Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel personally responsible for willing this into the world 🤭

It just looks so bad, so braindead; not like you can't just have an action-focused version of the concept but this looks particularly nonsensical. And dunno why but giving the characters guns kinda feels like a cheat. The whole concept worked in both prior films because the men had nothing except their driving skills and SFA else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even if the film was a grittier, more pared-back affair, there’s an argument that The Wages of Fear / Sorcerer simply don’t work when relocated to a modern context, where technology has evolved to the point where the basic premise seems increasingly ridiculous. It’d almost have to be a period piece. Which just leads back to there being two extremely well made - dare I say classic / canonical - films based on the material - either of which anyone would be better off watching than an over-polished nothingburger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I can swing both ways on this whole trope of "oh you couldn't have that story in the modern day, 'cos of smart-phones" argument; 'cos it doesn't take that writing to jettison those, satellites or whatever undercuts the key concept. Indeed even the previous films had to, with intentional lines noting how they couldn't use helicopters, something that would have rendered Roy Scheider's stressful days work unnecessary.

Heck, a remake doesn't even need to be about transporting explosives; I'm sure you could re-tell the basic story swapping explosives for a wedding cake and still be able to mine as much tension ... sure wasn't Speed 3 about a milk float after all? 🤣 None of that is to say this remake looks good, or I'm even giving it the slimmest chance 'cos it looks like áss.

Now, as for other movies, who knew Charlie Kaufman had written a kids movie? Cos I didn't! It's supposedly on Netflix feb 2 but not sure if that's just america and what the Irish release looks like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think it’s impossible by any stretch, just seems to me the premise becomes more stretched in a deeply interconnected world with all kinds of basic safety technology now the norm. Not to say there aren’t extremely dangerous journeys / parts of the world or anything like that, but I dunno just feels like you’d need more and more caveats these days. Sorcerer gets away with it despite it also requiring a suspension of disbelief as the film’s so relentlessly cynical. Those guys are so ‘expendable’ in the view of their wealthy bosses (who do fly in by helicopter at one point IIRC?) that the outrageously dangerous mission they’re sent on is clearly just to save a few quid. That could be replicated in a modern day take, but not sure any modern director would nail that brutal cynicism the way Friedkin did. Either way, agreed this film looks like utter crap.

As for the Kaufman film, he briefly mentioned it when he visited Dublin last year. IIRC he mentioned he was fairly hands off with the project - in that he submitted it ages ago and other people went off and made a film out of it after a while. Still, very interested to see how his unique writing sensibilities translate - or don’t, as the case may be - to more mainstream fare. Reviews seem to be generally positive, which is encouraging, with the suggestion there’s definitely at least some Kaufman flourishes to separate it from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh my god American Nightmare is fecking mental, that's all I can say, a must watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I feel personally responsible for willing this into the world

Our lawyers will call your lawyer in the morning.

Seriously though, it looks like absolute trash...and not in an entertaining way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Caquas

The “making of” documentary is also well worth your half-hour after watching this movie.

I’m not usually a fan of this kind of thing but this documentary has two big attractions- the creation of the special effects was spectacular (no green screen) and the cast are infectiously enthusiastic about their gruelling roles, including a starvation diet so their bodies were suitably emaciated for the final scenes. No Hollywood prima Donna carry-on. This was real teamwork, as it should be for the real life story which this movie told.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81755382?s=i&trkid=253448517&vlang=en&clip=81757677

• Registered Users Posts: 60,451 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Preview of whats coming in 2024.

Including first look at Squid Game season 2

Trailer for Code 8 Part 2

Drops Feb 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Past lives coming on the 15th

really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I was a bit underwhelmed by it after all the hype. Wholly interesting story that is really messed up but comparing it to the likes of Tiger King, Making a Murderer and Don’t F with Cats I feel it didn’t drop my jaw too far. It all seemed very real whereas the others were so mental they seemed fictional.

The twists and turns in AN didn’t have much of a reveal and I feel many aspects were under explored I.e The cops, the media’s view and possibly corruption.

That said, it’s worth a watch. Easy two-three hours arc.

Post edited by ShagNastii on

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have to agree re: hype for American Nightmare.

The joke of a legal system in the States is well documented at this stage.

They got a horrible time of it.. don't get me wrong.. but I'd say similar things happen in small towns over there - e.g high school football scumbags sexually abusing girls - that aren't even documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If you want to see a doc in that area roll red roll is excellent if grim and on Amazon prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭jj880

The Greatest Night in Pop was a good watch.

