Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

I've seen the band many times since 2000, and am enough of a hardcore fan, though I won't defend everything they do. I've always had a reasonably healthy relationship to the band.

However I kind of feel like this is one where I can't justify the costs, even if I can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I'vw been a hardcore fan since Ten, have seen them on every tour and frequently travelled abroad to see them. I'm a member of the Irish and Scottish PJ fan Facebook groups and have made lots of great friends through this. I'm disgusted with the money grabbing though as are many of PJ's other long time fans. Many people blaming it on the industry and saying that it's largely out the band's control but that doesn't add up when you see that Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins are also touring and their tickets are not as expensive. I can afford the prices but the blatant gouging is sticking in my throat. Sorely tempted to boycott the gigs although it'd break my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Where has 177 euros been quoted? That's very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Kilteragh

That's exactly it. I do the authorisation so often I can't recall whether I did this time or not.

I'm at the stage now where, if it fails I'll just go into the General Sale and get tickets there. Then I'll unsubscribe from 10C as it's a waste of time if this (seemingly hugely expensive) perk is unworkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was also unimpressed with the optional €10 souvenir ticket - not even a laminate and lanyard - that would only ship after the concert, so served zero practical value whatsoever.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Ugh, I opened this expecting it to be about PJ Harvery. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Wow - didn't even realise that you get the ticket afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think there will be lots of cheap tickets floating around the week of the gig, June is saturated with events.

Thats my plan anyway, will try to pick up a few cheap tickets.

Im too old to queue up to try and get a decent spot in GA so I will try to get Gold Circle but might be harder to get one of them below face.

Many people blaming it on the industry and saying that it's largely out the band's control but that doesn't add up when you see that Foo Fighters and Smashing Pumpkins are also touring and their tickets are not as expensive.

Its just greed on Pearl Jams part they can decide what prices to charge, they are gouging to the max.

Its not like they have a big tour crew, their setup is minimal by modern standards, the Marlay Park stage will be built for Longitude anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Shorter gigs and increased prices. Was hoping to go to a show abroad too but can't justify it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You could be me. Absolutely massive fan as far as the avocado album but lost interest from that point on (speaking of which, their 96 gig there was my first proper rock gig).

I don't have enough interest in their later stuff (although Dance of the Clairvoyants is great) to go splash out that amount of money for a gig there and all the hassle that comes with it.

Look at Bloc Party's hits tour this year which go on sale this week, about €55 I think is the price for their seating tickets and I'd certainly get more than my money's worth for that, plus likely enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Exact same as myself ....

Breaks my heart to pay that money , but would break my heart to not see them....

Thats what bands count on when they say "fcuk em , put up the price".. .....

😏

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

What's the craic any chance of the gold circle if not in Ten Club. I met my membership go a few years ago. Surely there will be some available for general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Kilteragh

I hope so. It all depends on demand. Sounds like lots are being put off by the prices.

If Green Day is comparable gold circle won't sell out even after the general sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭flasher0030

With all of these ticket protests and fans not going, it's going to be very easy pick up a ticket on the day of the gig. I'd say will get a last minute ticket for €50. Would be great value then. Over to Marley for 6.00. Catch Murder Capital who are great live. And Richard Ashcroft should be ok. Presumably half his songs will be The Verves. Kinda dreary enough. But will be nice to hear Bittersweet Symphony. And then lead into 2.5 hours of Pearl Jam. But may be shorter these days. Finish up with a bit of Aive, Rockin in the free world and yellow ledbetter. If it's a dry evening, it will be a great 4 hours entertainment.

Only dilemma is how to get there and home. Based in Dublin, so it is a first world problem for me. Maybe walk or bike it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,514 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Green Luas line gets you within 25-30 minute walk to Marlay. They might have a shuttle bus to the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

It'll be closer to €188 once you add fees

I don't know about €50, probably €80 though I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

Have never missed PJ when they've played Ireland. Amazing live band. 1993, 1996 and 2000 were all incredible. 2006 in Dublin and Belfast was great fun if not quite in the league of the earlier ones. I travelled a couple of times to see them after that too and loved it. But those prices just stick in the throat a bit. Think I'll leave it with memories of them in their prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Wouldn’t have much hope of cheap tickets. Price is so high I don’t see people buying them in great numbers and selling them on for half price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I thought Dublin 2010 was weak by their standards, but Belfast the following night was superb.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭Fanirish

35k is capacity. But at that price I don’t see it being sell out and I don’t think those selling closer to it will accept low offers.

and wouldn’t be betting on ticket transfer being enabled with this whole registration process

Of course people will accept lower offers, if you can't make the show you'd rather have 80 quid in your pocket than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Its supply and demand. At 3pm on 22 June 2024, if I am stuck with a ticket that cost me €120, I would take whatever offer comes my way rather than get nothing.

Of course there will be people selling tickets. There will be many people that will plan to go, buy the tickets and then plans change. Happens every gig. I picked a Bruce Springsteen ticket for the last RDS gigs for €70 on the afternoon of the gig. And they were scarce.

The Pearl Jam fanbase had dwindled a bit. It is not new music that is keeping them going. It is that they put on a great live show. It is arguable that the last 3 albums have been quite average. Gigaton being the pick out of them for me. I would actually have Lightening Bolt at below average. But you still can't beat the live shows with the quality of their back catalogue. Pearl Jam are not really garnering new fans. And the older fans are getting older and will see that a half a day standing out in Marley Park, with no convenient way of getting there and getting home, to be a pain in the a$s. And will not bother with it as they have seen PJ several times before and can live with that. I have only seen them the once - always had something on for the other tours that they had to Ireland. Wild dogs will not keep me away from this one regardless of inconveniences.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Mad cool have announced day tickets, €100 with fees… that’s a hell of a diff for a full days festival!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Well either way Ticketmaster will say it's sold out within seconds. Conveniently all that'll be left is a completely undisclosed amount of held back platinum priced tickets which guarantee the best patch of grass in the field for true fans to stand on for the fair market driven price of 500e a piece!

This registering lark is daft also, how can this guarantee tickets end up with fans!?! Anyone can register a lifelong PJ fan or a tout with the sole intention of making a killing, selling them for mad money. Any ideas how they'll decide who gets invited to buy tickets and who doesn't?!

The only thing pre registering does, is let's Ticketmaster gauge the level of interest and set their platinum pricing accordingly. Greed killed the record industry, and the greedy pigs at the wheel are en route to doing the same to the live music industry! 🖕

Advertisement