Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 23/24:season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

It's all speculation so far but -

• Terry Stotts suddenly walking away from the Bucks as an assistant at the start of the year. Rumours of spat with Griffin. Stotts is close with Dame after ten years coaching him but also friends off the court. Not impying it was Dame that got Griffin sacked, it could only have come from Giannis. But not a good look to fall out with the close assistant of your brand new point guard
    • As Hole in the Wall mentioned, Giannis body language with Griffin very early in the season. Also rumours Giannis changed a play that Griffin called.
    • The weirdest part of this whole thing is that Doc Rivers has been acting as a consultant to Griffin for some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can’t be a coach in the modern NBA if you can’t establish strong working relationships with the elite stars. It’s a player driven league, good move for the Bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Luka with a crazy night ! Probably recency bias but seems to be tons more high scoring individual games theses days, obviously how the game is played and refereed is a big factor, not a huge fan of it to be honest, some of them seem very meh which is a weird thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

4 70+ point games this year when before that there were only 6 in history, it's a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'd argue it's terrible for the NBA as a whole as it just gives credence to the argument that the regular season is a bit of a joke and just a mess around with no real intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Embiid misses his fourth consecutive game in Denver. Perhaps its bad luck but there's a whiff of him pulling a sicky with all these absences

Fun battle between LeBron and Curry there tonight! Some game in general, back and forth the whole way.

I agree things have changed and the perceptions are bad, but I don’t think the general narrative on why it is happening is correct.

A lot of the problems are around the realisation of the power of 3 pointers and spacing. When Kobe went for 82 in 2006 teams averaged 91 possessions per game and 106 points. They now cram in 99 possessions for 116.36 points. This isn’t merely a lack of effort defensively, it’s just way harder to defend effectively. Teams definitely contest harder in the playoffs, but the physical effort required is intense, and the adjustments involved more complex.

There’s also a huge element of randomness to how individual games can play out. Teams can just go hot from 3. Miami had their best shooting stretch of the season last year in the playoffs against the Bucks and Celtics (34.4% in reg season; 45% against Milwaukee and 43.4% against Boston; even with Herro out - their best reg season shooter), and we were denied an epic finals. Boston conversely went cold against the Bucks shooting 30.3% as a normal 37.7% team.

Which is to say, this isn’t a simple matter of olds moaning about how “soft” the game has become. We aren’t seeing players be softer, we are instead seeing offenses that are way better constructed than 20 years ago and an increasing homogenisation of style / player personnel. Unless there is structural change around rules or the relevant value of buckets inside and outside the arc, get used to it. All about that jump shot baby.

really good overview of how we got here. This season is a consequence of rule changes and the perfection of how to play within them; which were a consequence of the low tv ratings and interest levels of the prison ball of the early 2000s.

But it’s not as simple as being nostalgic for earlier eras and labelling everyone as “soft”. The rules will dictate what we see, the league needs to make a choice.

The players are obviously more skillful today and there are a lot more 3 pointers being taken and offenses are faster paces and get more shots off and Doncic's shooting numbers were off the charts the other night but when you see that the Boston Celtics game on TNT during the week was beaten by a womens college basketball game in the ratings it's evidence of how little interest there appears to be generally in the regular season. When players are continually getting plus 50 point games it takes way the novelty factor and makes it seem like a less spectacular achievement.Also the players and teams at times display complete indifference around the regular season by continually having players resting and if the teams themselves seem to not care about the regular season why should the fans.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Advertisement

Again, I agree there is a problem here. But I do think we have to get beyond the narratives a bit to understand the right fix.

The NBA increased the minimum amount of games for All NBA selection and introduced the in season tournament, to try and address the issues with taking nights off and lack of effort early in the season. Stars are definitely playing more this year.

Obviously defense is less intense in regular season compared to playoffs, and some of this is effort. But a lot of it is coaching adjustments, fan environment and referee discretion aswell.

