Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You should get your own mesh for about 100 quid, better 5Ghz wifi and no longer needing to be concerned about which modem you get as all it does is route. (I know mesh stations can route but I've found you get faster speeds if the supplied modem does the routing/dhcp)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gillamandango

Vodafone for years, Broadband and TV (for my sins), legacy multiform, €90 a month. I don't need TV anymore so to downgrade they would put me into a new 12 month contract at €40 a month. Can cancel anytime as out of contract so do not require 30 days notice. PURE seems my best option, like others. Cannot get FTTH so limited options.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Pacman2D

Currently on the “Gigabit 1000 Fibre” broadband from Vodafone. When I first signed up it was €40 per month, now it’s €70. It’s broadband only im paying for. 

Is there any better deals out there for a fully unlimited package that’s offers up to 1GB or more? I would be hoping to pay less than €70 a month and would be a set price without an increase after initial sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am in the same situation and considering moving to 4/5g broadband with a tp link modem and Sim only plan like 48/go mo. I don't need 1gbs download.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Currently with Vodafone fibre 500mb @ 40€ a month.

Im with them for years and never really had any issue.

Went on live chat got and got new contract 30/6-months+40/6months.

Agent sent me T&C on live chat and new contract to my email. All took like 5min without calling anyone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mcdonut

Re. Virgin Media (500mb for €70 per month)

I gave notice to quit last week. I'd spoken to a couple of agents and the best offer they could give me was 9 months half price,3 months full price. Today received an SMS offering a loyalty deal of 12 months half price. Happy enough with service so signed up via the SMS link for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ultra fast max from sky seems good for my next switch, eir are charging €45 for that and it’s a 2 year contract

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

I am going back to tp-link plus sim myself had it running with gomo 4g for 2 yrs done everything i needed but in the end i needed a second sim as usage started to rise and with their 120gb limit, this time i will try VM 4g as im in a good VM area. See how she goes. Eir 5g mobile broadband worked great too for 12 months but rising to e45 so I guess im bored and moving on again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Did they say anything about the prices increasing by CPI+3% from 2 April? I think it's in their T&C's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Yes I have it on my contract but agent said it will be flat fee of 30/6+40/6.Will see on next month bill.I have transcript of chat just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

when I recontract the agent in chat didn't mention it. it is on the website, but If I do get a price increase I have chat message from them stating total price for 6 months 30 and total price for 6 months 40. Last year I did get the price increase and once I questioned it that we had agreed to price of 30Euro for 12months they removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

I made the switch from Vodafone to Pure Telecom.

Vodafone wouldn't let me have the deal where you get it for 30 euro for 6 months and 40 for the other 6. The best they would do was 40 a month or 35 euro for 6 and 45 for 6 which was the same and would end up costing me 40 a month so I decided screw that I'm jumping ship. They had upped my monthly charge to 50 euros a month out of contract also and while on contract they had changed my monthly charge from what was supposed to be 40 to 45 so I was glad to get away from Vodafone and their greed. I didn't trust Vodafone anymore after that anyway.

So I made the switch on Bonkers last wednesday week, Pure rang me on the Thursday to arrange everything and the Fritzbox 7530 made it to me on the Saturday via the courier. The switchover happened this Thursday and Pure informed via text that it was happening on the previous Saturday. So Vodafone disconnected me about 10:30 am on thursday and I was back up and running with Pure in about half an hour. I had to connect my Wifi extender so that probably took me about another half an hour because I didn't reset it properly first time around.

Anyway my download speed was 48 meg with Vodafone and it's now 72 meg with Pure and can go up to 76 meg at times too. Upload speed is about 16 megs.

It's better than Vodafone obviously. I'm not much into online shooters so I tried out Rocket League as it's free to play and not too big(all the shooters are around 100 gigs) and I didn't notice any lag or latency issues at all, felt perfect. Anyway I'm very happy, for me Pure are better than Vodafone and so far all is very good. I'm now glad Vodafone didn't do any deals with me because I'm getting a better speed now from Pure. I am on fibre to the cabinet.

Very happy with Pure so far, very good and given my experience I would recommend Pure. 30 euro a month with Pure is the deal I got for 12 months on Bonkers.

Post edited by jimjangles on

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Keep an eye out on done deal or adverts, you can pick up another fritzbox and use that to make a mesh network, and drop the extender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Changed over to Sky from Virgin on Friday 500mb, €30 a month for a year instead of Virgin's €51 original quote then lowered to €35 a month.

5 minutes to set up, Sky 78.5 mbps download/57.8 upload against Virgin's 72.9/42.8.

