Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

Was in over Christmas myself for a family thing and was great. Seems to be closer to what it was envisaged as a venue 20+ years ago. I would have done a stretch working there back in the day and was also my first time in since it was the star bar and it's infinitely better laid out than what it was 20 odd years ago. Back then it opened to much hype but it had notions and problems with the **** wits managing it, the restaurant delayed, the club and development of the rest of the building and an owner who was way out of his depth and clueless about pubs/clubs who kept hiring fuckwits to run it during the Celtic tiger madness.

Has it changed hands or does MC still own it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't know who 'MC' is but I see a company called Lynngate Ltd own it now and they're actually in liquidation! 😮 Perhaps Lynngate have it leased to whoever is currently running it?

Didn't Colin Farrell have a stake in it at one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Is the Black Bull closed? I know it was recently sold.

No but doesn't open on Mondays or Tuesdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Bryanstown Social

We've only been there once before for lunch (shortly after it opened) and thought it was nothing special so never went back.

It has just re-opened after a refurb with a new "re-imagined" menu so we thought we'd give it a try.

Firstly the new decor is a vast improvement on the previous incarnation.

Lots of plants, soft furnishings and floor rugs have been added so the noisy, echoey bare concrete space of old has been replaced with a warm, convivial, enjoyable place to eat.

The four of us were warmly greeted and shown to our reserved table and the place was already nearly full @ 6.30pm.

After 5 mins or so a waitress appeared and asked us if we were ready to order, we said we haven't seen a menu yet!

She was all apologies and returned promptly with the menus and the wine list.

We ordered some whiskey sour cocktails to sip as we perused the menu (11e each)

Mrs ox ordered bruschetta (7.5) satay chicken thighs (9.5) and a portion of chips (5)

I went with garlic king prawns (12) the beef shortrib with mash (22) and a portion of garlic roasties to share (5)

Les enfants ordered chicken wings (5) salt and pepper squid (11.5) pasta carbonara (17) and a portion of chips (5)

We also ordered a bottle of verdejo to accompany the meal (30)

The starters arrived quickly and were all very nice, my king prawns were large and juicy in a pool of tasty garlic sauce.

I tried a bit of the squid which was tasty and flavoursome.

Everyone was happy with their food and the setting so far.

The mains also arrived very quickly after the starter plates were removed, again all very nice.

My beef was lovely, rich and tender served with a creamy mash and a red wine jus.

The chips were nicely seasoned and crispy, the garlic roasties were just ok, a bit soft with not much of a garlic flavour off them.

Again, everyone was happy with their food, all well presented and tasty.

We finished off with a baileys cheesecake (7.95) a small ice cream (4) and an espresso (2.75)

We were all very impressed with the new decor, the food was very good, as was the service.

Everyone gave the meal a solid 8/10

The total came to 187.20 (of which 63 euro was drinks)

The only niggles were the roasties weren't great and the food was served just a bit too quickly, not giving us much time for conversation.

(I'd rather the food be served too quickly rather than waiting ages between courses though)

Having almost never frequented the place before, we will definitely go back regularly and soon.

The new surroundings and menu are a vast improvement on what was there previously.

The best restaurant in town right now?

Very possibly.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Great comprehensive review.

i was there couple years ago and swore id never go back but maybe after that review its worth another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Nearly 200 euro to dine out in Drogheda!

That Chapter One €150 euro four course menu is starting to sound like a bargain now.

Hmm, not quite!

There were four of us, so not including drinks the meal came in at just over 30 euro each.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

€187 for a family of four, including a good amount of drinks? I've seen FAR FAR worse value in Louth.

The €150pp dinner menu (exc drinks) in Chapter One doesn't really make sense even referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Fair enough, it doesn't look too bad when put like that.

I mentioned Chapter One as it's probably the most well known Michelin star place that some people (not me for sure) fancy going to, that's all. But I agree, 187/4 isn't comparable to their €150/1.

€150 per head for dinner and there's ONE option for main and it's CHICKEN. I'm sure it's lovely chicken but... €150 lovely?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭lamoss

It has gone very quiet on here.

Any new restaurants opened anywhere ?

There seems to less restaurants about than before the covid hit. What ones are about have got expensive or are serving smaller portions .

Peony Chinese take away closed a few months ago and has not reopened. Freddies burritos on West street has closed only after being open only a few months.

A tough time to be in the restaurant business now, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That restaurant at the bull ring appears to be opening/re-opening.

I think it's just a pizza place now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I went to Antica Toscana last weekend, hadn't been there since it was the Boiled Onion a million years ago! It was absolutely rocking, great atmosphere in it, was lovely to see a place busy. Food was lovely & staff were very attentive.

Takeaway only though, no seating.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone know anything about the "Gringos" Mexican place opening in Bryanstown? No real online presence yet. Just a massive sign in the window saying they're coming soon.

