Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

New management, new name (Evalynn Coffee) and open 8am till 5pm (Sun 10am till 5pm). Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

€18 for fish & chips for lunch. €30 for steak.

I am in the wrong business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh, that’s funny. 99% mention her by name and some mention another guy and “chef Simon” rather unsubtly as well. That’s hilariously blatant 😂

• Advertisement

Apparently the people who own Fusion have bought the Black Bull and the Village Hotel in Bettystown :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Is that true re the black bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In scholars on saturday. slight issue with one of the mains, but they rectified it straight away.

Always a pleasure to go to IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

La Pizzeria in Clogherhead reopened last weekend but passed it today and there was a sign in the window saying it’s closed again due to covid. Gutted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

La Pizzeria open again, was in there last night and all was well. Food as good as ever, no menu for dessert as he's only offering Tiramisu or Ice Cream. Some of the same staff and a few newer ones too. The place was certainly busy.

Staying in Clogherhead the Smuggler's Inn has been open for a while now, only open Thursday to Sunday and not doing breakfasts yet. It seems to be doing well though, plenty of people, music on most nights in the upper deck. They often introduce something as a special for the weekend, this weekend they were serving Cajun Calamari and Dunany Crab Claws (Clogherhead crabs I was reliably informed, only processed in Dunany!) anyway we were only there for a drink but the people next to us were eulogising the crab claws, wherever they were from!

• Advertisement

Chip shop back open up at Clogherhead. Went up on Friday.

Food is still lovely, but the place was absolutely mental, and the massive wait times meant crowds just standing around. A lot of people were driving by the car park and trying to park right on top of the chip shop and the ice cream store too, so it was like the whacky races up there. Not sure who invested in putting a proper surface on the car park, and putting new tables in but they were a nice getaway from the shops themselves, and the elevated view of the bay was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

they need to close off the actual pier to traffic at the weekends - apart from those who actually need to get their motors on to the pier. with the numbers of people walking around and the scattergun nature of the parking it is an accident waiting to happen. The car park is big enough to cater for the traffic.

I've been going there for years at the weekends with the dogs and kids and in the last 12 months I rarely will go up their as it is just too busy - or else I'll go up late on a Sunday afternoon when most of the crowd are gone and indulge in a few chips looking out at the sea

I was in Scholars over the weekend - ate in the bar and again it was a simply lovely meal out with the wife .. food was great, bar is a lovely welcoming setting and the service was as expected. It is still my go to place in Drogheda when I was a nice evening out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tried Courtyard Coffee yesterday in Greene's old yard. Lovely setting - all outdoors with a lovely pergola with a perspex roof. Total suntrap too, it was lovely sitting out in it yesterday morning. Service a bit on the slow side but the staff were lovely, coffee was really nice & apple slice delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Had sunday lunch in the Village hotel, Bettystown over the weekend, place was rammed.

I do like the food there, i ordered turkey and ham, the plate came out , a severe shortage of food on the plate .. i could have eaten 2 of them.

16.95 for the turkey and ham, i asked the waitress for more potatoes and vegetables , i was not paying 16.95 for a portion which wouldnt fill a mouse !

Service was brutal, but i will put that down to it being so busy. I have always been looked after before with no major delays.

Anyone tried the 'Guru' Indian take-away where the Hot Pot used to be?

CPL 593H

Was in Donegans recently. the fillet steak (always completely reliable, and I've been going there donkey's years) was €38. As far as I can remember, at my last visit about six weeks prior, it was €29.50. if I am right, that's a huge increase

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The steak combi in the valley in is now over €30 on the bar menu, crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭gipi

Yeah, the Valley 2 and 3 course deal has increased recently, with a €10 supplement for steak. That and the five euro pint are hitting the wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lunch is the best value in the valley Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Any recommendations for nice lunch/brunch spots in Drogheda?

Was looking at Bare Food Co. and Five Good Things but have no experience of either.

• Advertisement

Simona's

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

looks like a Camile thai take away is opening in SouthGate.

.....and the lemonade cafe at tesco is being converted into a costa coffee outlet.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Late reply so apologies but I've eaten out of here a few times since it opened only as recently as last night.

IMO the best Indian takeaway in Drogheda. I've tried all of them since moving here.

I'm interested in Freddie's Burritos on West Street. It's been painted externally for the last 2 months at least but still isn't open.

Anyone know what's happening with it? It's the one thing that Drogheda is missing...a good burrito bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Won't be going back to Dave's Diner again. Deplorable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's ridiculous.

Took about 40 mins to get a couple of sandwiches there a few weeks ago.

All very busy chatting to their mates.

Then also took to hoovering the whole place at lunch time on a Saturday???

Was starving and driving past on Sunday last week. Was going to stop. Remembered the last disaster. Drove to Tesco in Bettystown, bought bread and few bits. Went home. Made sandwich. Still way faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

We left after 45 mins of waiting for our food. It wasn't that service was slow, they'd clearly made a mistake and lost/forgotten our order, which is forgivable, but it was the awful attitude when we told them we'd been waiting 45 mins and wouldn't be waiting any longer, it was like, "well there's the door". Went to the Black Bull instead and had a fine breakfast despite getting there 20 mins after they'd moved onto the lunch menu. We will be going straight there next time.

I really, really want to like Dave's. Cause I get a strong vibe it's a family run thing, and I want to support that type of restaraunt.

But whenever I go, I think the food is really, really nice, but the general running of the place is all over the place. Between Dave himself getting very confrontational in response to online reviews, the fact I've routinely got dirty cups and things when being served, and the air of "serving my mates first, everyone else latter" from the staff when it gets busy, it can be a really rough experience overall.

Which is a shame, cause I do think they do a lovely breakfast roll....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

More of an East Meath review than Drogheda! Went to the following in the last couple of months -

Glenside - consistently quality grub. Not a spot I'd hang around in after the food but that's a minor detail.

Village hotel- in a word, dreadful! Small menu, big prices- food very poor. Around a dozen Ukrainians looking into my gob every time I took a bite! Place seemed run down.

Whytes - nice relaxed setting, can just turn up without a booking. Plenty of options on menu, food yum, great Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Anyone tried Song and Jenn's in the back of McHugh's? Drove past there on Monday evening & it was jammers.

Advertisement