Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pump Running Costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I have a 200l tank and use about 2kWh per day on hot water not including heat. (heatpump)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

My HP used 9kWh yesterday and 7 the day before that for both heating and HW, thats a reflection of the mild weather im sure. It was 21 earlier in the month in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yep mine is trending down to now around 11kWh/day (7 day moving average)

220m2 A1 house (A2 without the PV)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Heat pump didn't need to come on at all sunday and used 6kwh for dhw/heating Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What temperature do you set your thermostats at in your house? Ours are at between 22 and 23. I'm always too warm, and heat pump on amd off all day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah if only it was that simple ha. Herself likes it toasty. She'd have it higher if she could, I'd have it lower.

21 degrees downstairs and 20 upstairs (19 in our bedroom actually )

Ah that complicates things.

I living room is at 21, hall is about 19-20 (runs the length of house, bungalow), kitchen 20/21

Rest of rooms are about 18c

22 we have all our living areas and recently altered flow rates to bed rooms to lower them to 19/20. Again herself likes it 22 and i have to admit watching tv in 22 in shorts and t shirt pretty comfy. My friend has his at 24, the warmer you have it the more your body will get used to and want that heat. Anything below 21 sitting idle like watching tv i consider bit chilly.

• Advertisement

24c😯 !!! jaysus I woudl love to see his electricty bill... as mentioned above my house is a fairy well built house triple glazing all windows, 200mm cavity insulation, MHRV, etc etc airtightness of less than 2 and I know if I have any stat set at 24 degs my heating would be on all day long...I even notice a difference setting at 21 degs it woudl be on a lot more. The most I have any room is 20.5 deg and the bedrooms at 19.

22 degs I think is too high, sneak it down to 21.5 and after a week or two down to 21, early on what I got a lot from my missus was she was saying she didnt believe the what the room stat was telling her (it wasnt calibrated!!)...so I got a few zigbee temp sensors and now I can say look the room stat is saying its 21degs and the temp sensor is saying its 21 degs arguement over

(just noticed my living room sensor is gone off line)

How do you calibrate the stats? I'm convinced my sitting room one is giving wrong reads.

Im sure there is a way to calibrate but I dont know or do it, I have the independant zigbee temp sensors and they are usaully within 0.5 deg of the room stat so that keeps me happy. My Heat pump service dude every year checks the settings of every stat as well so that another thing.

If you get another sort of temperature monitor, I used aqara ZigBee ones as I already had the hub for the blind motors.

I got the tvoc one as it has a E ink screen, I could compare the tado reading Vs the aqara one.

I also had a third IKEA one I was playing with and that agreed with the aqara one.

24 is mental and i keep telling him.His house is 600sq ft smaller then mine but his bills are bit higher. Yeah 21 would probably be fine and lower my bills alright but im running for set period and fixed flow so im happy enough with it at the moment. Its 22 in living areas from say 5pm onwards earlier if sunny outside.

mine are joule stats and i noticed my aqara sensors were giving much higher temps so i went into the service menu and changed, they were set to read 4 degrees under!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

hot water is ticking over with pretty high consumption during the summer averaging above 5kwh?

I have 4 adults in the house and my two kids (20 and 18!) LOVE to have long showers..., they could be in there 20-25 mins no problem and sometimes twice a day. I decided early on that I would not be the arsehole dad telling them to get out of the shower you are long enough in there. Spent enough years using **** electric power showers that trickled down you back going from freezing to scalding so I let them at it. I have a 300 litre tank so they have yet to run that dry and my HP heats the hot water on demand. Again I could schedule this to only come on at night rate but I have PV and I do encourge them and myself if there is excess to have the shower then. Its luxury that I think is worth it.

ya similar situation to mine, the hot water does its own thing. have yet to run out. 5 in the house, long showers baths. etc etc. but averaging 2-3kwh

Not a huge difference but just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

220 litre tank here, heating to 45 degrees and we run out of hot water a lot 2 adults, 2 kids. A2W takes 30-45 mins at least to top it back up to 45 degrees. Is this not normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

that seems very normal, bump up the temp to 48 if your running out of water.

We had ours at 48 but we just got PV in so Im treating us and leaving it at 50c now.😁

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Got a power bill for 850 (2 months) yesterday. No credits on it as used 2 last bill. I've recently got connected to a Zappi on my house. This is my graph for this month. Does it look normal?

We've 2 EVs, but most of the electricity usage is our heat pump I think. Wondering have we the temperatures too high in house (we do in my opinion, the OH would say not enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Are you asking if your energy usage is normal? Depends!

Is that 850 actual kWh in 2 months or estimated?

What system generated that pic? Myenergy (if you have a zappi) dashboard in a browser can show the house V the EVs. Check that so you can remove the EVs. EVs will show as a constant kW draw - so a straight line on the daily graph. Outer devices will go up and down as they change the power they draw. I'd guess heating water is a straight line. But often there are multiple devices on at a time so hard to see what is pulling power.

Then it's on to seeing what is house V heatpump.

Are you on a smart meter, you can pull up your history on esbn website.

Or are you also on DN?

What is the actual useage for the 2 months or was there an estimated reading in there.

On a smart meter. Didn't know you could pull data from ESBN. I'm not on smart unit rates. I have a 24hr rate of 37.36 less 39% discount.

Yeah I guess I'm asking do others with a heatpump have similar looking graphs.

don't think thats normal, mine is set to 52'. In the 7 years ive been in the house we've never run out. 2 adults 3 kids

Must check what size tank. When it drops below 42 it heats again.

Because of the lower threshold its hard to imagine how you would run out unless you use the 220 litres in very quick succession

very hard to see what's what with that graph,

Have an EV and a heat pump, I will caveat that with I get about 70% of my charting at work. Would still be the bones of 50kwh per week at home

Im able to run reports on my heat pump app so can completely separate from everything else. eg I used 340kwh in Dec and 500 in Jan towards HP.

I think E850 is very high but not off the scale for the coldest 2 months. also depends on your driving.

I run both HP and car charging at night at 14c rate. day rate is 33c

Just got solar in 1 month ago so should put a dent in. My last 2 month bill was about 550 minus a 50 solar FIT credit & minus 150 government credit. so E350 to me

should be relatively easy to deduct the ev usage from your overall, like the poster above we charge our car at a 14c night rate and also heat the hot water and run the temps higher on the heatpump so as to increase night usage and lower over the day.

over the last week for example our HP use 63 kWh but a lot of that would have been on the reduced rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

It's absolutely Baltic out there and blowing a gale to boot. The heat pump is on course to consume 21kWh today. Fortunately the solar produced 13kWh to offset it somewhat before the crap weather rolled in.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement