Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't GAA matches sell out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think you "get" the gaa ethos.

The players don't get paid - they are not professional.

The thing with dublin is the playing numbers are on their side and to be fair to them, they have spent whatever money was coming in wisely.

I am not saying anything negative about the dubs etc - just pointing out some of the "Issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

the thread asks why dont gaa matches sell out, so since an input from non-gaa fans from an outside view would be needed for an honest opinion. maybe im the right person to give an answer? if i was a fan of gas giving an answer, there would be a bias. a clear unbiased answer is more pure and less of a conflict of interest one would think.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

you are right about that, i don't really get the gaa ethos at all and why people call it the gah instead of saying JEE AY AY.

wait what? they don't get paid?...... this is baffling. They're just playing for the enjoyment of the sport and for the sake of winning then?

if they are all playing voluntarily then how can onne even compare them to premiere league?

Dublin is heavily populated, i know ur not hating on dubs, it feels like common sense that the more populated areas would have access to more players/talent. its okay to point out issues on any side, i honestly don't mind it at all. its nice to have an open conversation about these things. i'm all for it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

True but there's a lot of back slapping in the GAA about just how hardcore and deep the support for county teams is, when it's actually one of the most fickle fanbases around. If a huge crowd attends a big game that's novel for that county, we're told that this is proof of how dedicated the fans are, when really it points to the opposite conclusion; vast numbers of fans actually don't attend 95% of their counties games.

I'm from Meath and you'll often see references to Meath fans as "long suffering" since about 2001, but only a small proportion of followers are doing that suffering. Ask any self professed GAA fan in Meath whether they'll head to Páirc Tailteann on a given weekend to watch the footballers and there's a huge chance you'll get told "God no I couldn't go to watch that, they're useless". But if (very big if) Meath ever won anything of significance again, we'd be told that it's just reward for the many fans who have been put through the wringer over the years, when in reality most of Meath stopped caring when we stopped being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The condensed season must be having an effect on crowds too. This weekend sees the 3rd weekend in a row for inter county football teams. For Galway, that meant Omagh - Salthill - Clones. Its a fair bit of travel over just 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Clare played Wexford in an All-Ireland quarter final in 2018 and the attendance was 10,255. In that context I'd say 4k for a League game in February between these two teams is actually quite good. Not sure what you were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,809 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I go to almost every game but it does make me think twice about going to away games when I know I have 80e in tickets and about 50e in trains coming in April for the Munster championships. That's before factoring in food and the evening out that usually follows championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Isn't an attendance of 10k for a quarter final of the top tier hurling championship a rubbish attendance too though?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rjoe90

100% that is a very low attendance for an all Ireland quarter final from two well followed teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Maybe but that's a different argument. I have no basis for guessing what to expect from these counties in terms of attendance other than what actually has happened. My point was that a League match between the two attracted a crowd of 40% of what a knockout championship match (not pumped by event-junkies like an All Ireland final is) between the same two counties pulled. That's as much as might reasonably be expected in a League game in February in those circumstances I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Which is essentially the crux of my underlying question. Intercounty hurling teams get maybe 6 home games a year between the championship and league. With such a small number of games, it's bizarre to me that people are happy to view half of those games as "just the league". Surely there should be a clamour for more games, not less?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Its not set up in hurling to be very attractive. Take my own county, Galway, as an example, we've had the choice to go see Westmeath get tanked, travel to Belfast to watch Antrim get tanked or go to Thurles for 3.45pm throw in on a sunday evening, then travel home on terrible roads in the pitch black. There's not a lot of wet the appetite there. I'll go watch them play Limerick and possibly Dublin but yet again in a case of the GAA not caring a jot about fan opinion, thats in Pearse stadium which is almost universally despised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The local stadiums could definitely do more to attract people in. The focus should be on making it an experience rather than just investing in more capacity. I remember when I first moved to America I went to a minor league baseball game in the town I worked in. This would be a low division full of back ups to an MLB team, so not a glamour fixture. But in their small stadium they had a whole range of food options, all really good and reasonably priced, a few different bars with your basic beers in one, and more IPA stuff in another. They had a whole kid's play area with bouncy castles, slides, even a splash park (which we might not have the weather for, to be fair). They would have themed nights like fireworks night, star wars night (the kids all get glow in the dark light sabres on the way in). And they had a nice merchandise shop as well.

The place was packed with locals every time they played, because it was about 10 dollars to get in and there was stuff for kids and adults to do there. Make it a nice destination for an easy day out and don't try and gouge people for the privilege. I went numerous times and I couldn't give a fiddlers about baseball.

It just takes a bit of imagination, which is in short supply in Ireland. Thinking of Nowlan Park, behind the new stand there is a huge amount of space that's just empty gravel, which could easily be put to good use. The one really great thing they do is let kids on the field at half time to puck ball, and they're trying to stamp that out.

Interesting. I guess though that the other thing there is that baseball teams play like 100+ games a year, so there's loads of home games to attract a crowd. So is the stadium better because of the regular games? Or are the crowds there because it's a better stadium? Or a mix of both.

No thanks.

A stadium is to watch a match in. I would rather it be empty than full of drunks and posers like the rugby is now. If you are not entertained by the sport then don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That 2018 match was played in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, and that fact in itself turned many people off. It's an even worse trip from Wexford than Thurles is, and added to the fact that we were rank outsiders (as shown by the end result), many Wexford people who might have attended if it was in a different venue chose to stay at home instead.

Likewise, PUC is not a convenient trip from Clare either, and since they could be reasonably confident about winning it, am guessing many of their supporters decided "we'll just wait for the next match instead".

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rjoe90

Agree with you, to be honest I don’t remember that match but can see why it drew such a small crowd. Limerick and Kilkenny that year in the all Ireland quarter final was in Thurles and had a great crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That match was in the middle of a heatwave in a stadium that's next to impossible to get to at 3 on a Saturday. The match itself had very little build up, Clare had lost the Munster final and were expected to win handy, Wexford had come third in Leinster. A losers playoff is a hardsell for any sport. If I remember correctly Clare had almost 10 times the number in attendance in the semi-final, then again that did goto a replay with the second game being held in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd actually forgotten it was a Saturday afternoon match rather than Sunday, so yes, that would have been a factor as well.

For what it's worth, I go to most Wexford matches myself, but I don't mind admitting that I gave that one a miss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If I remember correctly the match was on TV, I wasn't at it myself as my brother in law got married the same day, if I didn't have that excuse I would have had another 1 I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Up to about 2010 the football championship was usually competitive and fairly open, but that's long gone now. These days only about 3 counties a year have a chance of winning, but mostly its Dublin, and Kerry if Dublin have an off year.

Making the league the premier competition would be a radical step but certainly bring some life back and that goes for football and hurling. But the GAA don't really do radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you want that sort of entertainment you go to the funfair or circus not a GAA game.

Well the original point you were making was that there's so few games it's surprising the attendance isn't higher so it would suggest that more games would lead to fewer in attendance on average.

Not sure why a bunch of things to make an event family friendly would make it a haven for drunks and posers, are you expecting then to show up for the kids bouncy castle? They already have a bar at croke Park and it doesn't do any harm. I am not a fan of rugby for a few reasons and one is that at big events people are up and down like a hoors knickers for pints, but we already have the solution in the GAA: you can't bring a drink to your seat. Simple. You don't have to go on the bouncy castle yourself breezy you can just watch the match. But if the subject of the thread is increasing attendances, there's a simple suggestion that I made.

I agree with you, if you want entertainment, you definitely shouldn't attend football. So...what's your suggestion for increasing attendances?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Your comparison to soccer is a good one but if you ever try to get a ticket to a premier league game, difficult as it may be, it's much more difficult to get one for a Champions league game.

Same in rugby, you want to see Munster play in Musgrave this weekend tickets were available until recently on Ticketmaster (possibly still are?) but a home European game will normally sell out well in advance

My point is in a nutshell that different competitions sell different numbers of tickets

I don't know if your comparing like with like there, very rarely any Munster matches sell out now, often they don't even bother opening up sections of the ground. Premiership clubs often have smallish grounds with big season ticket holders, there's often tickets available but never on general sale because of restrictions in sales.

1 thing the GAA has to do better is realize they are in the entertainment industry, the main event is what will bring in lots of supporters, free under 16s even better but what is there to convince a casual fan to part with €20 to see a league match in February??

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

€20 for Kilkenny v Offaly in Nowlan Park the other day felt a bit steep.

I was in Croke Park on Saturday and had the misfortune of sitting on an aisle. Constant streams up and down. People also out the back having pints with the game on.

I have no problem with your bouncy castles which is why I didn't mention them. Fancy dress day no thanks though.

Munster's European games don't even come close to selling out these days. That bandwagon got a good lick of green paint and was carted off through Mayorstone.

Not sure what you can do about the league. When the fans, media and teams are all saying "it's only the league" what more can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rdser

People might say stick to the rugby or soccer for the entertainment, but the match day 'experience' sells tickets and more importantly repeat customers.

If you're going to talk about filling stadiums, that can't be discounted. The purists are in the minority in most stadiums in most sports, so it's how you get the casual fan to buy tickets, fills the rest of the place. The GAA are not good in that respect imo.

Advertisement