Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭bren2001

It is in the interest of the public of Ireland to meet the targets setout in the EU Directives. Otherwise, we may be fined. The fine would outstrip any additional increase in the price of products due to the increased manpower required for registering with ReTurn. The effect is minimal to negligible.

There will be a handful of people unable to import obscure drinks. An example would be craft beer from foreign countries.

There's talk of an EU logo being developed. I would expect an integrated scheme across the EU to be launched at some point in the future which would tackle exactly what you are referring too. Likely, this would be a decade away (pure guess but I am only trying to say is that it wont be any time soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

Tescos in Greystones have a lad standing beside the machine there. When I saw stuff being rejected on Saturday his answer was along the lines of 'not sure what's going on there but you can just put it in that bin at the exit'. He certainly wasn't looking to offer a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Maybe he was eyeing up bonus overtime as if i paid and that happen i would be going inside to helpdesk or till for checking.

Yes also seen outdoor bin full in Tesco in Cabinteely with non paid bottles so they are not getting dumped around.

If it keeps the place cleaner Well done.

One of many thousand nutters doing this so your not odd for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There were zero other nutters at the row of machines I was looking at, in fact they looked incongruous and irrelevant to the passer by. Will they still be there next year?

• Advertisement

Yes if its going to be the normal thing.

Part of daily life we will have to get used to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭thebourke

ive been into a few shops and have not seen the re turn symbol on many plastic bottles?

anybody else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Old stock has to be used before we might see them on a daily basis.

It depends how quick a product moves in a store and needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My local Tesco express has been out of most of their beer for the last two weeks and apparently its to do with this.

Also, the machine has been out of order since it arrived. I wonder how many return car trips they expect people to make??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i think foot-traffic and how busy the store is, and generally the type of people living in the area may also have an affect. i live in a community with lots of young people often throwing parties and have noticed that the bottles/cans containing a deposit were specificly a priority on what i see often being bought/drank and virtually abandoned on everything else.

Meanwhile in other tescos, and some primarily where there's alot less foot traffic and alot more older people living in the area, i've noticed that the soda's and drink is virtually untouched, with old stock remaining, but the waters from those areas was all fast to go and all they have left is the new waters with the logo's on them. some have asked me to pick up bottled water on the cheap and drop it into them when going there way, in return some of them are buying cheap (pre-deposit/non-logo) soda's and drink to hold onto for me.

you're right about it depending on how quick stock moves in a store, but also activity and age-group of shoppers plays a part into it.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Just seen this on Facebook on Every can Counts.

There’s a new way to recycle cans in Ireland!

How are we all feeling about it?

We recently found that 29% of people in Ireland are not confident about how to use the new Deposit Return Scheme.

So for anyone unsure about how to return their drink containers and reclaim their refundable deposits, we've gathered some tips for you:

First, ensure your drink container has a Re-turn logo – only containers with this logo are included in the scheme, so if your container doesn’t have this it isn’t eligible for the refundable deposit. Also, make sure it is empty of any fluid and is undamaged. If it has been crushed or dented, it won’t be accepted.

Next, take your drink container to a Reverse Vending Machine or return it manually over the counter at participating shops. All Reverse Vending Machines will have clear instructions on how to use them and once you insert your drink container, they will give you a voucher for the refundable deposit.

Finally, take your voucher to the till of a participating shop and choose either a full refund or credit towards your next store purchase.

The team at Re-turn are managing the new Deposit Return Scheme so check out their page for more information. Alternatively, leave your questions below and we'll do our best to help!

#EveryCanCounts #MetalRecyclesForever #KeepTheCycleGoing #Recycle #RecyclingProcess #DepositReturnScheme

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Every can counts?

So fúck the worthless plastic, give us the aluminium.

It's a FB page to encourage people to recycle their cans at work. Setup long before this system. Was never anything to do with plastic bottles.

Can recycling group promotes how to recycle cans... Shocking!

Of course you manufacture outrage about it. Ffs.

It says DRINK CONTAINERS as that includes plastic which is also recycled.

Every Can Counts, means cans.

First, ensure your drink container has a Re-turn logo – only containers with this logo are included in the scheme, so if your container doesn’t have this it isn’t eligible for the refundable deposit.

I see they are spreading misinformation on Facebook too.

I wonder what the budget for the Comms team and advertising is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

So whos making the profits from the deposits if you cant return the bottle or cans. It might only be a few cents to one person but what would it be country wide?

They keep updating info and barcodes need to go to manual return desk

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I’m sorry if this has already been asked, but does scheme apply only to items that have had the 15/25c deposit applied when purchased or can I take other cans/bottles too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In theory it is only supposed to apply to the ones deposits were paid for but in the confusion of the rollout there are some older items getting refunded and some newly purchased items getting rejected.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

I've a large cardboard box that is now beyond full......about 15 plastic bottles, mainly two litres plus a few 330ml and 500ml cans, all intact and consisting mainly of air......a huge user of space. None have the return symbol on them. Normally, they would have all had gone into the recycle bin at home but I've been collecting the bottles and cans the past few weeks. Only a few of them have had the extra charge paid on them. I don't expect to get the full deposit amount back on all the cans and bottles and on this visit. I am happy just to have the vending machine accept everything I will put into it.

I'll shortly be driving down to the local supervalu specifically to get rid of a buildup of cans and bottles as I've no more spare room, as mentioned the 240l recycle bin was were they all used to go, crushed/stamped on to minimise their size. I don't need to purchase anything in the shop for several days but I've no more available space for the bottles/cans so need to offload them.

So now I'm going to make a return trip in a diesel car, starting it from cold as I've not been driving today, for the sole purpose of bringing my bulky recyclable waste to another place instead of being crushed and put in my recycle bin, right beside the back door.

I really don't see the environmental benefit, in fact from my personal experience, this is a majorly backward step.

It's nothing to do with ReTurn.

It's a can recycling action group promoting recycling cans.

It's f*cking ridiculous to take issue with them in your original manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why are you telling us this tale of woe ?

The entire scenario you describe is of your own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jj880

Its amazing how much shambles and p!ss taking can be compartmentalised by green fanatics with the blanket statement "BuT iTs FoR dE eNvIrOnMeNt". You'd think people haven't enough time wasting bollox to put up with these days. Its obvious Re-Turn just want you to pay the deposit and feck off. As long as the RVMs get some usage they can point to that as success.

100% agree. Major step backwards but as long as someone's coining it ah sure be grand - that's how it gets done in Ireland. Pigs will fly up their own holes before the money collected from this scheme is re-invested into a plastic recycling plant here.

Post edited by jj880 on

The unclaimed deposits go back into the running of the scheme.

The scheme is run by Re-turn which is a not for profit company.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not for profit means that there is even more money going into the pockets of everyone associated with the scam company as there are no shareholders to be answerable too to be acting as a check on their salaries.

So you'd prefer if shareholders were drawing dividends out of the scheme ?

The directors of the company are responsible for it.

If you have any evidence of financial impropriety connected to the company you know what to do.

• Advertisement

Bring items rejected that you paid a deposit on to till or customer service desk in store.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement