Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very good. You are correct. It will probably be declared a sell-out on the first day. And then people will panic and will pick up tickets at whatever price they are going at after that when they miraculously appear on Ticketmaster in the coming months. My own family were the same for Coldplay. After the first declaration of "sold out", they were on to me to buy any tickets if I ever come across them. Whatever the price. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

100%, that is their sales strategy - I couldn't believe the amount of people panicking and forking out 800e for Coldplay tickets, as they were again "conveniently" all that was left. On the plus side maybe you get a Chris Martin bobble head and a retro Coldplay pog with your ticket!

4 nights in Croke Park at about 100,000 capacity a night... Tickets will be flying up and down Jones road like confetti on the days of the gigs.

The absolute lack of transparency in the Ticketmaster process means they can completely abuse their position and generate as much fabricated hype as they want. If they don't shift tickets as 800e platinum tickets, they'll go back advertised as limited production seats at face value or a surprise ticket drop. Live Nation and Ticketmaster are dispicable!

It's gut wrenching in this case that us genuine PJ fans waiting for them to come back since 2009 get screwed... But it's also gut wrenching that artists take zero accountability for looking after their fans. PJ with their 90s mentality would be sickened to the core by this carry on!

Post edited by RolandGoose on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im also miffed about the price of this but will grudgingly pay it. Id forgive them if PJ put on big expensive productions like AC/DC or Roger Waters do but its just going to be them on stage playing. Which is fine but it doesnt justify €130 or €180 to be up close, its a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats the problem you see, people will grumble but they will inevitably pay it.

Taylor Swift and Bruce Springsteen took the inital flack for greedy prices, people were up in arms but the shows sold out.

These eye watering prices have been normalised now, which is very sad.

Pearl Jam has no real justification for charging big prices, their touring setup is very low cost compared with the liked of Swift.

Greed is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its €146 for standing for AcDc ..... Thats a no for me.

Still 50-50 about PJ ...

Greed is King now ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Have seen Eddie solo shows a few times at about €100 a pop, so this is about right really, saw them on both nights at Hyde Park and they were bloody amazing, think it's a bit steep but know it'll be a brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Not having a go at you, everything you say is on the money (so to speak), but I'm not a fan of the 'people will inevitably pay it' line. To a large degree, you're right, but I wish we (as a country) didn't just suck it up and say 'well we'll accept getting screwed over'. Its such a get out of jail card that Ticketbastard is hoping we'll all just accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Again it’s the artist that ultimately set the prices. As you can see from how all PJ shows are pretty much within the same €10-15 price range.

its PJ who are asking for a few million to play any show.

The Smashing Pumpkins are playing here in June, the cheapest tickets Ticketmaster are currently peddling are 421e a piece. Some VIP BS tickets apparently!

I'd expect the same antics very soon after PJ go Onsale!

To those who say insurance, security and rising energy prices are to do with these outrageous ticket prices, how come Arcade Fire can play a pretty much identical venue with a top support act and charge 71e GA and 81e for Gold Circle tickets?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Been going to PJ gigs since the 90s, and hoping I'm successful in getting 10C tickets for Marlay Park. I can't remember exactly why it was, but it was a long time ago that I realised that these huge acts are basically big corporations. You see the 5 guys on stage and think that's "Pearl Jam", but it's not. "Pearl Jam" is a multi million dollar business, employing the same number of people as a Medium Enterprise. The five guys you see on the stage at the gig are just the face of the company. Same with ACDC, same with Foo Fighters, same with Green Day, etc. They are big business, profit making entities. The musicians are professionals out to make money, serious money. Nice guys I'm sure, but likely relatively ruthless in a business sense.

Make peace with that, and you'll make peace with ludicrous ticket prices. Supply and demand, market dynamics etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its just greed, pure and simple.

Promoters are using all these as excuses.

The truth is most of the modern stages are carbon fibre frame, lighter and more compact than steel so less trucks are required to transport big stadia setups than in the past.

Pearl Jams setup is as basic as they come though, they had a couple of tiny screens when I saw them in the O2 in 2018, and that was pretty much it.

