Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to vote for to massively improve public transport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think that if you get the initial one built, the public clamour for more will be unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

It will not be possible to meet the public demand for more lines unless some plan is in place. Not in a reasonable time scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Single Transferable Vote means that you can give those votes without worrying too much about whether your candidate will be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean rural dwellers in massive houses that cost a fortune to heat and require you to drive absolutely everywhere were hardly voting for the greens in the first place, when their manifesto goes completely against the lifestyles of people who choose to live like that. Farmers hate them because they want to see more being done to stop them polluting.

I'd say younger people who voted green previously may not do so again as they're totally screwed for housing and want to see the back of all 3 parties currently in power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's the thing about the greens. The reason so many people hate them is their agenda is 'we want to change the way people live' and many people have the reaction 'who the **** are you to be telling me how to live my life?'

Whereas with other parties it's basically 'whatever you want, and more of it' as an agenda.

I find that smart educated people in cities are usually in agreement that we need to move away from planning around cars. Hopefully Greens can keep a few seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Party for smug rich suburbanites, they consume as much if not more than the average esp if you add up their carbon from jetting off to their holiday home abroad and vote Green to feel good about themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you appear to have made your mind up about the average green voter!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All this talk of wiping out the GP party seems to be forgetting that it was done before.

They were wiped out in 2011.

Not just knocked back, they had no TDs.

They still came back, and stronger.

It seems to me that they aren't your ordinary party.

The ideal and the ethos is so strong it can't be killed off.

Just on the thread title I'd say the GP have demonstrated a long term commitment to public transport so if you were basing your vote on that issue they'd be a good bet.

• Advertisement

Smug maybe, but I've no holiday home to jet off to yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The Greens never feature high up in my voting preferences, but the discourse about them is bizarre. We're told that the Greens are near universally reviled, and every government failure no matter where or when it happened is their fault. For good measure we're presented with a childish caricature of the "average green voter" being rich, vegan, smug, urban etc.

Yet they simultaneously promise that the greens will be wiped out in the next election. This makes little sense if the generalisations listed before are true. Those who hate the greens with every fibre of their being (which, according to the internet is 99% of the population) will never have voted for them to begin with, so those votes can't be lost. And you can't claim they've been hoodwinked by the treacherous Greens changing policies after getting elected. They are open about everything they want to impose upon the public. Are you telling me there's farmers out there who only since 2020 have discovered the Greens don't like the impact intensive meat and dairy farming have on the environment?

Then on the other hand, you have the cartoon character which they present as the typical Green voter. What will make them stop voting for the Greens, if (as is claimed) they're getting everything they want? Are vegan cyclists going to start voting for SF instead for some reason?

'the greens did what we voted for them to do, and now we hate them for that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The Irish Green Party seem accepting of being in a loop of a) get enough TDs elected and be immediately willing to go into coalition b) insist on green measures as part of the coalition deal c) lose the bulk/all of their TDs in a subsequent election d) spend a term in the wilderness e) build back up to the situation where they have TDs again and quickly return to a) above. Rinse and repeat.

It's fairly refreshing within the Irish system where not stirring the pot and retaining a seat for life has generally been most politicians core aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Green Parties (across Europe) Modus Operandi - "You can pollute as much as you like so long as you can afford to pay for it"

#carbonoffset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Consonata

Most people seem to have issue with actually making folk pay for it though. Hence if you go into any of the threads in After Hours its folk giving out about how theres 2c being added to their Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm Sure Eamonn Ryan will be offsetting the 28 tonnes of carbon his jolly to Rio for St. Patrick's day will generate...

São Paulo and Brasilia actually, and the figure quoted in yesterday’s Indo was 2.34 tonnes. Quite the exaggeration!

It's not an exaggeration at all when you actually think about it rather than just blindly accepting what the Indo said now is it?

2.34 tonnes is about what a direct flight from DUB to SAO would consume ( Economy class). 8.24 tonnes:First class direct return flight from DUB to SAO

As there's no direct flights then you have to fly from DUB to CDG first. The from CDG to SAO and back..

Add in the fact that the figures are based on Economy class, do you really think they will fly in anything less than Business class, 1st class to Brazil and back.(though Ryan can sleep in any chair).

First-class fliers, by contrast, have a carbon footprint that's as much as seven times larger than Economy class.

So, as this minister is travelling on business then he will have his advisors and possibly spouse travelling with him, so add in their carbon footprint for the same flights... at last count Ryan has around 7 advisors, plus other diplomats. Add in the large luxury cars to take them around on this South American junket and you see that 2.34 is a gross under exaggeration!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The current government is probably the best we've had so far , admittedly of a bad lot, in terms of public transport infrastructure in that they've funded more and better services, increased ridership to record levels and have brought 3 mega projects to construction stage (or will have by the time an election is called in 12 months).

