Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland vs France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For me, if the player gets the ball on the grass over the line, then unless there is something to 100% say it wasn't grounded, then award the try.

Far better for the game, in the absence of definitive proof either way, give BOD to the attacking team and everyone just move on.

I dont think we would have heard a word of complaint from France had the try been awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Show me where you have an image of that ball touching the line or the ground beyond the line.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why is that in question?

the referee said the ball was held up.

the ball cannot be held up if it is in the field of play, therefore the ball HAD to be over the line.

Can you explain how the ball couldnt have been touching the ground on/beyond the line, based on the images we all saw? The ball clearly was on the boot and then dropped off it....onto what? A stray choc-ice?

Show me that same image you require but for every other try that was awarded the last two weekends?

If your argument is that every other try is perfectly clear then I am going to disagree with you.

Even Fickou's try, can you guarantee that the ball touched the ground and that it wasn't just his hand/arm on the ground before he slid into touch?

Did anyone ask to check it?

How about Sheehans try? No way the ref saw that amongst the pile of bodies but he blew and awarded anyway. In the below still you can see his arm out as he blows the whistle, no sign of the ball from his angle though, there are 2-3 Irish bodies in the way at least.

Or how about Lowe's try?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I was sitting behind the posts for those two - in both cases you could clearly see the ball grounded from our viewing angle

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

The reverse angle showed the grounding quite clearly anyway. It's a bit disingenuous to post pictures of tries which had other angles explicitly showing the grounding. For the Scottish non-try, every angle was examined (and even more so since), and nothing conclusive was found. Like most, I think it was probably grounded, but there is not enough video evidence to overturn the on-field decision.

Sure, but the ref awarded it before any AR had a chance to comment. I have no issue with the try btw.

The entire point is that the ref didnt look at ANY replay angles before awarding those tries!

He also awarded the JGP try despite it clearly being knocked on, so obviously he didnt have a good view yet still awarded it in real time.

If he can change his mind about the JGP try, why not the Scottish one?

• Advertisement

No, and he didn't look at any replays before calling held-up in the Scotland game either. He called it as he saw it live and neither himself nor the TMO subsequently found enough evidence to overturn it. The same applies to the Irish tries above, but it's a lot less dramatic because the tries were clearly scored. I'm pretty sure every try is checked in the background by the TMO and it would be called back if there was an issue - e.g. the disallowed Henshaw try.

You mean the opposite angle to the referee who awarded it in real time, instantly after the ball was touched down?

Please read my posts lads, I'm not arguing that these other examples are not tries, my point is that the ref awarded them when clearly he didnt and couldnt have seen the grounding.

If the only avenue open once the Ref goes to the TMO is "Prove me wrong with 100% certainty" then the on field decisions should always go with the attacking team and should be that the try was scored unless something proves contrary.

So there wasnt a great big Scottish hand on it to take it off the boot?

Yes, I know thats what happened, my point is that its a stupid law and that the BOD should go with the attacking team unless proven otherwise.

"Is there any reason why I cannot award the try" Simple.

I get what you're saying, but in this case the referee believed the ball was held up. Are you saying he should go against that belief and award the try anyway pending evidence to the contrary? Does that not neuter his on-field authority?

It moved backwards on the replay.

Show the picture proof that the ball touched the line or the ground ahead of the line.

It's a simple ask. If they have proof they can change on field, if not they can't

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Again, there was zero question as to whether the ball was in goal or not. You're trying to introduce a factor to the situation which was not there.

The question was was there clear evidence that the ball wasn't held up, as per the referees decision. There wasn't enough clarity for the tmo to change the on field decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭ersatz

He may have seen a grounding if people in the stands saw it for those other tries. In the Scotland case no-one saw the grounding and no-one can say for certain that there isn't a hand underneath the ball in all the clips examined. Its unfortunate but no way anyone can say a try was definitely scored which is what's needed to overturn the onfield decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't think the ref should be using inconclusive video to overrule himself though. He had the best position to see and was the closest one to the action.

The ref felt the ball was held up. So he did feel there was a reason not to award the try, so doesn't seem like a question he should be asking in that scenario.

Grounding check means was it beyond the try line when touching the ground. It was held up in one position, then moved.

The TMO has zero leeway there. They can not see a grounding after the movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’ve no idea what the referee did or didn’t see - we don’t have ref cam anymore!

Either way, in both cases he saw enough to form the opinion a try was scored. And as the TMO didn’t have any evidence to show or even suggest that the referee was definitely incorrect in either case then the on-field decision didn’t even warrant a review.

On Saturday, the referee saw enough in real time to believe the ball was held up. The TMO had enough to suggest there might be a problem; but not enough to show it was definitely incorrect. The referee’s role is to call the game as he/she sees it. That’s the fundamental principle across all levels of the game. So if it can’t be shown to be definitely incorrect then the on-field decision has to stand.

Allowing referees to fudge making their initial decision because they can toss responsibility to the TMO undermines the role of the referee.

There was multiple bodies piled up. There was no way of knowing if the ball came off the boot and who was moving it and how.

Did a Scottish player push the ball carrier forward but with no control of the ball?

As for the Irish tries, the AR for the Lowe try is perfectly placed, likewise the AR for Sheehans is too and they routinely would give a thumbs up to the ref to indicate they have a grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

In addition to the 'soft' signal from the nearest AR, the Ref has the TMO in his earpiece. Just because we don't see or hear their confirmation doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

He might have been closest but that doesnt mean the best angle, hence the TMO.

It was obvious to me that the ref thought he was wrong during the replays and was about to award the try until the TMO went into the "I cant prove you wrong so you have to stick with your on field decision"

But I gave multiple other scenarios where the ref awards the try without any ability to be sure of it but he does it anyway and assumes the TMO or AR will over rule if needed. Why not just make that the default behaviour? Whats wrong with "is there any reason I shouldnt award this try"?

Ah come on. You can clearly see from the stills that the ref has no view of the ball being grounded. The physically has no way of seeing the ball if there are bodies in front of him.

Clearly yesterday he tossed responsibility to the TMO? HE should award the try unless its obviously not a try and let someone overrule him if he is clearly wrong, like he did for the examples I posted the stills from. He 100% had no way to see the ball grounded from his position. Probably they were grounded (and from other angles we can see that they were) but why use "probably" some times and not all times?

Sure, but not in the timeperiod between the balls being grounded and the ref blowing his whistle. (in the examples I posted)

The ball didnt go forward, it moved sideways off the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

'The TMO’s opinion was that the replays didn’t show clearly the ball being grounded; but they also didn’t show that it wasn’t, so where was it? It looked down to me, and no reasonable doubt existed to cancel out the try. Surely, these very tight situations should be treated in the same way as a penalty try, on the basis of probability. Common sense, dare I say.' - Owen Doyle in the Irish Times today

Imho Doyle is hanging out TMO Brian McNiece & Ref Nic Berry to dry here.

Maybe a Law change is needed to avoid these situations, but with the present Laws the officials had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But the ref saw it held up. You want him to ignore what he saw and go with what might have happened.

If the ref saw nothing then you might have a point but in this case he saw it held up.

The Scottish player actually carrying the ball should have celebrated. You can see all the France players celebrate the ball held up and the Scottish players not celebrating. That definitely paints a picture in the refs mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

This isn't even the Laws. Their decision is covered by the "Television Match Official TMO) Protocol" document. The first guiding principal of the protocol is that the referee remains the lead decision maker. That pretty much covers this situation. Once Nic Berry thought the ball was held up he'd made the only common sense decision available.

No amount of cameras will give us the most accurate decisions possible without creating contentious outcomes like this.

Advertisement