The stage in Dublin in being built for Longitude so its no extra cost to the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’d say with Arcade Fire there’s a sexual allegations discount

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭loveboat captain

I fully accept the guys in the band are just the face of the company, and as such need to be paid sufficiently to fund the rest of the company. It's the fact the other artists you've mentioned are all touring this summer and all have significantly lower priced tickets available. I gave up my ten club membership a few years back, I didn't believe I was getting anywhere near enough bang for my buck. If I was still a ten club member I'd be extremely pissed off that I'm paying my £40 a year, to essentially get access to tickets which are available for €177, when one of the similar acts you mentioned (green day) sold the exact same tickets, at the exact same venue, for significantly cheaper to their own fan club members. Add to that the issue re Berlin tickets being 65% more expensive than 2 years ago and something isn't right.

From a Pearl Jam point of view, I do wonder if the change in manager has anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Iirc Lenny Cohen did it right.

Become a member of his fan club.

Ticket sales through his site.

Register for interest.

2 tickets sold per member.

If the members can't go, the tickets go back to the site and are allocated to the next in line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I don't disagree with anything you've said. The prices are stomach churning. But I get the impression people feel personally wounded by the band they love, as if some sort of veil has just been lifted and the truth revealed for the first time. The relationship between Pearl Jam and their fans isn't much different to the one between Apple and an iPhone customer. There's some fierce loyalty and blindness in there among some, and it suits all parties.

Great music, great shows, but like an iPhone you're going to pay through the nose for it.

Green Day have decided they are Motorola. 😂

Aye but Pearl Jam were at their best when they were once the big boys relegated to slight underdogs (err like...Nokia)

Oh is Kelly Curtis no longer their manager? It's not the 10C main guy is it? Tim Bierman?

Would you feel fortunate to get a gold circle ticket for 187e, if they were gonna jump to 400e plus after going onsale?

This is exactly what happened with the AC/DC general sale this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NPC101

After seeing a bigger demand for AC/DC than I was expecting, bit the bullet for the 10C golden circle tickets. Shame we weren’t given the option of getting GA tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

Don't forget Green Day has dynamic pricing too - their gold circle went up to 170, now down to 145

Do you reckon Pearl Jam will have dynamic pricing too..? It's a far cry from their days battling Ticketmaster that's for sure - I don't blame TM for a lot of this, this all comes from the artist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

In fairness, Pearl Jam have always made a big deal of promoting community, inclusiveness, concern for fans etc. throughout their career. This is what makes the current situation so distasteful for long time fans like myself.

To anyone wondering, Pearl Jam were fully aboard the dynamic pricing model for the gigs in the states last year, don't be surprised if it's the same this year

Curtis retired a few years ago from what I remember, 2020/2021 time I think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't realise there's a new manager in place, but it makes sense. From what I can see for upcoming tour, the price we see is the price we pay, so the 177 won't be increasing, same that GA wont/shouldn't increase.

Ticket transfer will not be in effect. 10% of tickets will be allowed for TM Premium, which they say is done to allow for better locations and Qty for 10c.

Choice of tix for 10c has gone off a cliff, it looks like TM manage it more now (explains new manager thing really). Appears in many spots its not allowing early access(unless since clarified), and can only select GA or Seat, not either (doesnt affect Dublin in fairness). So if wanted to stand up front, you may be allocated a crap seat in the gods....for the same price. Surely won't be the case, that'll be what I'd be clinging on to.

10c membership may as well go in the bin though, very steep price increases for down to no return now.

The whole "standing or seating" thing is a mess. Like you said, either get standing or quite possibly sit with the gods 😂 Something has definitely changed in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Am I too naive to not want to blame the band, that they've done what they can for people, even if pricing is way off, and that Live Nation tentacles are just too far in now for it to go back? MSG on last tour was when concessions to TM ppactices came in, there's no going back from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ergo

Any 10c members tried to give their bank a heads up on a possible transaction?

Just on to BOI there, naturally enough the person hadn't a clue what I was looking for, offered to put a stop on the transaction until I shouted a bit louder not to do that...!

Hopefully if get selected will go through ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Kilteragh

Yep. PTSB absolutely no help whatsoever so I'm half-expecting it to be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was concerned that leaving a note would work to counter effect, but the AIB customer service agent said people do this type of thing "all the time," especially prior to trips abroad, where atypical charges could start appearing. They completely understood what the situation was. I don't foresee any issue.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Kilteragh

PTSB had that facility where you could let them know when you would be out of the country and what country you would be in. Made total sense. They got rid of it!

Advertisement