Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What about the potential reduction in dysfunction for the areas that are being changed? What about the people who are being forced to live further aware from the critical social needs you mention due to HAP pricing them out of their desired areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My parents both from a Dublin suburb (was countryside even when i was young) had 8 and 7 siblings.

Every one of them left Ireland before or just after the end of secondary school.

All of them (bar one who died), some with spouses and children in tow came back to live in Ireland between 1994 and 2000. Only 2 of them could afford to buy near their parents. The rest scattered and most bought houses further out.

The 90s wasnt just a time when it was possible to get a job in Ireland after school, but it was a time when a couple of generations that emigrated before also came home to jobs here and all looking for homes. It was also a time when it became normal to expect both of a couple to have a job in order to contribute to the mortgage. So much demand arrived in the country at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is only the current generation that have demanded to be able to live beside their parents in houses as big as their parents. It is a very recent phenonemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Francis McM

And the current generation expect to be able to go on stag / hen trips abroad, buy takeaway coffees, have designer furniture and clothes etc, more bank holidays and shorter working weeks, shorter working lives ( in my parents and grandparents time many if not most started working by their mid teens) etc at the same time.

Which ones had country/citywide rent controls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, the issue with uprooting people would more than likely induce even more dysfunction into society as a whole, yes you may improve an area, but you simply move the dysfunctions elsewhere, and possibly/probably magnify those dysfunctions, creating an even bigger problem elsewhere, which in turn just ultimately drains the greater social systems/institutions such as our legal system, welfare system, health system, educational system etc etc, i.e. it actually ends up just creating an even bigger problem on the grander scale.....

helping to maintain some sort of social cohesion is critical in reducing and limiting these social dysfunctions, forcing a large proportion of people out of areas, induces brake down in these critical social networks, increasing the likelihood of issues such as mental health issue, addiction issues, crime, you end up effectively opening Pandora's box, in which is next to impossible to truly resolve, i.e. theres critical points of social dysfunction of when induced, such as those mentioned, i.e. mental health issues, addiction, crime etc, it becomes next to impossible to eradicate them once induced, i.e. you end up in long term, even generational dysfunction, so the key is to try prevent it from happening in the first place, long term unemployment is commonly also induced under such conditions, in which of course, all taxpayers ultimately pay the price, i.e. we shot ourselves in the foot by inducing such outcomes, i.e. prevention is better than the cure(which in many circumstances, simply never happens, even generationally)....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

It is unrealistic for anyone to be able to afford a house (as opposed to an apartment) in a capital city for 300k. You cannot even build one for that out in the sticks in Ireland, never mind in Dublin, London, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, or any capital city in any developed country in the world. Maybe in Somalia or some place, not sure about there.

there are new builds in wexford and kilkenny selling for 250-300k so yeah maybe fact check before you post some more of your drivel!

going on about takeaway coffees and bank holidays in 2024. really shows where some people are.

So there are, a few small houses for sale in Wexford for less than 300k.

If you can build them in Dublin I'll buy one off you ;)

According to the body of professional quantity surveyors ( and they should know) , the average cost of delivering a new 3-bed semi in Ireland ranges from €354K in the Northwest to €461K in the Greater Dublin Area.

https://scsi.ie/real-cost-of-new-housing/

• Advertisement

You said you cannot build for under 300k out in the sticks.

I stand corrected. It appears you could build a very small house out in the stocks for less than 300k. There are extremely few new houses for sale for less than 300k in the country, and none in Dublin.

If you can build a house in Dublin for 300k I'll buy one off you ;)

It is not just a Dublin problem, in fairness : have you seen the cost of houses in other Capital cities in the world?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭hometruths

The only one I'm aware of on that list is Paris. Why do you ask?

Off course the SCSI should know what it costs to build a house. That's why they publish these reports, to inform those of us who don't know what the "real cost" of building a house.

And of course these figures are not just used by people arguing on boards, they're also used by politicians and policy makers to justify all the government supports because there is an "affordability gap". Obviously also the media pick up on the affordability gap and cite these figures left, right and centre.

I do often wonder how many of the people who cite them actually read the figures rather than the conclusions.

Eg here are the hard costs for the Greater Dublin Area:

Pay close attention to Finishes, Fittings & Services - finishes are paints etc, fittings are kitchen units, wardrobes etc, services are sanitary ware, gutters etc.

So compare the above figures for Dublin against Galway below:

So services in Galway for the same house cost about 70% higher than Dublin? And finishes are are about 45% higher?

And here are the figures for the region of the country with the cheapest houses:

Wardrobes etc are almost double the cost in Leitrim as they are in Dublin? And paints etc are 40% higher?

If that's true it's no wonder nobody is building houses in Leitrim.

Anything more than a cursory glance at these figures raises a few red flags that ought to question if they truly are the "real" cost of delivering a house, or if they are in fact figures produced for lobbying purposes.

Rent controls are more responsible than anything else in Ireland for sky rocketing rents and in turn purchase prices.

We have the most devastating to the housing market rent controls in the world.

...our housing price issues are clearly directly related to the significant increase in the activities and involvement of certain market entities such as the fire sectors into our property markets, i.e. the exact same issues many other advanced economies are currently experiencing, this has been very evident over the last couple of decades, which has directly caused a multiple fold increase in overall prices, in many cases as much as 3/4 times as much, before the involvement of such entities....

You'll get no argument on that from me. The point of the article is the combo of rent controls and HAP is massively distorting the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So you ignore the costs that are substantially cheaper and only focus on the ones more expensive?

I wonder why Leitrim is more expensive for furnishings and finishes?

All my Leitrim based friends pop down the to Leitrim IKEA or B&Q all the time.

Its almost like prices are based on markets and competitions? Now where have we heard that before

Goodness me. It's no wonder the SCSI get away with massaging the figures to suit their interests if people believe developers budget for wardrobes twice the price in Leitrim compared to Dublin because there is no handy IKEA in Leitrim. It beggars belief really.

Thankfully I doubt anybody else believes that except for you.

• Advertisement

I think the first sentence explains everything.

You posted this somewhere, and obviously didn't get the acclaim you believed your masterful idea deserved and posted it here as well. Why did you think it would be acclaimed here?

Nah, not some rebuttal, just my usual cynical sarcastic type response to thinly disguised racism.

It is a thinly disguised racist post, that says nothing about you, no personal accusations, just about the post. You may just have been fooled by discredited right-wing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

Anyone that writes "any government funded agency (ngo, if you like)" in their post should have their opinion dismissed immediately, on the basis that they don't have a clue.

Advertisement