Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't GAA matches sell out?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Often times GAA grounds are very empty because they feature huge terraces behind each goal that are not that expensive to build and are quite old pulling up the overall capacity massively.

But in reality most seats in the main stands will be used. If Kerry were to do a redevelopment they'd need to spend about 30M alone doing up one of the stands along the side and it would be money well spent.

The overall GAA crowds yearly are astonishing and it's money well spent. Especially in Kerry. Add up everyone who attended a club or county game in Kerry and for a small county it's huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Westernview

You're getting into semantics. The point I'm making is whether it's back doors (which it was) or round robins (which it is now) both have weakened the provincials and consequently the interest in provincials. To use your term 'warm up tournaments' for the top counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Did they not change that, and are charging them now? Or maybe it was just proposed but didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Still free but you need to book a ticket I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

Okay, at least you are getting my point. Now to refer back to the original point which is that the attendance of Clare-Wexford in the League was about what might be expected if not more than might be expected.

The post you have just provided seems to say that there was a bigger crowd at the Clare-Tipperary game because more Clare and Tipperary people travelled which is fairly obvious really. I never was getting into trying to explain any of this.. I just took issue with a claim that Wexford-Clare game recently in the League had a poor attendance and that the Limerick-Kilkenny attendance in 2018 was "great". Neither appears to be the case when you look at what might have been expected in the context of comparable fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭rjoe90

The original comment was about Wexford and Clare in the all Ireland quarter final in 2018 which had a disappointing crowd of 10 thousand - which is pretty abysmal for an all Ireland quarter final.

Actually the original comment was a reference to National League attendance of 4,000 between the counties (Clare-Wexford) which was considered poor. I know this because I was the one who mentioned the quarter-final (Clare-Wexford) attendance in reply (it's on page 3 with the original post included) to provide a context which maybe shows that the National League attendance at 40% of a championship game played at the height of the summer between the same teams was actually reasonably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Comfort does absolutely come into it. For a country where is rains pretty much all the time it's farcical that 3/4's of all county grounds are uncovered terraces.

If you're undecided about going to a game and look out the window and it's pissing rain it's hardly enticing to know you'll have to spend two hours out in the elements if you do go and can't get your hands on a stand ticket.

Why is it that GAA standards for a match day experience is so much lower than soccer or rugby?

I'm not saying there needs to be premier league type facilities but I can't think of anyone outside of Ireland who would be blown away with the match day experience of a ground outside of Croke Park. Uncovered terraces, poor toilets, no bar, with poor choices for food don't add to the experience. It's almost like we're meant to enjoy the misery and not enjoy ourselves.

The GAA are even lazy in terms of the pageantry around the All-Ireland finals. For about 15 years we've had the exact same firework display with golden ribbons falling from the stand when the winning team lifts the cup.

Fewer smaller stadiums would be much better with comfort and facilities comparable to those you see for Scandinavian soccer teams. That would lead to games being far more likely to sell out. Championship structure in football needs to change too.

l replied to a comment about the 2018 quarter final between Clare and Wexford not a league game. If you go back to look you will see that’s the case. The attendance in 2018 was shocking for a quarter final, far less than Limerick and Kilkenny the same year which was the comment you replied to.

This was my first comment on the matter, nowhere in this comment does it mention the league game? Maybe read the comments properly before responding.

• Advertisement

Your subtle little shift there from "the original comment about the 2018 Al Ireland quarter final" to "my first comment" is telling. The discussion about Clare-Wexford was already in train before you got involved.

I commented about the all Ireland quarter final being a poor attendance and you responded talking about the attendance of a league game. I never once mentioned the league game.

This is just weird now. You are just getting more confused (and are refusing to read back to the origin of the discussion). Let's leave it.

You seem to be getting confused but I Agree, sick of debating over pedantics.

Advertisement