Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

You get nowhere being nice amaceen…

the Rosie’s must have been shocked at such treatment..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Watching the incident on YouTube and while Donie Smith was stupid to react it must be said Paul Conroy for a big fella made a very dramatic fall to the ground and I'd say he'll be somewhat embarrassed when he watches it back himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

#prayforpaul, hope he makes a full recovery.

It was a clear tactic by Galway, at least 3 times Conroy got involved in afters after conceding a free, and he wasn't the only one. We can call them on it, but it's up to the ref to calm these fouls. Unfortunately, Lane wasn't interested in stopping Galway's BS at all, like look at the comical antics of the goalkeeper in the first half.

We weren't good enough on the day, simple as that. Donie was silly, but we weren't good enough or sharp enough. Galway may be happy with PJ and his brave band of warriors and their antics, I don't really care. He's not got much longer in the job anyway. We have to get up to the levels of last year and higher, in terms of pace and sharpness, and fairly lively too or D2 here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Lads, football is nearly as bad as soccer now for diving, so what exactly do you expect when you make a punching/pushing motion towards someone's face right in front of the referee and linesman and since you're holding the ball, the whole crowd are watching you too.

The whole stadium knew he was getting a red card. There's no excuse. Even if it was an inexperienced young lad it would be unforgiveable, but considering how long on the scene Donie is now, you have to ask serious questions.

It reminds me of the idiotic 'show him whose boss' challenge Ultan Harney did on the Tyrone goalie when we had won a can't-miss free in the last play of the game a few years back. That challenge cost Roscommon survival in Division 1.

As for the ref, the only issue I had with him was the fact that he didn't pull the Galway goalie earlier for his very obvious delayig tactics in the first half. I didn't notice Galway being particularly physical.

I recall that incident, pure gamesmanship from Niall Morgan won't always work as it requires to play a poor ref.

• Advertisement

You're completely missing the point.

Roscommon had just won a 'can't-miss' free in front of the goals. If it had been put over Roscommon would have avoided relegation. So, knowing that, can you give me one, just one, good reason for running 20-30 yards and barging into Morgan right in front of the ref? Because I cannot think of one.

It was brain-dead!

It reminded me of Donal Vaughan doing the exact same thing to a Dublin player who was just about to get his second yellow and give Mayo 25+ minutes with an extra man in an All-Ireland final. But no, it's better to come charging in to show him who's boss. Don't use your brain for a second and think of the consequences. Mayo lost by a point.

Missed no point.

Morgan knew what he was doing, went in knees first seeking a reaction and played the poor ref to get tap over free to be over turned to a throw up ball. Vaughan was him and his lack of discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SYMETAL

Roscommon will be happy to go in level at the break.

Solid first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rossie4ever

What do ye make of this or is there anything in this at all?

So you're blaming the referee and Niall Morgan, but Ultan Harney was totally innocent?

I asked you to give me one good reason for his behaviour; you didn't reply.

• Advertisement

That performance v Dublin was very disappointing.

Despite not playing particularly well in the first half, only being a point down and with improvements expected to be made during the break, the second half was a big letdown.

Possession was given away far too cheaply, far too often. Especially short hand-passes being dropped or not hitting the target. That's very basic stuff for this level of football.

While Diarmuid Murtagh's finishing was top-notch, his defending is very poor. If I was an opposition manager I would encourage anyone in possession near him to take him on as there is a high possiblility you will get past. It happened a number of times yesterday. He also doesn't work remotely hard enough in looking for the ball. Fair play to both Daire Cregg and James Fitzpatrick. They were constantly showing for the ball. Constantly! Ben O'Carroll is the same. But all forwards should be the same. And young Higgins showed much the same appetite to run hard at the defense without the ball, taking defenders away from the Roscommon ball-carrier. There simply has to be more of that selfless running off the ball and support play if this team want to step up to the next level.

The kickout strategy from Roscommon was puzzling. I believe Dublin only had to go long once in the entire match. Conceding possessiong so easily is just not on. Early on, Carroll simply didn't seem confident in pinning his kickout to available players. He improved as the match went on, but I don't know why he was so hesitant earlier. Roscommon lost most of his long kickouts.

Anyway, it's must-win territory next weekend. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Yup our hope of league survival hinges on next week. Win and we've hope, but still likely go down. Lose and we're definitely gone.

Massive game next weekend. I hope we perform. Any idea on when Harney and other injured players are back?

