Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump Running Costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

It is the exact opposite of that with my system, you screw down those caps to decrease flow. Removal of the actuator opens the valve fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Yes we know that. The point was yesterday he had all actuators off and no flow.

How long is it on, can take hours to go up a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

was on over night but its a bit odd, the stat said 20.5 say but my own temp monitor was saying 22, i just looked at it now on home assistant(stat has been at 21 since i left this morning)

maybe the stat is just in a bad spot!

lot of glass in that room too so may be solar gain today

• Advertisement

Yeah see later, solar gain will def add couple degrees. Sounds alright to me if 22.5 since 5am, wouldn't have been solar gain at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@Cyrus your flow meters and the liquid in them looks very brown and rusty.... here is a picture of one my my flow meters, my system is realivley new at just over 2.5 years but somethings not right Id say with those pictures

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

No…. 😕 the UFH loop/system is self-contained and contain an anti corrosion liquid you can see the colour of mine is a blueish as you can see. When I get my heat pump serviced my dude actually checks the % of this stuff in the system. I also have iron & manganese and I have hard water from my borehole. I have a treatment system to try and sort this and I have this brown dirt in the filter as well. But once the UFH loop is filled then apart from maybe a quick boost to build back up the pressure (one or twice in the first year, hardly any time the second year)

No.1 job I think is to get this flushed and fill it back up with the good stuff.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I've got the supply line down to 26 degrees with the temperature outside at 11 or so degrees. Having said that the house is still consuming 18 to 30 kWh each day over the past week. Without a Shelly EM I can only assume it's the heat pump. Is there anything wrong with the settings in the photos below? It's Thermia ITEC Eco 8kW heat pump. I'm running 1 open loop setup with the UFH.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

You should have a look through these forums, loads of specific queries related to thermia heat pumps. My heat pumps is also swedish and couldn't find much on it anywhere else.

https://www.varmepumpsforum.com/vpforum/index.php?board=34.0

The blue stuff is glycol I think so does the heatpump and rad heating water never mix? So could have the ufh flushed on its own (and not bother with the rads that dont need it) I had assumed the rust was coming from the towel rails as the rads are aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnmphelan

Have people recommendations on brand for heat pump systems? We've had Dimplex for 9 years and it's now dead, the heat pump that is! Hoping to replace whole thing now on principle that it should have lasted at least 12 to 15 years! Serviced every year too! 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

We had a NIBE, installed 20 years ago, very reliable and probably spent about 2k on maintenance over the last 10 years, just replaced with another one, not because it died but part of a major upgrade generally and advice from installer that it would start costing more to service and a newer one a good bit more efficient (partly due to getting a hot water tank half the size)

we had a lower cost option of refurbing the existing one but grant considerations made it more compelling to go for new one

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Is it only the outdoor unit that needs replaced? The indoor cylinder and heat exchanger, is that good for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Mind me asking what it costs to install a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Thats pretty poor, have had a Mitsubishi Ecodan for 7 years. all going well touch wood. Hasn't been service in over 2 years so need to get on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Eleusis

Who services your ecodan? Only one I can see after quick search is in Cork.

Mine is 1.5 years old now. Presume I should get it serviced

i would get on that asap if i was you, as the warranty is void if the ecodan isn't serviced annually.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

The heat pump at the moment is barely ticking over. The house consumed 15.5kWh and 16.5kWh on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

The task of insulating the attic is complete. This time last month when there was no insulation over our heads there were days the house drew 60kWh from the grid. The HP was going red in the face lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Need to get a CT on the heatpump. Would you have mhvr?

Bought a Shelly and a few smart plugs the other day. One of the plugs is for the MVHR with the shelly lined up for the HP.

Wired up the shelly this evening. Having all kinds of trouble trying to get it connected to the home network. It just won't do it.

Aside from that the good news is that I can see the data when I connect the WiFi directly to the shelly. From 6pm to midnight the heat pump used 2.5kWh. A very rough pro rata over 24 hours = 10kWh. The house in total when using the same rough pro rata is calculated to use 15.6kWh.

Looking at ESBN data, each day in the month of February has hovered between 14 and 30kWh with the mean being 20 or €6 per day.

Heading away tomorrow for a week. I've left the heating as is and just turned off hot water. It's driving me mad I won't know what's been happening with the heat pump on a daily basis until I return.

P.S. curiosily there's a flow of power away from the heat pump when there's no call for heat. A fairly constant 6 watts. I thought at first I attached the CT incorrectly but it quickly reversed itself when the heat pump kicked in.

The insulation made massive difference to you, same as i noticed in my sitting room a year ago, now its probably my warmest room after adjusting flow rates a little the other day as bedroom's at 21/22 same as living areas so reduced flow to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Shelly EM. 120A CT connected to incoming mains in the distribution board and similarly a 50A CT connected to the Heat Pump MCB.

The house feels much more comfortable. Having said that February has been very mild and it's hard to know what the heat pump will be like when the next cold spell arrives. Fingers crossed I don't see 60kWh days ever again!

we're away for a week having left last Friday. before we went i switched off the option to heat hot water as we wouldn't be needing it but left the heating alone. prior to leaving the heat pump was using circa 10kWh in a 24 hour cycle. unfortunately i couldn't connect shelly to my home network before leaving so i'm blind to the heat pumps usage since however from looking at the data from ESB's HDF file i can see overall consumption for the house per day since we left is roughly 4 to 5kWh per 24 hour period or 0.21kWh per hour which is really low and i'm delighted with.

however, i'm struggling to make sense of the low usage if the heat pump is still coming on for heating. is heating the water in the tank when we're there really contributing to the bulk of the heat pumps power consumption? last week before we left the heat pump would come on for 25 minutes and then go off for 30 minutes and repeat this cycle throughout the day. what i don't know is how many times its coming on to heat the tank and how many times its coming on for heating in general.

the tank is 180 litres and i wouldn't consider our usage of water to be extreme (2 adults + toddler). what are other heat pump users seeing in kWh to heat hot water daily?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's been a lot warmer too this week.

Possibly your solar is also covering any heatpump use

• Advertisement

that could be the case for sunday but on saturday solar only produced 1.7kWh and yet the HDF file shows total consumption at 6.5kWh which suggests the Heat Pump is not pulling all that much from the grid. do you know how many kWh are used to heat your hot water?

Advertisement