Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Your daughter's missing, you're desperate to find her, cadaver dogs find something in your apartment, it's hard to take but it could lead to answers as to your daughter's whereabouts. The natural reaction would be to jump on this, despite suspicion, you'd be all over it trying to see where the dogs findings could lead.

Instead, the McCann's lawyered up, tried to discredit the dogs findings and fled the country. That is highly suspicious behaviour. Whether you want to admit it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,839 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You concoct this synthetic drama and invent this nonsense sence of urgency that simply didn't exist.

The parents were desperate to find her and you should read the nannies account of her and Kates desperate search on the night Madeline went missing. Imagine a mother having to look in bins. She might be a doctor but that must have hurt beyond imagining.

Here's the bit you clearly don't get:

Madeline dissapeared on 3rd of May 2007.

Eddie and keela searched the apartment on 3rd August.

By that time there was no sense of urgency; all the urgency was expended 3 months earlier and any notion that anyone official, especially the awful police, was actually looking for Madeline, was long gone! The Police were in full pin it on the parents mode by that time. The McCanns would have been fully aware of what the police were doing and lawyering up was an absolute necessity and not the least bit suspicious.

Lots of Portuguese SAR and sniffer dogs were brought in and made extensive searches when it actually made sense to use them, which is right after Madeline went missing and scent and trails would be fresh. There is even an account of one of those dogs finding a scent trail and following it to another apartment, but that didn't pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭briany

The McCanns had been cooperating with the PJ up until the point that they went to the McCanns after the sniffer dog alerts and said that if they confessed then, they'd receive a more lenient sentence. That wasn't suspicion on the part of the PJ, that was a conclusion. Therefore, in order to move things on, it was critically important for the McCanns to demonstrate why the PJ's case against them was a load of crap, which they did quite ably after hiring some proper legal counsel. I say to you that when you're being fingered for a crime which you did not commit, it is the most natural reaction there is for you to want to clear your name. But most ordinary people aren't always learned in the law, which is why they tend to hire lawyers to represent them.

You still can't explain why the McCann's first instinct was to try to run from the findings of the highly trained dogs and their vastly experienced handler. They were brought over from Britain by the way so not a local conspiracy like you're trying to paint.

This could have been a big break in the case, a clue to what really happened. The McCann's didn't consider that for a second. They couldn't have known that the dogs were wrong or right or anything. So to instantly try to dismiss it and get their highly paid team after it stinks. It's not the reaction of innocent people.

No, the most natural reaction to a clue in finding your lost daughter that you abandoned to go out with your friends would be to try to see if that leads anywhere. It's not to book a flight out of the country and not even consider that the dogs were right. How could they have known the dogs were wrong?

• Advertisement

The alert didn't turn anything conclusive up. The PJ were apparently trying to use this alert to build a case against the McCanns themselves, among other things which turned out to be similarly non starters. It was natural for the McCanns to discredit this for two reasons - the investigation couldn't move forward very well if this was the leading theory with the PJ team, and public goodwill, support and aid would have been sorely compromised if tabloids had been allowed to continue with their headlines connecting the McCanns to their daughter's disappearance. It is very important in investigations to eliminate certain theories in order to narrow down the range of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How could they have known the dogs were wrong?

Well they knew they had not killed her. So thats how they knew the dogs were wrong.

Well done inspector Clouseau, I can see you have put a lot of thought into this.

No way the parents could know whether the dogs were right or wrong to positively identify their hire car as having had a dead body in it. I can understand forgetting something like that, easy to do.

I once found a dead elephant in the boot of my Civic I had completely forgotten about, so can relate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Packrat

Isn't there any rule against this type of trolling anymore?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

The dogs weren't trying to build a case against the McCann's. They weren't trying to end any goodwill towards them. They made an alert in the apartment. As innocent people, any family in that situation would have tried to find the explanation for that. The abductor may have harmed Madeleine in the apartment. The McCann's booked a flight out of there and got their team to try to rubbish the findings.

But how did they know an abductor hadn't killed her in the apartment? How did they not even consider that?

Well you've forgotten about the findings in the apartment. Similarly, the McCann's forgot that the findings didn't automatically point to them. Hence their reaction to it was extremely suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"The McCann's booked a flight out of there and got their team to try to rubbish the findings."

