Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I quite like Extreme G and XG2. XG2 was in the pile I mentioned above. But in general the N64 racers just have way too much of that fog/short draw distance/pop-in thing going on. XG3 on the PS2 was a decent leap forward I thought having picked it up in a bundle for a few cents recently and popped it in to try it out.

One that I didn't pick up was Ridge Racer 64. Love all things Ridge Racer but I hear the N64 and the DS version are largely the same and that since I have the DS I am not missing much... no idea if that is true however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Agreed on XG3, @Quigs Snr, I have the GC version and remember having a great time with it!

Not sure about RR 64 on the DS being the same but I’m sure I have it somewhere so I must to a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What do you guys think of the Starwars Pod Racer game on the n64? (I've only just realised now that it's actually called 'Star Wars Episode I: Racer'!)

Always remember it being the first time I saw the expansion pack in action. It really is a blurry mess without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It’s decent enough, @o1s1n, at least with the expansion pak. Never tried without.

The PC version is brilliant if you have the means to play it

I didn’t play it during this nostalgia fest as I was holed up away from my RetroTink 5x using an OSSC and the output resolution was freaking it out a little. As in anything not 240p or 480p isn’t worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Increased frequency mixed with overworld encounters in the 3DS remake make it an absolute doddle. The grass between Argonia and the hunting grounds has frequent encounters with 6 metal slimes at a time, then discovered there's a soft cap on skill growth if you're leveling to quickly as a result.

Started and finished The House of the Dead Remake last night on the Switch. It plays about as well as a light-gun game on the Switch was ever going to, which is to say not so great at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You usually progress from metal to liquid metal then to king slimes. Usually there's a limit to how many levels you can gain easily from them but the initial flurry of level ups after every fight is exhilarating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of levelling, I'm endlessly amused at how broken the levelling and progress is in Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. After doing a bunch of side quests and mini-games before progressing through the main quest, and I'm hilariously overpowered - but the game really doesn't give a **** and embraces the chaos of it all. An absolute joyful sprawl of a JRPG.

On a retro note though, the game also contains a port of SpikeOut. I had never played it - maybe never even heard of it before - but it's quite the thing! Definitely one of the more interesting 3D attempts at a classic brawler. It is fiendishly difficult and the levels pretty bloody long for an arcade title, but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh nice, spikeout was never ported apparently and is a model 3 game. It got a sequel on Xbox which is meant to be really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They seem to be working through all the Model 3 games in the series at the moment - this also has Sega Bass Fishing and Virtua Fighter 3 (tb version).

I was slightly disappointed when I popped into the virtual arcade - which has lost the iconic Club Sega branding after they divested irl recently :( - and Daytona 2 wasn't there, as that's restricted to the Gaiden spin-off at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was a fan, it was one of the few non-nintendo racing games that rated on the N64.

I've got it recently on Steam, and it is still pretty good.

It's a game that really deserves a proper remaster.

• Advertisement

The Sega episode 1 racer was great as well but loses a lot without the post racer cabinet.

Played a bit of hammerin' hero on PSP. It's part of the hammerin' harry series. Feels like a forgotten SNES game except it's in 2.5D.

I'm up to stage 7 in Kirby's adventure. Not played it a whole lot until now. Always wanted it as a kid as it was one of the few nintendo games that Nintendo did a massive advertising campaign for in Europe and it looks incredible. Its a huge amount of fun and really impressive for a NES game.

Still on a bit of an N64 trip. It was one I sorta missed back in the day.. PS1 was the daily driver but I picked up an N64 for Zelda, Mario and Goldeneye also. Missed most of the rest.

But the more I play it... I am not sure whether I have ever seen a console with such high, highs or low, lows. If you take out first party and games from Rare... there's almost nothing worth playing. I use price charting to keep track of what games I own and according to that I have 71 out of 263 PAL games... and honestly there's only 2 on my "to be hunted down" list... and one of them was a recommendation from earlier in this thread. So there's 190 games I couldn't be bothered with ... and I am not that fussy

It's a weird one. It more or less invented or at least perfected certain genres and some of the best franchises ever - but its library is overall a bit meh. I can't decide if I have had it upside down all the years and the gamecube was actually better after all (had it not suffered from having one of the weaker Mario mainline games selling it).

I've noticed online a lot of revisionist history going on about how amazing the N64 was but it really wasn't that great. There's some really amazing titles on it but the library is very small and there just isn't the range of experiences on the system like the PS1 had. What it had over the PS1 was the 4 controller ports which made it a breeze to set up multiplayer and most games supported that in a way. On the PS1 it was hard to find decent 4 player games and don't get me started on the crash team racing is better than mario kart brigade.

All I'll say is don't sleep on Sin and Punishment which is the secret best N64 game.

Good shout. Because I have absolutely zero impulse control I am going to buy sin and punishment and a jap n64 to play it on. If it’s half as good as its Wii successor it will be worth it. Best check if there’s any other jap exclusives worth a look whilst I am there.

Hint, if you have a US model N64 you can just cut some buts of plastic out of the cart slot and make it a us and jap NTSC machine.

You should probably have a NTSC machine anyway PAL games really suffer badly on the N64 and it locks you out of doing a RGB mod.

Master of the Universe

You can pick up modded N64s too that support both PAL and NTSC games. I've one I got years back that plays US, Jap and EU games. RGB modded too.

Not that I ever really want to play my PAL games but it's nice to have the option. 😁

I can't even think of a PAL exclusive worth playing. Genuinely there's usually something weird like the Firemen or Alien Soldier but nothing comes to mind with the N64.

According to the daily mail I’ve missed the boat lads. Gonna cost me at least 25k for Mario kart 64 and a machine to play it on..

Article is hilarious “high quality copies are now becoming rare as cartridges decay over time”. Doesn’t mention anything about the games being sealed/graded etc.. I can picture CEX being swamped with folks shouting about how they “know what they’ve got” and have “done their research”.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Looks to only be four PAL exclusives. Which makes sense given how few games there actually are on the console.

F-1 World Grand Prix II

F1 Racing Championship

Premier Manager 64

Taz Express

Tempted to pick up Taz Express, first I've heard of it.

... I might put Taz Express on the list too, if its a rare example of a PAL exclusive that's actually passable.

Master of the Universe

I found a few Gcon hacks for PS1 games while sorting my romsets this evening, Die Hard Trilogy, Lethal Enforcers and Crypt Killer.

I actually tried finding the Die Hard Trilogy and Lethal Enforcers ones before but didn't have too much luck getting them going. Gas to think I had them on my NAS the whole time.

Sent them over to Mister, connected up the Gcon and they work brilliantly. Nice to have a few extra games to add to the Lightgun library! Particularly Die Hard 2 running on a cabinet. So much gun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The series may be light on challenge, but they do tend to stretch the hardware they run on.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 on the SNES and the 3DS titles are case and point, they are remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Dragon Quest Monsters: Dark Prince is pretty much DQ8 vibes with the Dragon Quest Monsters loop bolted onto it. It absolutely screams that of end-of-console lifespan cult classic vibe that invariably means it's going to end up costing you a kidney in 5 years.

I'll have to buy a copy or two an stash it away for my retirement!

Felt like playing a PS2 game. Originally was going to make another attempt at Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter until I realised I've only the PAL version on the hard disk which was absolutely ruined by the changes they made to it.

Decided instead on Steambot Chronicles. It's an irem developed open world sandbox game featuring petrol powered mechs that have tank controls. And when I say tank controls I'm mean real tank controls, think Katamari. The first thing to get over is the controls. It's one of those annoying game that doesn't let you invert the axis in a menu. I'm one of gods chosen that inverts the y-axis so I'm ok there but it's one of those Japanese games that inverts the X axis. It's not as bad as it seems since this only applies to walking around, the mech controls better.

The mechs are also tough to get used to but you'll give it time and it's second nature.

When I say that steambot chronicles is an open world sandbox, I mean it more like an actual sandbox game and not something like GTA. You are locked into a path at first but the game eventually opens up and you can go anywhere and take part in a variety of minigames and subquests, most of which is where the main charm of the game lies. It's a game you just relax and get lost in its charming world. Theres multiple decisions for you to make that dictate the outcome of the story. It's got a lot more in common with Shenmue than modern open world games. There's a lot of emphasis on music. The main group you hang around with are a touring band and you can play a variety of musical instruments, each one with its own rhythm minigame.

That game kind of doesn't have the budget to keep up with all ideas the game has. I find it looked very charming even if not cutting edge. There are some glaring graphical problems, like an inconsistent framerates, polygon tearing and screen tearing. I think it's worth putting up with though just experience the world. Sometimes it will even surprise you with the scale of some of the enemies and bosses

Anyway I'm looking forward to travelling through this world while busking with a group of mech riding musicians.

The sequel was in development for PS3 but was cancelled when item closed down. Granzella seem to have picked up the rights to most item properties and even made Disaster Report 4, another game that was cancelled when item closed. The director of the company was the producer of the game and has said he would love to do a sequel or remake but there's been no word on it for a while and he is worried it wouldn't sell. There's some tgs footage of the game which looked well into development and also really good.

Master of the Universe

The PS2 really is great for just finding random games that turn out to be incredibly interesting. I've never heard of that at all. Quite like the visuals. I see it actually had a UK PAL release, wonder is the X axis inverted in that too?

Still have to get back to Front Mission 5 myself, I was really really enjoying that. My 'big mech' itch is currently being scratched by Faselei! on the NGP.

How are you getting on with faselei!? I never managed to get past I think the 3rd mission which is the first proper challenging one. I think I needed to grind a little more and I kept running out of ammo. Kimimi had a great write up on it recently and I want to get back into it and I've quite enjoyed Sacnoths other games.

They really fucked up Dragon Quarter in PAL regions. It's a rogue like game but got hammered in the US as the genre wasn't understood. So they changed the game for the worst. You can't carry stuff over from a failed run of the game and even worse is they totally fucked up the save system. In the original you had to spend save tokens at save points to save, like the ribbons in Resi. It wasn't a big deal. However you could make a temporary save anywhere which was deleted on loading the game. This is pretty much essential as it can be 1-2 hours between save points.

So what did they do in the PAL version, they start you with 10 save tokens and removed the quick save meaning you have to play for ages to save. It ruins the game.

Anyway if you do try it gets the NTSC version. It's a wonderful game and once you get the third character the battle system becomes incredible. Wonderful Hitoshi Sakamoto soundtrack as well, it's more electronic than his other stuff, so more Gradius V than FF Tactics.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You really need to do a lot of pre prep before going into missions alright. Particularly loading up on ammo, it really does catch you out. I honestly don't know how anyone possibly played it on an original console without a backlight. You'd need to be sitting in the middle of the Sahara with the sun absolutely beaming down on the screen to configure your mechs properly.

I find it amazing how misunderstood a lot of roguelikes were for a very long time in the west, particularly given how many early seminal titles were actually western games. I played Nethack a lot in the late 90s but apart from that, don't think I fully really understood the genre until the likes of The Binding of Isaac in the early 2010's.

Advertisement