Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many middle aged Irishmen have let themselves go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The OP is concerned with how others are looking because it's a normal feasible standard he holds himself up to and finds it bewildering others can't just do something as simple as looking after themselves.

And he's right. It is shocking, and it is annoying people clap back and say never mind them. Why not though? a standard is being let go, a very good standard being self-pride in appearance. What never mind people getting fatter? never mind people turning up to Christenings in Lpool jerseys?

Self-pride in appearance has numerous positive effects. Exercise, which literally translates positively into every other aspect of your life. A healthy weight, we all know the health benefits of that, namely not dying early.

Clothes are divisive, but dressing for what works for you aesthetically and actual individual attention to what works for your body cut/fit wise and not slapping any brand on you like you're a walking billboard will do wonders.

I don't care for all this live and let live. I don't want Ireland to be steeped in a myriad of health problems and everyone looking unhealthy, unhappy and miserable. What is wrong with an expected standard in appearance? nothing. It builds positive expectations individually and that is great collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

^ The two are so separate for me that I do not think I could ever write a post that treats them so interchangeably like that. I am all for fitness and healthy living and healthy eating like you describe above. All for "looking after yourself". All for wanting an Ireland full of physically and mentally healthy people. Though unless someone asks for input or advice on the subject I generally keep my opinions and standards entirely to myself and never preach or judge.

But fashion and clothing for me simply is not part of that. Even a little. So it is difficult to get myself into the head space to see where someone like the OP is coming from or understanding their priorities there. It would be difficult for me to put any less thought into my clothing choices than I already do. I assume if I was a complete fashion disaster my girlfriends might mention something. But perhaps not as I suspect they are about as interested in fashion sense as I am.

Hell I went through Tesco to get some store cupboard items yesterday in my full blue Jujitsu Gi. If I saw someone at a Christening in a Liverpool top like you describe - I would not for a moment make a value judgement on any level. I would at most notice he is a Liverpool fan and store that data for possible later use. It's nice to know what people are into.

But I can not remember the last time I even noticed - let alone cared - what another person was wearing. Let alone people I do not even know at all and am merely passing in the street - or to contemplate how attractive or not their clothes make their ass look. That seems maybe even a bit creepy to me. Is the attractiveness of the asses of strangers really something people give genuine head space to? That really is fascinating. Humans be fascinating and sometimes leave me feeling like I am some alien external observer to their interesting patterns and concerns and behaviors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What's wrong with being bald, we **** rock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Why would you go to the supermarket in a Gi? Anyone doing martial arts always changes at the Dojo unless they are children. Those things just soak up sweat, so as soon as you go outside your cold and weat. It’s also a magnet for any ‘hard-men’ looking for a fight.

I was on the way TO the school not on the way home. So sweat was not yet an issue. But to answer your question I was just seriously short on time as the trip to Tesco was not planned and factored into my plans last minute. So I decided to throw my stuff on at home and just get out the door so I could go straight in the door and straight to the mats to teach and not keep my students waiting.

But yes it would be odd and not normal behavior as you say. Just how the dice fell yesterday and a quick time saving decision. The only point being that generally I put zero thought into what I wear where or what anyone who sees me might actually think or not think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

You never know when a BJJ match might break out you have to be prepared!

Hehehe true :) But having said that I have heard from a few sources now that John Danaher basically walks around everywhere in a Rash Guard. It's basically his daily wear. Matt Serra claims he even wore one to his otherwise Formal wedding.

So I think I can be forgiven for showing up in Tesco just once in my gear because I was short on time :)

In true Danaher style when he was once asked why he does this he had a very long deeply thought out answer which had something like 9 or 10 sub parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭foxsake

I'm mid40 I work out in gym and still going to kickboxing. I'm in good nick and I've been told I look a lot younger - I don't think I do tbh but just many men my age just settle for middle age instead of fighting it. on nights out some of my friends rock up dressed like my granddad used to in his 60s. I'm like ffs .