4 months after Madeleine went missing both parents were made 'arguidos' and flew back to England. 10 months later the arguido status was lifted.

As arguidos it would have been stupid to remain in Portugal. The local police would have made a big media show of the English couple being arrested. Much like the Irish police did with Ian Bailey and Jules Thomas ( that other thread you're trolling on)

What has that got to do with them not even considering the cadaver dog findings might have helped find out what happened to their daughter? That's the second trolling accusation in the past few posts. Not agreeing that the McCann's are all innocent and whiter than white is not trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

My response was nothing to do with the dogs, just this;" The McCann's booked a flight out of there......"

Poining out it was 4 months after Madeleine went missing.

Two dogs bark - now what? Over to you to explain what comes next that leads to solving the case and why the attitude of the McCanns has anything whatsoever to do with what comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Eh, wouldn't that mean the abductor had to be in the apartment with a dead body for a number of hours for there to be any traces left for the dogs to detect? That never happened.

The Portuguese police were obviously trying to stitch up the parents because they had zero other leads and wanted the whole media circus to end.

They appear to have accepted this, otherwise why did they apologise for how the parents were treated?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67229219

The McCann lawyers did not 'rubbish' the findings. They rubbished the conclusion the PJ were attempting to draw from those findings. That's the difference.

Whether through corruption or simple bad police work, the PJ were attempting to put the finger on the McCanns. It would behoove anyone who finds themselves in this situation to find good legal counsel, so that the theory can be quickly eliminated and actual investigative work can then continue. You say that the natural reaction is to be all over the sniffer dog evidence. I say that it's kind of hard to do that when the police are trying to frame you by using it. Proper evidence is needed, and not only was this pointed out by the McCanns to clear their own name, but it would have been pointed out by anyone else who was accused using the same standard of 'proof'.

The sniffer dog alert was tested forensically and yielded no breakthrough. There was nowhere for this avenue to go.

I know it was nothing to do with the dogs. So not sure why you quoted my post.

• Advertisement

If you were desperately looking for your daughter and cadaver dogs make an alert in the apartment you were staying in, would you get a flight out of the country as quick as you could? That's what I'm discussing here. Their reaction was extremely suspicious. There's no getting around that.

The McCann's couldn't have known anything about what the findings could have meant. The dogs weren't trying to stitch them up, either was their handler.

The theory, such as it is, could only point to the McCanns as it would be close to an impossibility for a 3rd party to be involved if her body was actually in the apartment for several hours.

You know that thing - we've all done it at some stage, I'm sure - where you kill your child by giving them Calpol and then stick their body behind a settee or in a press, and then raise the alarm about them being missing but a few hours later. The perfect crime, you'll all agree. People look behind couches for coins and socks. Not for dead children. No way that little avenue would have been investigated or stumbled upon in the frantic searching which followed the alarm being raised about her disappearance.

I haven't discussed the police at all. They are completely irrelevant to the McCann's reaction. And their team did try to rubbish the reputation of the dogs and what cadaver dogs could find. And kept going long after the McCann's were suspects.

Why would I answer yours? It has nothing to do with what I've been discussing. I've said already, the dogs being wrong or right is irrelevant to what way the McCann's and their team reacted to it.

I already explained to you that the apparent dog reactions to their hire car could only have meant they were involved if supporting evidence had been found, so stop with revisiting your favourite straw man in every single post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I never said the dogs or their handler were trying to stitch them up. I think the Portuguese police were and that's why the parents returned to the UK.

You made a couple of linked assertions, I asked you to back up the first on which the second depended in order to have any validity. You failed to do so, rendering your second assertion invalid.

Now you claim your first assertion has nothing to do with anything, which is a good summation of your logically clumsy and deficient posts.

• Advertisement

They were central to the McCanns' reaction. They pointed the finger at the McCanns after the alerts and the McCanns then got lawyers to help them clear their name. That is direct cause and effect.

Sniffer dogs are not evidence in and of themselves. They can point to places where evidence may be collected or samples tested, but if that process yields nothing, the investigation moves on.

Advertisement