Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,512 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,512 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well Netflix have an option to end the deal after five years or extend it by ten, so seems Netflix aren’t tied to the full ten years, which seems smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The might be wishing that as twelve months instead of five years if this doesn't work out.

Cancelling stuff like 1899 and Inside Job only to give 5bil to the WWE...?? Nah, thanks.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably smart business by Netflix... all their other stuff is content people can join up for short term and then cancel - this will get longstanding week-to-week, year-to-year commitments from a fairly substantial global market who love WWE. In the context of some of the huge budget things Netflix have green-lit, none of which anyone will have been specifically signing up for, it's probably a smarter use of money.

In general, in a world of people increasingly bouncing between streamers throughout the year, sports rights are going to be huge for maintaining a solid base of subscriptions over the long term.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm 3 episodes in to Boy Swallows Universe and they've made a pretty big change from the book by the looks of things. Probably 2 big changes actually, and they're both most likely for the better. Really enjoying it so far, the whole cast are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched 4 right after I posted that. It won't matter to anyone who hasn't read it but I have to say it's really nailing the most important bits and the overall emotional heart of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DexterMorgansGhost

Could be interesting in some homes if lads start inviting their girls over for a bit of Raw Netflix and Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can see Netflix going after more sports rights & launching Sports add-on tier to pay for WWE, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah I was very surprised they didn't go for F1 after the success of Drive to Survive.

Netflix has hands down won the streaming wars so I have no doubt more sports will be on the agenda for them over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Six Nations documentary out sometime today too I believe..

Could be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Zero interest in full-contact pantomime, but that sounds about right.

Also true. Unfortunately, "It's just business" - as any mobster, pantomime or other, might say, after being shown the projected income spreadsheets.

On netflix today.

Brad Pitt and Daniel Radcliffe surprisingly funny in this.

Enjoyable family comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished Boy Eats Universe the other evening, enjoyed it but the ending was disappointing, but considering its from a book that's not hugely surprising.

Once we flashed forward it lost some of its lustre because the young fella playing Eli was just superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Does the boy get less annoying? Found he a bit far fetched, bit too clever for his age....

Post edited by LilacNails on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have to agree with you there. No real ending either, just looks like the cast all got pissed off and went home early.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Finished it myself tonight. The ending is mostly the same as the book, although they did change some things.

Titus is supposed to be much older and he features more in the book. His secret underground stuff was still a bit out there when I read it, but it was built up to better. There was no reveal of what happened to Lyle until Eli finds his head. Ivan is also supposed to be older and more silently menacing, I think. No motorbike and when he stabs Eli its done with much less fuss, nobody knows it's happened and Robert doesn't get stabbed.

I agree about the ageing up kind of killing the pace a bit. Some of the stuff little Eli does is meant to be done by older Eli, I think. Like selling Lyle's stash to Darren.

Gus's seeing the future isn't played up as much in the book either, it and the red phone are explained by the school councilor when she comes to talk to Robert. She says it's a trauma response and the boys need to make sense of all the trauma they've experienced. That's how she gets him to tell her about the car accident. It's a really great scene in the book and I was disappointed they left it out, or the explanation part anyway. Robert has more time with the boys too and he slowly gets over his agoraphobia for them while he's looking after them. I didn't think they did as good a job with him as the book did, bit overall the family bits were definitely better than the crime stuff.

There's a few other things they changed, Slim is more important in the book, Shelly dies at some point, there's this whole central theme where Eli is questioning if any of the men in his life are good people, and it ties in with the social situation in Brisbane at the time, immigration and heroin wars and corruption in the police, government etc. I guess there's only so much you can do with a TV show compared to a book.

I still enjoyed it though, and the first few episodes are some of the best TV I've seen on Netflix for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

Watching Six Nations. Pretty decent with focus in certain players.

Not so keen on some of the restrospective commentary which feels false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

American Nightmare. Oh. My. Good. God. It’s just an amazing story and I highly recommend it. I can say nothing about it without giving away anything that happened. Suffice it to say, if you like documentaries and you like true crime, then this is 100% for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Caquas

This is what Netflix does best - head-spinning true crime documentary.

It’s compulsory binge-watching because the twists in the story keep coming. As always with such stories, I am left with some questions but not the sort of “back where we started” feeling I got e.g. from the various documentaries about Sophie Toscan du Plantier. This was a very fascinating story told with style and pacing where each revelation brings the story closer to resolution.

Mostly its great (like American Nightmare) sometimes its not so great like Netflix's Sophie Toscan du Plantier docuseries. The Sky version in that case was much better imo. Agreed Netflix overall does great true crime. Much better than tripe like Red Notice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Netflix has scrapped another production: the Halle Berry starring SciFi vehicle that was stuck in multiple rounds of post production.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's been on and off for a while but I'd recommend Knuckle for anyone that hasn't seen it.

An intriguing story about bare knuckle boxer James McDonagh Quinn and the traveller feud between the McDonagh/Quinns and the Nevins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I watched this, mostly because i refused to believe it would be as bad as you had indicated given the trailer. I went in with low expectations and even at that i found myself pausing it twice to see how long was left and wondering if I had the heart to continue.

A big disappointment, so many different avenues for a story given the setting but it was a poor 2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Caquas

The most powerful drama I’ve seen on Netflix. Based on a true story of heroic endurance and comradeship. Sticks closely to the facts and the actors are wonderful. Prepare for a gruelling couple of hours viewing and don’t book any flights until you get the crash scene out of your head.

Here’s some tips for Netflix- buy the rights to the best books on true-life dramas. Fire any writer on the spot if they try to get “creative” with the storyline. Hire the best “unknown” actors i.e. who don’t have millions of Insta followers.

https://youtu.be/pDak4qLyF4Q?si=PXkgJEc4X47qOuRp

Post edited by Caquas on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still kinda surprised nobody has picked up this idea again for another go: it's a cracking set up and one you can tell without necessarily stepping on the toes of the prior version.

@Tony EH I'm so sorry, I feel like I jinxed it from our chat not that long ago. This new remake looks kinda terrible and has dispensed with any of the character or world-building from the prior two films. Probably just as well Friedkin died before this trailer came out 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,962 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Advertisement