Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times letters page

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i doubt i'll bump into him again to ask, but i'm curious if they've guidelines about having a mix of long and short letters, and where possible, a mix of topics. can you remember if they were publishing other letters on the rough topic of your metrolink one, after you sent it in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, i suspect there could be a case of 'that lad plays golf with the editor and will give him stick on the golf course if i don't publish this, so hey ho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So moral of the story is - if you don't like what's on the letters page, stop moaning and get writing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Yeah, I’m sure they do have certain criteria that they strive to fulfil, but my letters were topical yet not overdone, short and not banal (maybe that last quality explains the refusal!), elegant but not pompous (again, maybe that last..!). In the case of the Metrolink letter, I was voicing a minority view in support of it and no other metro letters were published around the time.

But I’m surprised that you seem to think that any letter that meets basic criteria will be published. I had assumed mine had just got lost in the jumble of submissions, but if you’re right about them struggling to fill the page, I’m starting to feel indignant! There are some regulars on the pages who must be blissfully unaware of the frustrations of not being published.

Except that 1) we’ve just been talking about the difficulties of being published, and 2) being published ourselves does not resolve the problem of trite, inelegant letters.

‘Further to’ this, a regular correspondent called Barry Walsh has responded to Hickey with a criticism that will cause Hickey some alarm, I’m sure. ‘Dr Hickey fails to consider the full phrase used in the proposed text, which is “other durable relationships”.’ I really hope we don’t see yet another letter from the good doctor.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised that you seem to think that any letter that meets basic criteria will be published.

i certainly did not mean to give that impression. i'd suspect the criteria shift based on the number and quality of letters, what the day's hot button topics are, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭animalinside

The major flaw with this thread, of course, is who in their right mind even gets the Irish Times regularly anymore?! 115 euro to access the website, are they having a laugh.

Is mise, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

€1 a month for 6 months online access easily available. There's a thread in bargain alerts...

It's not €115 to access the website? You can access it for free. Some content is subscriber only, but stating there's a charge to access the site is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭animalinside

Are you talking about the UK Times thread? On the Irish Times website it says you get full website access for €12 a month or €115 a year, they do give you the first month for €1 only.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

They haven't a clue. Like what do they think of their readers that one month (only) for €1 would be a draw?

I've been sucked in by a number of other newspapers who offer a 12 month good value deal, and then some way of making a more reasonable subscription palatable after that. I think the New York Times did it best with €8 for 12 months, which then gradually morphed into 8 euro a quarter, then per month, which is still better value than the IT for world and Europe news for me. The Irish Independent is much more reasonable then for Irish news.

The post immediately above this shows how you can sign up for €1 per month for 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Thanks. Strange that I would often read the couple of free articles they allow, but I've never been offered that.

Sir, – One meaningful way to respond in practice to points on the strength of local government alluded to by Paul Gillespie (“Overworked, older and mostly male: Ireland has Europe’s weakest local government”, Opinion & Analysis, April 13th) in a Dublin context would be for the replacement of area committees with a municipal district structure to occur, as is evident in urban areas throughout the rest of the country.

Abomination of an opening sentence.

Advertisement