I think the difference is that for me it's important to feel & move well. one of my biggest fears is to be that old man hobbling down the road taking 20mins for a walk that should be 5. Or unable to manage my own baggage in the supermarket. I train for this - the decent looks will come from that.

if its important to you , you'll make the time and effort. and it's ok if it's not important but don't get pissy when you're passed over in the looks department.

I think though its the entire society cos women arent any better. I'm happily married but if I wasn't Id struggle to find a irish woman my own age who is attractive. There are some in the gym tbf but not that many.

I was in france during summer and it was as stark difference how older women - not all of course - exuded a attractive vibe even though they were clear mid / late 40s plus. Its something you don't see in Ireland.

I think irish people rely too much on excuses - kids / job etc... I did all that and I was in the gym at 6am (and still am) to make it work

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MrRigsby

It’s a matter of priorities. A lot of those guys are probably too busy out grafting (while the younger generation are nancying around gyms , designer clothes shops and barber shops ) to be worrying about their image . That’s why they most likely own their own house , have a nice pension to look forward to and aren’t worried about the future or your opinion on their appearance. Many women consider these things more attractive in a man than a nice hairdo, a pair of designer jeans or a six pack . I know loads of those guys , I am one of those guys . Meanwhile many of the perfectly groomed Adonis types are potless and living in their mothers spare room or renting .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement

your correct on the priorities point - 100% correct - but the rest is nonsense and utter cope on your part.

The notion that a fit good looking man cant be well off is bizarre.

anyway your health is your wealth . Not one fella I know earns much more than me doesn't work an inordinate amount of hours. and its shows on their faces and in their bodies.

You have a weird concept of what diet and fitness consists of. It costs no time to eat right - which is actually the main thing. and most training should be no more than 90min a session - a few times a week like you don't need any more.

Incidentally specific to me - I own my own house bought when I was 24, decent pension i hope . I earn enough that my wife works in the home and will do till the youngest in in secondary. And I train 5-6 times a week because its important to me . That is probably the same amount of time many lads (and ladies ) are winding down watching tv.

`

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭crusd

Better the 40 something letting them self go a little than the 30 something off to Turkey to get pubes glued to their head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

That’s the other extreme. While I think it’s important to look good, I also think it’s totally daft and sad when I see these people getting pube plugs, Turkey teeth and bad dye/tan jobs. My cousin calls Turkey teeth “a mouthful of Wavin” 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

It really sounds like the elephant in the room is having children or not having children. which opens another huge debate.... how many really regrewt having children? im 40 and not married or any childlren in fact im currently single. My friend is 43 also childless and single, he actually tells people he never wants children. with all the costs assosicated its hard to make a case for having children these days compared to your life without them

I guess you can say the same thing about many hobbies too. Many hobbies can be massively expensive. So if you found yourself having to "make the case" for it and defend it - then on paper it probably makes no sense at all. Some people even go massively go into debt for their pursuits or interests or drives in life.

But whether it be hobbies or parenting or something else - if you want to do it enough then that justifies the investment of time and money to yourself. And if you find yourself justifying it to anyone else or "making a case" I guess it's worth wondering why you care what they think.

I have turned down no small number of promotions and raises because I did not want to affect my work/life balance with my children and my personal pursuits. So far I have not a single regret. Nor do I regret the choice to become a parent. Really enjoying all of it. Our financial position certainly does not justify any of it :)

the post you quoted he is in a demanding job but ultimately its his choice to work as hard as he does. Or his choice not to make the time like getting up at 0530 to train for example his point #3 - remove the Irish dancing and it's exactly same as I managed with my wife for last 2 decades.

he mentions testosterone which is kinda true just over-blown. the drop isn't huge and only starts in your 40s. ironically one of the best ways to mitigate that is to train weights. you can build muscle and strength at any age.