A government composed of say Labour and Sinn Fein would abandoned this in favour of PS wages and welfare increases

a government led by FF would inherently be more focused on rural issues, helping farmers dodge tax, get grants and ignore climate targets. They aren't into public transport and would probably dismantle efforts to implement camera enforcement given that their voter base drive taxless raneg rovers and feel entitled to park wherever.

Basically your preferred government, speaking in terms of public transport only, should include the Greens, FG and perhaps the soc dems. If you sleect an independent i would suggest you think urban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Same is true of all the St Patrick's Day ministerial trips.

If ER refused to go we'd have people saying he should resign for not doing his duty.

We have these discussions every year and nothing changes.

Ireland has decided that the trips are worthwhile, even some in opposition travel.

The airfares and emissions are part of the cost of doing business on behalf of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are dramatically overestimating the number that travel to support the Minister for effect. He may well have an advisor or two. Others travelling will have particular jobs to do.

Well I think you are still exaggerating but at least you're trying to justify the figures now, which is good - better than your inaccurate but 'truthy' original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you live in Blanchardstown now, the W4 bus goes to Tallaght, introduced under the current government following Green policies on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I was listening to Eamonn Ryan on the radio this morning - he really has no sense of urgency about him. All he was talking about was Public Hearing this and Bord Pleanala that. Even on the Airport he didn't want to give a view on the passenger cap as it was a matter for Fingal CC and Bord Pleanala (seriously he's Minister for Transport he has to have a view!).

I can't see Metro North being built without a Cabinet level champion to light a fire under every state agency that's going to need to be involved - same for any other infrastructure that is needed. The Public Transport policies are easy to draft - it's a much bigger challenge to implement them and you have to roll up your sleeves and get at it. None of the current GP Ministers strike me as being remotely capable of doing that (to be fair not many of the FF / FG do either)

I was listening to Eamonn Ryan on the radio this morning - he really has no sense of urgency about him"

That sums up Ryan then really...

Watched PT last night where they had the Ryanair CEO debating the airport passenger cap, with the Greens represented by Ciaran Cuffe arguing that in a climate emergency we should reduce air travel.. As Mr. Cuffe was stood there in a freshly pressed suit live from the EU's offices in Brussels.. I guess he got there by ferry, train, bus and bicycle! (not)

Ryanair argued that the Government have had decades to either build a Metro or extend the Dart line to the airport and haven't done a thing other than spend money on consultant reports.. And RA are dead right! There's not even a dedicated Bus lane to the airport, there's no direct cycle lane either and the bicycle parking facilities in the airport are 3rd world standard...

@Chopper Dave

I can't see Metro North being built without a Cabinet level champion to light a fire under every state agency that's going to need to be involved

There is a way, it would be possible for Fingal County council to force the governments hand on this. If they started construction of a Metro from Swords to the Airport, Dublin Airport will then become Swords or Fingal Airport.

Fingal county council are entitled to do this, as it all falls within their jurisdiction and this part of the Metro will be far be the cheapest as it's above ground.

It would be a good solid kick up the hole for the government, like a serious one. (Metaphorically speaking) They'd be walking funny for months after it.

If either what I suggested or what you suggested doesn't happen, metro will be kicked down the road again. It's happened so many times already that it's expected to happen again.

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Err… that would never happen. They simply wouldn’t have the money to even start planning a metro, never mind build one!

Anyway this is all beside the point, Metrolink is happening, it is fully supported and funded by the government, the railway order has been submitted to ABP. The delay is ABP, not the government at this point.

TII are planning and building Metrolink and they have a fantastic track record of delivering major infrastructure projects on time and on budget, they built the intercity motorway network, Dublin port tunnel and Luas lines.

My only concern would be that a new government is formed which would include SF and that they would decide to cancel it before construction begins.

My only concern would be that a new government is formed which would include SF and that they would decide to cancel it before construction begins.

Or some other economic crisis, like recession. Or some social crisis, like a load of skangers burning the place to the ground. Or even some global crisis like a big war.

I accept your TII point that they have a good record, but this project is huge. It is far bigger than any other project and one of the biggest projects in the history of the state (If not the biggest publicly funded project)

Last 2 huge projects in the State (Intel Fab 34, Children's Hospital, and to an extent Apple Athenry) have been as disaster. I think this make or break for huge investment projects in Ireland. They need to get it right, first time.

• Advertisement

the 'ha ha the GP TDs and ministers take planes' nonsense gets tiring. damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Advertisement