Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So many middle aged Irishmen have let themselves go

Options
  • 13-03-2024 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I’ve noticed a lot of Irish men in my age bracket and above looking horrific for their age. No dress sense whatsoever, preferring to dress up in outdated fleeces, terrible fitting jeans that only emphasise their skinny legs and complete lack of an ass, and the ugliest runners they can find. No attempt to maybe start shaving their heads to hide their bald patches and receding hairline peninsulas. So many of them smoke also, helping to prop up the declining tobacco industry by themselves. It’s like a lot of them are stuck in a time long since passed. I wonder are they in bits because they never changed anything about their lifestyle since the 90’s or do they just stop giving a sh!t about themselves once they reach a certain age. I’m 44 now and I’ve had my fair share of injuries and issues but have no intention of ever neglecting myself and letting myself go to this extent. If I did then I would be going down a very bad road for myself physically and psychologically.

It’s great to see that many younger people are becoming a lot more health conscious these days, preferring to hit the gym rather than the pubs. Hopefully they’ll continue well into their 40’s and beyond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’d say they’re a lot happier for not worrying about other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Great. Less competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

(Zoolander)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

They call me

The Milf Magnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

Id say there happy not to be whinging about other men on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

While I admit I am saddened many people young and old are sedentary, over weight and unhealthy - in a world of alleged crises in obesity, diabetes, focus, depression and anxiety - I think I long ago grew out of being bothered by clothes or hair styles people choose. Neither are my business unless I am asked my opinion or advice.

You talk about "going down a very bad road for myself physically and psychologically". Might I suggest that if you are bothered by the Jeans on a person you do not even know - you are already on such a road?

I used to be terribly bothered by morbidly obese people choosing extremely tight Lycra. It was me with the problem not them. I got over it. And myself. And I grew up a little. :p And I discovered this wonderful function of my neck in it's ability to simply point my eyes in another direction thus allowing me to get on with my life.

In fact, unless the injuries you mentioned were particularly serious, I assure you that your neck very likely shares this function too! Perhaps give it a go. Slowly at first. Suddenly whipping your neck around if it's not already used to this function, can cause injury. Ease into it. Maybe move the jeans you do not like slowly into the periphery of your vision and work from there so that with only a few days practice you can entirely remove the offense from sight entirely with minimum thought or effort or injury. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Spot all the centrist dads with the spare tyre out attacking the OP.

OP is damned right, men expect ladies to be in top top form while they fumble under their guy looking for their belt buckle

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

In irish society if men started looking after themselves, wearing good cloths etc, then the reactions would be,

Oh he loves himself, he is getting notions, he is a narcissist

They don't have this in other cultures, look at the Latinos and how much they pay attention to their appearance but nobody makes disparaging comments about them.

Also there is a bit of hypocrisy because nobody chides women for spending lots on clothes, wearing makeup or dyeing their hair , but if a straight man was to do it, my god the comments that he would get

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I changed my wardrobe to avoid the earlier disapprobation heaped on us for wearing clothes with logos. Now I will have to ditch the new stuff I got, because it does not meet the standards applicable to the Middle Aged. And I will have to get my head shaved. It's a minefield out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm 47.

Wears a fleece daily- check.

Wears possibly terrible fitting Tesco jeans - check.

Have a fine big bald patch but I do shave my head.

Many generalisations from the OP but:

smoking is in decline (I never have)

going to the pub is in decline

gym membership and general fitness activities has never been so high

At some point, I matured and stopped being concerned at what other people thought. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP is damned right, men expect ladies to be in top top form while they fumble under their guy looking for their belt buckle

Where did you get that nugget from?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

I think alot of the overweight issues in both sexes is because of sedentary lifestyles, years ago most people worked in active physical jobs, now alot of jobs are sitting in a chair all day. No amount of gym activities or organised sport is going to counteract that. Also take way food and the deliveroo phenomenon where you get very large tasty portions delivered to you without having to do anything. Back in the day food was not that great so you just ate enough but not too much because it wasn't really that tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

i hate dressing up,i hate shaving,,im not overweight,but like my food,ill do and ware what i deem as comfortable,we will be dead a long time,and i dont give a toss what others think of me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,976 ✭✭✭✭event

You should start a self help account on Instagram. You could give loads of tips, your political opinions etc. Im sure it would be a great watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

45, full head of (greying) hair... decent shape, eat very well 6 days a week. Play ball 3 evenings a week, rocking a fresh pair of Nike Air Jordan 1's with my great arse and logoed hoody as I type.

Up yours OP... 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

What is well dressed these days probably be different next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's kind of true but the reason I'm still in great shape and look younger than I am at 42, apart from just being born good looking, is probably because I'm no kids and have time to be running and going to yoga classes and the gym all the time. My brother just went to sh*t and put on weight etc. when he had a child as he just had no time for himself but I'd like to think I'd still be able to keep it together somewhat if/when I'm in the same situation. Me moth's the same, not a pick on her and very fit but we eat well and exercise a lot. Still probably drink too much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If your trousers is above the crack of your arse, then you're overdressed I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is the OP talking about Irish mens physical shape or their dress sense.

If the former, yeah I agree lads should watch the calorie intake more and get more exercise.

If the latter, it just points up the OP as a Dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well that's not true, you can have a desk job and be in good shape once you eat well and exercise for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Back in the day potatoes, cabbages, turnips and carrots were just as good. And there was good meat, fish and poultry. Home made bread was great. Milk and eggs tasted the same. All very tasty stuff.

If people want to avoid getting overweight, they have to match their calorie intake to what they use up. That is perfectly possible for people with sedentary occupations. And if they want to exercise away from their work, that will allow them to take in more calories.

"Adults. The daily calorie requirement is greatest for adults 19 to 30 years of age. Sedentary females this age should consume 2,000 calories daily, while males need about 2,400. From 31 to 50 years of age, sedentary females need 1,800 calories daily and males need 2,200."

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

I know a guy who recently went online dating after a break-up. This guy is in his early 40s. I asked him how it was going, and he basically complained to me that all the women in his age bracket on the app looked too old for their age, were too fat, wore too much make-up, had bad teeth, etc. and that he wanted someone fit and younger.

This guy himself is hugely overweight, only lifts a hand to lift a pint and wears clothes that are all two sized too big for himself. He wants the fit girlfriend, but wouldn't dare do anything about his own style and presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

A very very naive view. I'm 46, and whilst I would love to spend a few nights in the gym and spend my money on new clothes, there are a few obstacles that you have failed to take into consideration...

1. I am 24 years in my chosen field and as a result, I'm now in senior management. This requires me to work a fair bit more. No more rolling into work at 8:55 am and dropping the tools at 5 pm.
    2. I have 2 kids. They are in school and they need help with homework and so forth. I also need to be there as a parent to help raise them.
    3. Both my kids train in GAA (hurling and football), swimming, and soccer, plus my daughter does Irish dancing. They must be dropped and collected from training. I train my daughter's team and go to both my kid's matches.
    4. They also play music so they go to lessons and the local Comhaltas.
    5. The house needs to be cleaned and maintained, meals cooked, lunches made, dishes done, clothes cleaned etc etc.

Basically, my week is as follows: I leave for work at 7:30 and get home around 6:15 Monday to Friday, sometimes later. With the kids training, Monday night is gone, as are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Saturday is full of matches and they are learning to swim on Sundays. I usually get to finally sit down around 9 / 9:30 pm most nights and then in bed for 10:30 pm and up at 6:30 am.

My wife and I split as much as possible and this leaves me some nights where I can go out into my garage and do a bit of training, or go to BJJ training. Likewise, she tries to do a bit of training when she can. You have to grab the time when you can though.

Regarding having the money for the latest fashion.... as a result of the family, we have a mortgage. We also have 2 cars that cost money to run (car insurance, motor tax, fuel, and maintenance x 2). Then you have the associated costs of being a parent such as food, electricity, broadband, life insurance, mortgage protection, home insurance, health insurance, Sky subscriptions, etc. Add to that clothing my kids, medical expenses, school costs, training costs, and so forth. Don't forget the pension, or saving for their third-level education... or holidays, Christmas, birthdays (including presents for their friend's birthdays), and other out-of-the-blue expenses.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to be bothered about fashion. I have a multitude of other expenses to worry about. I have some nice clothes, but the reality is that I wear smart casual to work Monday to Friday, and when it comes to downtime, I just want to wear shorts and a t-shirt... and CROCS - yes, I have a pair and I don't care how hideous they are. I don't care about going out because it's too much hassle. I don't care about drinking for the same reason.

I'm somewhat thin on top but I'm not shaving it because I look like an utter thug - it just doesn't suit me... and many others would say the same.

The other key thing you missed about men in their 40s is that in many cases, their testosterone has dropped and they no longer have the energy, and keeping muscle is significantly more difficult - this happens as you age. Yes, you can get TRT but there are associated risks and long-term side effects. Many suffer from legacy injuries and are probably halfway to arthritis in their knees... especially if they played GAA, Hurling, Rugby, or Soccer in their younger days.

I try my best to look after myself and train when I can. I eat healthy home-cooked food, don't smoke, and rarely drink (I haven't had a drop since Christmas).

It's not that we're stuck in the 90s, there are just more pressing and important things that take priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Listen to Brad Clooney. Stick up a few pictures of yourself there and we'll judge for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

A bit overweight? Yeah, could do with losing a few more pounds, lost a few stone over the past two years, another two I'd be in peak condition, but already fell the benefits of what I've lost already.

Dress sense? Not much of one, can scrub up well, but like comfortable clothes. No point in spending €200 on a pair of jeans when a comfortable tracksuit in Dunnes for €15 does the same job.

Exercise? A couple of times a week. Nothing much, keeping active. Tend to do more in the summer when I can bring the kids places for walks after work.

Eat crap? At least once a week have something full on like pizza and chips. Started making them at home more often than take-away, cheaper and tastier.

In the evenings I like to watch matches on TV or throw on a computer game if herself is watching something on the big TV.

By the OP's definition I've left myself go.

Truth be told, I have a good job where I work with some great people (I do maintain a professional appearance in work). I have a happy marriage, a few kids to keep me on my toes, and grand dog, I have my hobbies (mostly sport based), and we do things as a family regularly like go to beach ever few weeks, walks in the wood, the cinema.

It's not letting yourself go if you're enjoying life and not worrying about vanities.

Advertisement