Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times letters page

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's always an awful whiff of 'it got a good reception down the golf club' off those letters. the author's golf buddies probably think he's a dreadful bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I suppose immediate capitulation to your adversaries does still count as "anti-war".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The left in America hates Putin, it's the right that likes him now. Try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Russia is a bit of a divisive topic for both left and right from what I see.

"The left" in parts like Russia on the basis that they're so hostile to the west, and those who hate the west must be good in their eyes. There's also a bit of a hangover from Soviet days, like in Germany where the political parties who were most open to cooperation with the USSR in the Cold War are still the most enthusiastic for appeasing Russia now. Others take an opposite view and dislike Russia because of their human rights record, lack of freedoms, support for right wing groups abroad etc.

On "the right" you have the traditionalists who hate Russia because of the threat they pose to US dominance and to a lesser extent for their disregard for rules and the international order. While others on the right love Russia because they see it as the last bastion of Christendom and non-PCness compared to the west. The idea of having a strongman leader and carving other nations up into "spheres of influence" resonates with many of the Fox News set.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭animalinside

Unusually, someone had a go at one of those short letters Monday in Irish Examiner:

Lacks the "a chara" and "is mise" though, which is just the cherry on top. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭rodders999

He should have gone all in on the pun and went with “Much ado about putting”.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

A quick Google search tells me the writer of the letter has a master’s degree in peace studies. Odd then that he could be so tone deaf as to what concessions unionists might welcome.

’I would suggest that most in Ireland have thought about it and have decided that they quite like the current direction of travel in the South: active membership of the EU and UN, forthright support for international law and the Belfast Agreement, rapid development of infrastructure and the economy, and a gradual movement towards a more open, tolerant, inclusive society sensitive to the needs of the less fortunate … Unionists are welcome to join us, but they will be joining Ireland, not some lesser version and imitation of a bygone Britain.‘

He seems to think that when people talk about making overtures to unionists they intend some sort of illiberal turn for Ireland. Talk about a straw man.

Quite an inspired letter in today's Irish Examiner. It must be hard to get published when you have competition like this. But seriously who wrote this, was it a small child or what, I think if they're short of letters they should just not fill up the space anymore or ask for people to send in more.

People pay big money to get adverts in national newspapers, in theory it should be a great way to spread your message and viewpoints for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's as if they had this big bit of white space on the page due to some sort of glitch that they needed to fill and a few in the office came up with this and stuck it in with a fictitious name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Maybe he asked Chat GPT to write it ...

.. eerily impressive at a superficial level

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do normal people still read the Irish Times?

I thought it was just civil servants and the sort of toolbox who votes in Seanad Elelctions.

That's actually incredible. Seems like the end of compulsory homework other than writing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭purifol0

Sadly the Irish Times letters is no longer an outlet for the vain who want to have their opinion stand out amongst the others in the comment, since the IT removed the comment section. Thus providing their paying customers no other option to but the absolutely antiquated "letters page".

Removal of the comment section is undoubetdly bad for business in the sense of having more paid subscribers, but if you realise that the IT is more useful as a mouthpiece of those with power, the removal of any questioning or critique of the narrative, then it was inevitable.

Many times I have seen opinion pieces by members of the establishment & vested interests get comprehensively torn asunder in the comments. Big shout out to Fin Facts for crunching numbers when needed.

Indeed these opinion piece writers would not dare comment below the line themselves, instead linking their published piece to the IT from their Twitter where they would engage in a back slapping session with those that are friendly or financially linked to them, and block anyone else.

Unlike other comment sections which are filled with the stupid, the uninformed and the down right abusive, locking comments to paid subscribers meant the IT had a higher standard, and yes it did need moderation and some censorship but otherwise it provided the masses with much needed discussion on what "opinion" they were presented with, often by people they pay taxes to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's not written by a human. In this case, it's as good as the real thing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have 2 gripes (at least for starters)

1. Some people have letters publiched practically every week, and they are not necessarily all that good. Whats the record for the number in a week from one individual?
    2. Letters signed by anything from 5 to 55 of the "great and the good", usually of a leftish persuasion. The last dreadful one was a call of a ceasfire in Ukraine, with very little appreciation of the grom realities attaching to this.
    Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Christ not this nonsense again. There's a whole thread about this somewhere. Those comments sections were full of cranks and weirdos peddling absolute guff. They are absolutely no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nobody really knows. The IT used to sell about 100K copies a day back about ten years ago. It was struggling to sell around 50K a day before COVID. The IT is just a provincial viewspaper with delusions of grandeur. Fewer people buy a daily newspaper these days. As for the Letters page, it is just people trying to get the equivalent of a pat on the head from the mediocrity.