A reason was in the last post. Takes two to tango, Morgan gamesmanship and very dramatic fall from Conroy last week.

There are probably several contributing factors, but we're well off where we were last spring. Performance levels seem very pedestrian for the most part, except for a few bursts of action albeit early and late in games when the result is not up for grabs. All 3 games followed similar patterns otlf pedestrian defending, passive, slow attacks, and struggling around the middle on kick outs and breaks.

Be interesting to see how we can right the ship. The whole backroom have to be under pressure at this stage, Davy along with the 2 main coaches. Was the influence of McGowan and McHugh that important last year? At this point, it would seem so.

Ya that's one take on it. Another is we definitely got a more settled run into the league in 2023 in that all key players bar ultan Harney, we're available. This year between injuries, suspensions and Brigid's making the all Ireland final the backroom haven't had consistent focus in preparation and it shows in the results.

Pity the Tyrone game was first. Between Brigid's players missing and enda Smith being suspended - a full strength Roscommon would've won

Yes good point above. We are missing alot of players at the minute. We are having no luck with the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A weakened Roscommon should have won.

It was a pathetic display in the second half right when the game was there for the taking and it set the tone for subsequent games.

Losing to that 14 man Tyrone team sunk our league campaign imo. And I'm aware that sounds and indeed is a bit hyperbolic and also premature but unfortunately I genuinely think its the case.

I don't think we every had the depth to go into the weaker team league game with a second string and expect to win.

I think we can excuse the current squad for quality, but organization, aggression , speed, and application should be there, especially when fringe players are present. The whole thing seems to have dropped a level, might come right buy it might not either.

How many starters are we missing then?

• Advertisement

The mind boggles at your 'reasoning'.

Let's look at the incident without naming the teams, maybe that will help.

Team A win a can't-miss free with time up. The free will be allowed to be taken and the game will finish. The scores are level. A player from the team about to lose the game goes down on his knees into the grounded player, hoping some idiot from the team about to win will decide that winning doesn't matter and completely over-react and hopefully the free will be changed to a hop-ball. And that's exactly what happened. It worked because a player from the team about to win a crucial game didn't have the discipline required, just like Donal Vaughan.

How anybody can defend Harney's actions that day is beyond words. I have yet to hear ANY Roscommon fan other than you defend him.

Neutral view point I'm giving and as I said already I recalled that incident as it was pure gamesmanship. It was well discussed at the time such as this link. Short clip and don't let it boggle your mind.

As for comparing it with the Vaughan incident that was a high/striking action than a push and what he did arguably cost Mayo All Ireland title while Roscommon had what 4 league games to play after that dropped point against Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Donie Vaughan is still in hiding somewhere in Mayo. It was a rush of blood that he will always regret.

Ultan Harney had a similar rush of blood. Lesser consequences maybe. But hard to fathom what goes through players minds when they do these things. I'm not condoning players dropping like a sack of spuds at small amounts of contact. But they should not be given that opportunity to do so in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Haven't we been 6-8 starters short; C Murtagh, enda Smith (suspended for Tyrone), Donie (suspended for Dublin), N Daly, 4 Brigids players not available for prep and Tyrone. Then the two players from last year gone travelling (McKeon and can't recall other off top of head.)

Speed and application is directly related to player quality IMHO. Not sure is it justified to debate our organisation - I couldn't fault it.

We can't count Ciaran, hasn't he opted out for the year, and while I haven't heard it confirmed there was a lot of talk of Eddie stepping away too, at least in the short term.

Who from Bridget's is proven that's to come in? Ben?

You keep going on about Morgan. I'm talking about Ultan Harney!

His stupid, ill-disciplined reaction to gamesmanship cost Roscommon a win. One more point would have prevented relegation.

You appear to be saying he was right. Are you?

Final post on this topic as others reading this thread must be bored with us going on about something that happened five years ago.

My point was recalling the incident and the role Morgan played in it. And I have seen similar incidents since in other matches that stronger refs didn't over turn a free for a push and dive.

• Advertisement

I think he was right.

Secondly it wasn't gamesmanship it was thuggery to drop two knees down on any player on the ground.

Time for you to get over it now how long ago is it. Anyone who played the game with any balls and bottle would defend a teammate getting knees to the head. The referee for not moving ball forward and sending Morgan off, and Morgan hold most blame. Weak pathetic refereeing.

Post edited by White lighting on

Advertisement