It really showed Prince up as a dick.

Also good to see Geldof get the recognition for it as well as I think that's sometimes its forgotten when it comes to the American side of Live Aid and the songs that none of it would have happened without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Griselda is very very good.

Based on the true story of Griselda Blanco who was a Columbian drug long. If you liked Narcos you should enjoy this one. Limited series, 6 episodes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,867 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

This was on Netflix too if I remember correctly. I remember watching it a year or two back. Agree with it being grim .

When I hear about prince I always think of Sinead OConnors supposed nickname for him...ol fluffy cuffs...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Agreed. It was a good watch but nothing too bizarre or shocking. And I would add in Kai the hatchet wielding hitchhiker documentary as another that was more crazy than this.

Prince is like a dark cloud in that studio.

In "Remembering", Sinead recounted her only meeting with him, when she visited his house in L.A. . Was he grateful (or even impressed) that she had made one of his songs a mega-hit? No, he was so creepy and manipulative, she literally ran out the front door, scrambled down the canyon and ran to the nearest house with Prince in hot pursuit.

Amazing Prince escaped the Me-Too moment while Michael Jackson was destroyed by unproven allegations. Prince is overdue a tell-all biography but the people who know his darkest secrets have too much to lose.

• Advertisement

"The Trust" is the best unscripted show I've seen. I'm not a fan of "Big Brother"-style reality TV but this is different.

The Trust has a familiar set-up - diverse group of 11 people (with a few models/hunks) are brought to a sea-side mansion with an infinity pool. But The Trust flips the usual script. Instead of the prize going to the last contestant standing, and the inevitable "I'm not here to make friends", these contestants are told they will share a "trust fund" of $250,000 equally. The catch is that they can vote anyone out of the house and even a single vote is enough. At the start, everyone declares they are "a family" but soon the double-dealing and backstabbing starts. The contestants face real moral issues about honesty, trust, wealth, inequality, selfishness, generosity.

Trigger warning - very binge-able.

The Trust: A Game of Greed | Official Trailer | Netflix - YouTubewww.youtube.com › watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭fabsoul

"King Richard"

Armed with a clear vision, Richard Williams guides his extraordinarily talented daughters, Venus and Serena, on their journey to tennis superstardom.

Starring:Will Smith,Aunjanue Ellis,Saniyya Sidney

really enjoyed it!

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81039550?s=a&trkid=13747225&trg=more&vlang=en&clip=81633535 

If you think The Trust is good, wait until you see The Traitors on BBC. The Trust is the dodgy euro-store knock-off of The Traitors.

Nothing dodgy, cheap or knock-off about “The Trust”. It is genuinely original and, if anything, a bit too glitzy, which may distract from the real life economic hardships of many participants.

The BBC show (a copy of the Dutch “Verradars”) has a very different premise - a secret cabal of “traitors” knocking out the “Faithfuls” with the aim of taking the prize. The Trust is the opposite - everyone is invited to cooperate and share the prize. Cliques and cabals form and dissolve but they do so spontaneously among the players so it is much more interesting morally i.e. everyone is free to cooperate or betray. It is an elaborate form of the Prisoners Dilemma - everyone can win if they cooperate but an individual might gain more by betrayal..

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched it, very good. thought the police did an ok job. it was more the townsfolk that were the scarier aspect to it. very light sentences, but still a criminal conviction to follow them for ever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

ONE DAY released on Netflix today. I adore the book. The movie a few years ago was so so. Hope the series doesn't go too hammy with the two mains.

Will check it out tonight.

On Netflix Saturday.

A rare movie that has it all. Sucks you in, makes you care about the characters with love, comedy, heartbreak, friendship, family and more. Cant recommend enough.

I wasn't a huge fan, definition of a white saviour story, full of stereotypes, also there seems to be a lot of doubt over how truthful it is to the real story. Ali was very good but it was a poor best picture winner imo in an admittedly not vintage year.

Plenty of articles wrote about it.

I have to admit I didn't read anything related to accuracy or how family members reacted to portrayals. I just saw the trailer and watched it. My opinion is based on that alone. Its an enjoyable movie for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Thought the movie was grand, pretty watchable. Couldn't believe it won Oscar for best picture though.

Advertisement