Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many middle aged Irishmen have let themselves go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

😀😀that was in jest

If you wear those jogging shoes that have individual toes though it's a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

no i wear a knackered pair of asics with holes in them, need to change them actually

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just wrap them in tape and you'll get another few years out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I think I do too much of a variety of things to be even able to "over do" any one of them. I guess if I was only doing one thing my obsessiveness would maybe lead me to overdoing it and injuring myself. But I do Jujitsu, Capoeira, Tai chi, Bo Staff, home gym, horse riding, archery with a heavy poundage, running, balance training, gardening and more. So I simply do not have the time for any one of those things to over do it before I go on to the next one.

Jujitsu, Capoeira and "knees over toes guy" stuff do help with flexibility. I do not play ball games very often. Hardly ever. I truly suck at any and all ball games. But my turns would be quite fast because of those three things feeding into them. If your turns are slowing and you have not already done so - check yourself out some Knees over toes guy :) Might just help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The obsessive hatred, anger and bile that one or two posters on here have for that particular demographic is really quite something to behold. Very strange altogether.

As I said in an earlier post the main motivation for all my hobbies and health pursuits is also my depression and anxiety and low self esteem and self hatred. Most people who know me do not know I have these things. Because the way I live has basically buried it entirely. It will come back some day when I am too old to keep it buried any longer. So it is a war I will ultimately lose. But I fully intend to win every battle between then and now and keep it buried as long as I can. And right now I could not at all be happier I think. I can pratically feel the demons still in there dying to get out again. Especially if I slip in my discipline and routines. But they are not going to get me any time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What posters and what demographic? Cheers Rothko.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the research is in the deaths of thin fit wirey cross country types.. can no one read

and that is a shite article

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well, you certainly got rather vexed when others pointed out that using BMI to determine a healthy weight wasn't reliable, so I hope that helped.

• Advertisement

Yea I have done the whole gamut of things from CBT to drugs to everything else. Healthy Eating, sleeping and physical activity combined with mindfulness and Vipassana basically has me entirely on top of things. And I am entirely content and happy and living a life full of meaning and fulfilment. And I expect I will be for many a year to come. It's work. And it always will be I am sure. I look at it like mental diabetes. Many diabetics live perfectly normal and fulfilled lives and you would not even know they are diabetics. They just have to self monitor closely and stay on top of their condition.

When I finally "Let myself go" as the thread is about - it will be on my terms I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

This OAP isn't letting himself go

no, it is reliable, its just a bit of math, people seem a bit to thick to get that

I'll direct you to my first post on the subject

i'll leave you to your own vexation

This morning,

My max has been 3 hours 42 minutes

Maximum elevation

I'm 65 and started back on the treadmill 2 years back

I was getting lazy ish

Yeah I was up to 24 km walks etc

But I wasn't in a regime

Now I eat good

Train hard

Luckily off the booze 11 years

Never smoked

Have 2 great grandchildren OTW in 2 weeks ( ish)

I want to be around and active for as long as possible to enjoy the kids being around

we need some more pics before we can say if we'd tap that ass or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

This discussion has made me think back on what once seemed acceptable but wouldn't be nowadays.

I remember retiring to the bar being a very real and respected thing in our town. When my wife's father died suddenly in the 70s her doctor recommended she take up smoking to keep herself occupied.

I wonder what letting ones self go meant at that time. Perhaps wearing unironed clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Well apparently we’re all supposed to be wearing sunscreen, even in winter as sun damage is a major factor in aging skin.

Ha ha vg

My point is if an old bastard' like me can push himself

Should be no bother to guys in their late 30 S - early 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

the opening sentiment is probably explained by mother nature.We keep ourselves as good /attractive as possible during the procreation years and once they are past some people continue with their beauty regime and some say feck it ,why bother anymore.Neither is right,or wrong,just the way of the world.Doubt the numbers of those letting themselves go has increased,although I would think its mostly related to payback.If your a hunk and exercise /dieting keeps you a hunk you will probably keep it up,if you feel the payback is significant less for you with on going maintenance then chances are you will settle into that dad/Uncle BOD and focus your energies elsewhere.

@monkeybutter @Eibhir @john rambo

the three of your are posting in an absolutely disgraceful manner. I actually don’t even know which one of the posts to focus on so I’ll do it this way.

Do not post in this thread again, any of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m not sure if I could be considered a member of the ‘let himself go’ club.

Eating habits are not brilliant but not terrible either, Chocolate most evenings, takeaway on a Sunday, sausage rolls on a Saturday morning. Otherwise I eat well. Weetabix or porridge with fruit and nuts for breakfast. Sandwich for lunch, reasonably healthy dinners, maybe portions a bit bigger than necessary.

Im probably half a stone heavier than I’d like. I’m not as active over winter months. I definitely could do with being more active overall.

I don’t consider myself a snappy dresser. I have a decent enough wardrobe. I prioritise comfort over style but I still try to wear decent fitting clothes and avoid tracksuits and fleeces.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Smoking as well. It is a lot easier to tell if a woman has smoked when younger.

😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alexus25

Very few men can get away with a bald head, i know its expensive but if I was a guy I'd be getting hair implants, but then appearance is important to be and I invest in it, so I expect it in the other person too

Advertisement