The BIG issue with the regular season imo is more the increasing parity in the league and lack of differentiation. If you chart regular season win percentages of recent seasons versus 20 or even 10 years ago, there are fewer games separating 3 - 10 in each conference. This is a symptom of teams being similarly constructed with the same play style, allied to the local game to game variance of whether shots are falling or not.

That is to say part of what we are seeing is not necessarily lack of effort, but an increasing difficulty of all but a handful of teams to meaningfully separate. And this robs the regular season of more distilled and compelling narratives. Particularly in the West this year, we have a big blob of teams who could feasibly win a playoff series battling across 5th - 12th. It’s really hard to care in this context on a game to game level imo.

This season he's rested for Jokic in Denver, KAT/Gobert in Minnesota, Bam in Miami, and Porzingis in Boston.

Real flat track bully feel to Embiid in general, when you consider him deciding to play for USA in the Olympics aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭BQQ

No place to hide in the playoffs

will be the same old story, but His MVP will keep him warm at night

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Add on all his embarrassing flops leading to his inflated points with freethrows, my most least liked player in the whole of the NBA, mvp my hole.

Very tired of the players complaining about the 65 game rule.

How they can be this indignant about a rule that just states they need to play min 80% of their games to get the biggest rewards and salary increases is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

https://twitter.com/DavidPingalore/status/1753182060364386308 would break the internet if true. This guy seems to have a lot of credibility as well.

Where would he go? What would a deal even look like?

Compelling all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hes apparently broken every move of James to date.

Christ knows who or how any team could actually pull off a trade.

I haven’t seen anyone propose a trade outline that seems remotely viable

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I thought it was a fairly luke-warm take to be honest. The injury he has now isn't even the same injury he was out with previously, according to Nick Nurse.

I just think this thread is on the wrong side of this one. Forcing players to stretch to play 65 games so they can be All NBA is inevitably going to increase injuries. Like it or lump it, but if the season is 82 games long each individual game doesn’t matter in isolation. Particularly for good teams and particularly late in the regular season.

It’s not even logical anyway. 60 games of Embiid is more valuable than 75 games of Sabonis, and more deserving of All NBA status. Fans and traditionalists in the media who know it’s a popular position with fans endlessly harp on about players missing games but they aren’t going to win here. The right solution is less games, but the NBA won’t do that for obvious financial reasons.

I fully expect the 65 game cutoff to be dropped next year. We want stars rested and healthy for the playoffs more than we want them playing back to backs on a Tuesday in February, in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lavine getting surgery and out the rest of the season. I have to say, this made me chuckle.

Jokic has never played less than 69 games in his entire NBA career, LeBron fror the first 16 years of his career only played less than 65 games twice, (obviously since turning 35 years old he hasn't met that the last few years). Mikal Bridges hasn't missed an NBA game since being drafted and managed 83 last year.

Expecting players to actually make it to the court to be considered for awards isn't revolutionary.

The league is a lot smarter than it was even a decade ago, and light years ahead of where it was 20 years ago. If teams and players are managing load better, it’s because they are more driven by the data now than in the past.

The other side of the equation is that - if we truly have so few elite seasons below the 65 game threshold - then why institute the rule? The likely second order effect is pushing players on the edge to play through injury and / or a more deserving player losing out on accolades that affect bonuses and legacy, etc.

Your article tells me it wasn’t really an issue in terms of elite seasons. Fans and the current network media landscape can be ‘old men yelling at clouds’ all they like about this stuff, but regular 82 game seasons for elite stars are unlikely to come back.

Then the "elite" stars need to shut up whining about being made play, and actually play at an elite level.

The article shows that not playing has generally not got rewarded anyway. So the "more deserving" shtick is moot. They can keep not playing if they want just dont whine about players that do play being rewarded for actually playing.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, more ‘players are soft’ traditionalism. As I say, reckon this one is quietly dropped next offseason but we’ll see.

Advertisement