Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

According to a councillor, there is a legal dispute with the owners of the properties over the section of the footpath blocked off by their barriers and flower pots. I'd have thought a CPO would sort that out.

It's disgraceful that pedestrians have to walk out onto a dangerous bend in the road to pass these obstacles. I don't understand the property owner's grievance. The section of footpath is outside their boundary wall and gate even if they technically "own" it. It always annoys me every time I walk pass.

A pedestrian crossing had to be put in place to help make it safer. While the cut trees will improve sight lines, I still think having a pedestrian crossing at a bend is rather risky. Also, I think a lot of pedestrians will just stay on the disputed section of footpath rather than criss crossing the road multiple times to get to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There would be no need for a CPO. It should be sufficient to clear that footpath of any blockage, based on the demonstrable right-of-way established over the route over many years.

The solution to this has been the application of a sledgehammer to crack a nut and we end up with a signal crossing on a bad bend.

Moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's absolutely incredible as to what these "engineers" have done to the trees, never mind the complete dogs dinner they made of that bend. Trying to fix a problem by creating another.

A total waste of mine and your money on something so poorly executed.

Councillors out of touch and fingal a law to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Having walked by the mentioned bend this morning, I am a bit baffled to be honest and for the first time going by as a pedestrian in a while, I realised how moronic the whole situation is. I had to step out on the main road on the bend to avoid the purposely erected barrier blocking pedestrians, because on the opposite side of the road the path is closed due to what looks like removal of trees and relaying a new path which does not look like it has changed from what was there before (Besides being a bit wider maybe?)

How have they not been removed the junk/barriers from outside the properties at this stage? What will the likely end outcome be? The whole path/cycleway from Ongar road roundabout to that corner is a disaster, absolutely no continuation of the cycle/pedestrian path.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Correct, whole stretch is a dangerous mess.

And as an access route to busy commuter rail, to which the Council is obliged to improve walking and cycling safety, its a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

It will surely end when someone harms themselves on the land and the owners will be liable. You cannot just leave dangers on land where it is reasonable to expect the public to stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Interesting piece on the Old Schoolhouse site which had planning for 198 build to rent apartments rejected some time back.

Sounds like a nice plan to have the Schoolhouse itself rezoned as community infrastructure with the rest rezoned as open space rather than as residential as is it currently. Article also highlights the inefficiency of the council and it's handling of literally everything and nothing progressing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would oppose any rezoning as open space, yes to the Schoolhouse itself as community infrastructure, but we need more housing for our children in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's only one schoolhouse. Whereas theres lots of other undeveloped sites.

That said I know nothing of the schoolhouse full historical significance other than it's a school house. Was in the building in my youth, don't remember much about it. Just another ruin in a field. Though teachers used to mention it now and then.

Maybe nice to incorporate it into a bigger plan.

I get your point, and places like Coolmine Industrial Estate should be rezoned for housing, but everytime a solution to providing more housing is proposed, somebody objects, yet everyone still complains about the lack of housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Are you familiar with the piece of land the schoolhouse stands on, and it's proximity to the canal and existing housing ?

Yes, and do you propose building instead somewhere else like in Westmeath, or in the protected Liffey Valley? We need housing.

We need more housing but not here is a familiar refrain.

Before Coolmine industrial estate was build that site had foundations for housing in it. No idea why it was abandoned at the time. Used to walk through it as kids.

Doing well to select one of the few historic buildings in the area to replace with high rise flats.

Especially as Kellystown is a stone's throw away. Neither site has transport infrastructure to support it.

If you Google maps the satellite there's a lot of land along the railway into Meath. A couple of stops on a train line is a no brainer.

But if the only mindset is driving everywhere and cramming housing in everywhere without any plan.

Wasn't replacing the historic building, just filling up the rest of the derelict site with housing.

Still the same issues with infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Thankfully those who make the decisions don't have a ' just stick it anywhere ' mindset.

Leaflet in the door this evening from one of the local councilors advising that works are due to begin on the site beside Lidl this summer, to be called Church Gate. Comprising of 45 no3 bed houses, 22 no4 bed houses and 36 apartments (12 one bed & 24 two bed units) in 2 blocks of 3 stories. From the map it looks like there's very little open green space (3 small areas designed public open space)

Granted housing is needed but so are facilities so will be plenty more congestion as the new dwellers have to go elsewhere to spend their recreational time.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

• Advertisement

Since you started this thread, the traffic in D15 has got so much worse. Getting into and out of D15 at peak times just torture, especially the M3/M50.

Every decision seems to make it worse.

Sorry, that would have been a useful addition since there's an overabundance of Lidl (and where there's a Lidl there has to be an Aldi and vice versa) in the country. It's the Lidl near the Clonsilla train station (quite a dirty store with rubbish and litter usually around the ground floor lobby and parking lot) so traffic will be via the Clonsilla link road of which one side is already used as a parking lot mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Yeah I don't drive that much, traffic is just nuts, the ongar road is one giant traffic jam at rush hours, and now the train is getting busier, more carriages and services are needed but I'm sick to the back teeth in emailing everyone about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Polar101

I made the mistake of taking the bus from UCD to Ongar last week, it took 2 hours and 3 minutes. Yeah, it was rush hour, but still..

You could cycle that in half that time. eBike even quicker. Or a folding bike or eScooter get you to train or Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Not everyone can drive a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

in fairness, that’s a very long and very, very circuitous route. Even with zero traffic I doubt you could do it in less than 90 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Advertisement