to amend your other lies.

Deplorable to have to use a mans death to make your self look better on an anonymous forum. Shameful and depraved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh here we go again with the labelling francie. So where is your evidence that fair is an exclusively unionist group?

I have always said that, 50 years back, there was discrimination against catholics in ni and against Protestants in roi. I never have denied that. But that was 1960. We are in 2024 now

Again with the conditional answer emphasizing your need for divide.

To equate the two is deliberate misleading.

They were founded by Willie Fraser who stayed loyalist paramilitaries convicted of sectarian crimes should never have been locked up.

that not enough?

• Advertisement

I don’t think you have any sense of what it is like to be a unionist and live in an area dominated by sf and republicans. The past was horrendous but it continues more subtly. Eg I have just had the Grab All Association knock my door this evening. They ‘offered’ me a raffle ticket. The proceeds off it would help a very ill child and also for their facilities development. Simply disgusting. Hold two raffles if you wish, but don’t get hoy facilities built on the back of a terminally ill child.

I dare not say no. I put my hand in my pocket and, against my wishes, contributed the gaa club.

do you guys think that is all right

1) to lean on the minority unionist community - monetising on their fear and isolation

2) link the fundraising campaign to a sick child

i would be disgusted if the orange called door to door in a unionist area and leaned on nationalists.

these scumbags make me angry!

Advertisement