20 minutes after setting up the Sky Router, I got a text from Virgin offering me "half price Broadband for 12 months".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Moved to Sky from Virgin. First time ever, since the UPC days. €35 for 500Mbps.

Getting 495Mbps down, and 50Mbps+ Up. Good ping and the like. No throttling.

Aside from the lack of phone line, it's a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Do Pure look for the Fritzbox 7530 back at the end of the 12 months or can I sell it?

I've mine connected directly to my Asus router so have no need for it.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nope, yours to keep

just saw on the preview of the Independent for monday

front page headline says

plans to ban automatic price rises by broadband providers

guessing it will lead to something like this

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/ofcom-graham-citizens-advice-briton-which-b1126341.html

updated link to today paper is now published

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/plans-to-ban-automatic-price-rises-linked-to-inflation-by-broadband-providers/a1978976687.html

Post edited by jos22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Might be of interest.

Broadband | One Big Switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭wassie

Out of contract with VF there last week. Was on €30/m 500Mbs plan and Im on National Broadband Ireland NBI network.

Offered me the current advertised offer €30/m for 6 month then €40/m for last 6 with usual BS spin of 'only because Im a loyal customer'. Asked to stop yanking my chain as its available to everyone via the VF website website. They actually wanted to argue with me that it was exclusive to me...anyhow time to do the rounds.

Contacted Pure - €45/m for NBI customers (Note - OBS offer above also not available to National Broadband Ireland customers). Too expensive.

Tried to switch to Sky €30/m 500Mbs 12 months via online but order wouldnt process. Contacted Sky customer support (Very hard to find a contact number - ended up head office number 0818719819) only to be told there is a technical issue switching to Sky on NBI at the moment. Was told it had been this way for a few weeks and issue was on Sky's side.

Eir €45/m 500Mbs for 12 months - no thanks. All the smaller ISPs were similar pricing or worse (eg 18 month contracts - WTF??)

So ended up going back to VF to haggle with them

After much back and forth with agents having to 'speak' with supervisors several times, I only managed to squeeze an extra €20 discount in a messy deal.

So its the original offer of €30/m for 6 month then €40/month for last 6 months with an additional €5/m discount for the first four months. Total cost = €400, so a 10% increase from previous 12 months. Also clarified twice that CPI+ increase would not apply to this contract which they acknowledged.

When I received the contact docs be email it had correct discounts, but noted CPI+ increase applied. Lodged a complaint via their website and got them to acknowledge via an email response that it would not apply until April 2025, which is fine as contract will be up for renegotiation in Feb 2025. Lodging via their complaint form was much faster than going back and forth with agents on the phone.

So for anyone on NBI - not a lot of good offers out there at the moment. But cant complain as 2 years ago I was stuck on patchy mobile wireless.

3rd year with VF and the prices in email contract never match up with what they stated on the phone/discussed in chat. the time I questioned them on it, they said Don't worry, you will have the discount, sometime, the extra discount might not be reflected on the contract.

you will most likely have to get back on them again in April to have the CPI removed.

Yeah - normally takes a couple of bills to get everything right. I can see this being a complete sh!tshow for this contract.

As for CPI+ increase being charged - agree 100%. I expect the worse and that it will be applied, so wanted to make sure I had something from them in writing rather than having to repeat the story multiple times to customer support agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭in2dark

Sorry what is the offer for the broadband. Dont want to give them the email if it is an ordinary one. Im just asking in case you already know it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Just put in any made up email to get past that screen. It’s €30/month offer for 12 months.

Limited Time Offer

€30 per month1 for 12 months - One Big Switch Exclusive

New customers only

Other Information

500MB speed

Unlimited broadband

Free installation and modem

12 month contract

Not available to National Broadband Ireland customers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Can someone tell me how do you know if you are with Siro or NBI? All I know if that I'm with Sky ftth.

Put your Eircode in each of the website:

SIRO: https://siro.ie/

OpenEir (Majority of FTTH): https://www.oebroadbandchecker.com/

NBI: https://nbi.ie/map/

Note: OpenEir website will also advise if you can get NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Thanks for that, both SIRO and NBI say I can connect - didn't know that it could be both, though it was an either or thing?! Strangely OpenEir says I can get Fibre to the Cabinet (with speeds up to 100Mbps) even though I currently have Fibre to the home and speeds up to 500Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gundry

Try them for mobile phone inclusive .I got 500 mb and mobile for €30 for 6 months and €40 for the next 6 months.

The mobile is the Red plan so unlimited and great for travel. Sweet deal.

Advertisement