Regards...jmcc

Bahaha. Yes there were indeed a few eccentric posters, but more often that not, real people with real experience put their own name to the comments which outright refuted the central point of the "opinion" and h kindly backed it up with hyperlinked references.

But if you think the vested interests pumping out unchecked lies and propaganda is betterthis way. Well then you're welcome to your opinion...on boards.ie of course, not the IT you don't get to talk back to your betters there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Has the Irish Times ever cancelled a readers subscripton because of a letter expressing unapproved opinions?

• Advertisement

You don't need a subscription to send them a letter.

An unapproved opinion just wouldn't get published. You can send them as many letters as you want, they're not under any obligation to print them

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Hope I can just piggyback onto this thread to say I always find it strange that the IT can put up the price of its paper without making any comment on it.

The Saturday edition went up 20 cents not a huge amount tbf but always think it's strange that they never announce any change in the price.

Eh its the same with most goods and services, if the price went down they'd make a song and dance about it. The few times you'll get informed of an upward price change is if you already have a contract with them, eg monthly bill, or the state has regulated them into informing you.

One of the clumsiest letters in a while…

Sir, – Surely we should be able to produce a more inclusive definition beyond what is outlined in the Constitution as the marital family other than to encompass a catch-all phrase “other durable, committed relationships”, which concept may rightly reside in the hearts and minds of individuals as they see fit. The proposed amendment is not on a very durable footing on which to ask the people to vote Yes, and for that reason I am out. – Yours, etc

Interesting that for a page which is dominated by leftish, feminist viewpoints on many matters, the reaction to the proposed constitutional amendment on "women in the home" is overwhelmingly negative. For the past week there are one or two letters supporting "yes" and about a dozen supporting "no", most of them from women.

It says something about how out of touch the Government is, when Irish Times readers give such a thumbs down to what is supposed to be a "progressive" measure.

Tom Hickey, a law lecturer in DCU, had an exceptionally long letter published on Wednesday about the question of ‘durable relationships’ in the Constitution, running to 900 words.

The following day, someone wrote a short, wry letter saying that Hickey disregards the possibility of a casual throuple being given constitutional protection, but what about a ‘durable’ throuple?

Today Hickey has been given a further 500 words to answer that question.

The Irish Times is often guilty of that. If the correspondent has an academic title, the editors of the letters page will wave it on through, regardless of length and interest (and sometimes, even, style). I have zero interest in seeing an academic defending his position in a follow-up letter because he wasn’t careful enough in his wording the first time.

The IT should have asked Hickey to write an op ed piece instead of dominating the letters page. Given some of the rubbish op ed pieces, it would be an additional benefit if Hickey displaced one of them.

Also the guidelines for letter writers used to caution against excessive length. If these guidelines still apply, maybe the Letters Editor should read them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was once talking to the letters ed of the Irish times, he was saying it could be feast or famine with what they had to hand to publish. Mentioned something along the lines of 'if you thought that one was bad, you should see the ones we didn't publish, best of a bad lot'.

Yeah, exactly. And a ‘distinguished’ figure desperate for an op-ed but reduced to expressing himself in the letters page looks a bit pathetic.

What in God’s name was he thinking when he pressed send on 900 words? The self-importance! I wonder did he expect to swing the national mood?!

Interesting. I wouldn’t want to be on duty on a bad day. I would say though that I’ve had two or three letters go unpublished that were short (objectively true) and incisive and well-written (subjective!). Each time I was astonished at what was published in their place. One of them regarding Metrolink I posted to the transport forum here, where it received praised.

I would also think that many letters they receive are not ‘time sensitive’. Someone complaining about dog-fouling in the local park, or whatever, could be published months later, in theory. Maybe that does actually happen, but I think the paper could do a better job of maintaining a standard and rewarding people who go to the effort of writing.

• Advertisement

Deleted

Advertisement