I've 3 kids - one is grown up now . they never hindered my training bar the odd occasion and as I said above - kids or no kids nothing prevents you eating a half decent diet. my childless friends don't look any better than the average irish punters. they have more time and disposable income so they eat out more and drink more.

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

For me I think training was actually helped by my kids rather than hindered. In that firstly I started to try new things over the past 13+ years that I never did before - because I was trying those things with them to help them find out what they are into. And secondly I started to train my kids things from a very early age that I knew myself. And one great way to move forward in any area is to start teaching it. Physical or mental - when you move from learning to teaching it forces you to rethink it and can end up making you better for it.

Not so much these days but I used to get some heavy push back when I talked about what I teach my children or do with my children. On and off line. Nowadays people barely bat an eyelid on or off line. So things seem to have changed.

But when I mention that I have been teaching my kids to fight and defend themselves since they were 2-3 years old - or that my daughter has been learning to shoot guns since she was 10 - I often got quite vicious push back. Mostly online but offline too. Everything from "child abuse" to "destroying innocence" and more. But these days if I mention any of that people barely register it.

Then again I have had calls of "child abuse" to "destroying innocence" online for merely mentioning that we did not do the whole Santa Clause thing with any of our kids. So perhaps the bar for what constitutes abuse was pretty low for awhile but the pendulum of softness and recreational outrage has just been swinging back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is the teaching how to shoot guns for recreational purposes or defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The opposite of the Johnny Bravo look. 😆 And the skin tight leggings that a lot of young wans wear nowadays further accentuate the booty.

• Advertisement

Recreation for the most part. But you never know how anything you learn in life might ultimately end up coming to your defense. I do a lot of running with my kids. They can run a good speed over a good distance. That is just for sport too. But who knows - it also might save their life one day. Lifting weights is sport and fitness too. If the house is on fire some day perhaps they might be able to physically carry an unconscious sibling out of the house and save their lives.

I rarely think of anything I teach them as self defense - even actual self defense! I focus on all the other benefits and motivations for learning such things. But in the end everything I teach them has the potential to save their life, or have them save someone else's life, given the right scenario. I view that as just a nice side effect rather than the primary agenda.

I never even thought of teaching my kids about guns really until I saw the video below. I mentioned the video to a guy I know who actually has guns in Ireland (which is obviously less common than in the US) and he kindly offered to teach us all and has been ever since. Even bought my daughter (13) her own gun. Though its not stored here but at said friend's place. But it's entirely "hers" as no one else uses it.

I won’t be watching that. But good to know it’s primarily for recreational purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Wait, what? Am I seeing the same video below? 😂

Yeah that would generally be my approach to many things with my kids. Even when teaching them a genuine life skill for good reasons - I prefer to teach them through recreation and not make it some big serious thing. Exceptions exist of course. But learning should be fun when it can be I believe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Probably busy working hard and raising kids; and have sacrificed self care for their families well being.

In my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Remember, place the oxygen mask over your face before your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Can we get back on topic. OP don’t be like your dog. Post a picture of your stylish self and we can close this thread down and all can bath in your glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭yagan

My friend who is an undertaker told me that about a decade ago he had to start stocking oversized coffins and that usually in these cases the deceased is a couple of decades younger than his average customer.

When I lived in England I got chatting to an paramedic who said they now have heavier bariatric ambulances which require a HGV license to drive. The worst case he personally encountered was a lady who had become a shut in a upstairs bedroom. They had to close the road, remove the bedroom window and winch her out with a heavy duty crane.

I won't be surprised if we're well on the way there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm a commuter cyclist myself and do about 9km in the morning and then 9km home from work in the evening. It's not loads but it's enough to get my heart rate up if I do it quickly.

Was wondering yesterday what the average commuting distance is in Dublin - 9.8km. So 0.8km longer than my easily manageable cycle.

It did make me then wonder how many people I see driving to work in cars / stuck in traffic are only going these short distances and how much healthier they'd all be (and the roads far less congested) if they were on bikes. Its actually pretty bloody lazy.

Advertisement