(Best I could find is their Google ID page has been registered to a gmail account, so doesn't seem to be part of any larger chain. I love Mexican food though and hope it's good....)

Four of us went to Antica Toscana yesterday evening for a family occasion.

It's about eight years since I've been there I reckon.

We had a table booked for 6.30pm and when we got there the place was already very busy and about three quarters full.

We got seated and the waitress presented us with menus and took our drinks order straight away.

The drinks arrived promptly and our orders were taken at the same time, so far so good!

The starters arrived quickly.

We shared two starters between us, a portion of garlic bread with cheese (8.50) and the pan-fried tiger prawns tossed with garlic, fresh herbs and tomatoes in white wine tomato sauce (11.90)

The garlic bread was good, crisp and with a nice fresh garlic flavour.

The prawns were very good too, 6 large deveined prawns in a nice rich herby tomato sauce.

All four of us very impressed so far.

The mains came surprisingly quickly considering the place was so busy.

I went with the pizza napoletana - tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, anchovies, olives & capers (13.99)

Mrs ox went with spaghetti carbonara (14.99) and les enfants got a pizza margherita (11.99) and a pizza prosciutto e funghi (ham and mushroom, 15.50)

We also ordered sides of fries (4.50) and garlic & rosemary potatoes (4.99)

This is where things got interesting... 😃

My pizza was delicious, plenty of flavoursome toppings with a beautifully cooked crispy base.

I took a few bites and declared "this pizza is nicer than the ones in la pizzeria Clogherhead!"

There was silence at the table for a few seconds before all the pizza eaters said...."agreed!" 😲

Mrs ox said her carbonara was fine, she had no complaints and finished her meal but found it a bit creamy for here taste.

The fries and potatoes were ok, nothing wrong with them but nothing spectacular about them either.

We were too full for dessert so we just asked for the bill which was given to us along with some small shots of sambuca.

As well as the food we had a carafe of wine (14), a bottle of peroni (5.50) a coke, a vodka/lemonade and a cappuccino.

The bill came to 130 euro for the four of us.

The only minor negative I would say is that the service was slightly over attentive.

The place was busy and the staff were constantly monitoring the tables and checking every few minutes if we needed anything and was the food ok etc.

I'm nit-picking a bit because attentive service is better than non-attentive but it was just slightly over bearing at times.

Fair play to them though for keeping an eye on everything as the place was very busy, they could just dial it back slightly I feel.

The prompt service meant we were all finished up by 7.35pm, just over an hour!

I know I'm nit picking a bit there because the last time we were in the Clogherhead pizzeria we were waiting 40 mins between courses so given the choice I'll go with the "over attentive service" every time!

We had a really, really enjoyable meal in Antica Toscana and we're looking forward to going back there again soon.

And 24 hrs later, we stand by our statements.

The pizzas here are nicer than in Clogherhead! 😃

(P.S. mrs ox has just informed me that she thought the staff were on the ball and the service was "spot on" so maybe it was just me that thought it was too much)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Opening in November is all I know about gringos. I live up that way and theres plenty of work going on anyway. I'm very much looking forward to trying it out. With great restaurants there already in the social and the Indian I'll barely need to venture into town at all now! Although I do want to try Antica Toscana again after furiousox's comments above about the pizza being better than la pizzeria - controversial!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tried Gringos last night.

Really, really enjoyed it. We ordered the Fajitas, Enchiladas and Flatuas, and all three were delicious. We also tried the Tres Leches cake which was really something unique. Had never had a cake before that was so liquid 😂 food came out quite quickly, but that was because we were in right as they opened, so we’re first served.

Everyone was super friendly, the interior design was on point. Prices weren’t too bad either.

Will 100% be heading back. It’s great to have a new place with town that has quite a unique menu (for Drogheda).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Was also in Gringo's myself last night and same as above, really really enjoyed it. We had tacos to start, pork and beef and for mains chicken enchiladas and the beef barboca. Couple of drinks too. Great food, great atmosphere. Delighted that it's in Drogheda - it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Does anyone know what happened to the grill truck out at Killineer? Was a but rough and ready but the grub was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 drogcam

I think it is in the car park of The Well pub. Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

That's exactly where it is, they're on just eat, bbq steaks & burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

They're about to open a sit-in area at the back of the pub, food served from the BBQ grill truck. The truck was at the side of The Well (Grennans), it's been moved round the back into the beer garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

still no sign of Rocco's at the bull ring opening up?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Passed by there earlier today. Shutters were up, lights were on and definitely signs of some work happening inside. Really looking forward to it reopening. Hopefully not much longer to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Had the large breakfast in the Moreland this morning e11 including coffee. Everything tasty in it and good portions, highly recommended. Spent as much again on buns on the way out tho!

Them n hurleys should be getting grants for trying to keep that area from turning into a complete dump. I know high street retail isn't what it used to be in a lot of towns but jaysus drogheda corpo take the biscuit!

Advertisement