Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

Big chance to get Rohit early.

Australia still need 25 with one wicket remaining.

Jaiswel goes. India 42/1.

Now Gill 42/2...Pope taken two catches, some day he's having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

West indies win by 8 runs

• Advertisement

Big win for the WI! 7 wickets for Shamar Joseph.

Shock as Rohit Sharma gets 30 and gets out. Did it loads in the world cup and in the first innings here. Slogs it away a lot in ODIs, he's unfit and gets tired after an hour. India are a joke, a billion of them and 800 million of them play cricket, and they still messed up the world cup final at home, and they are chucking this away as well. Can't play in England or New Zealand either against decent seam bowling. Gill especially looks like a dead loss. All these fellas pad their stats at home to Bangladesh, but they are not up to much. That Prithvi Shaw should be in this team unless he's injured, he's a class player

What are India doing, from complete control to allow a match be wrestled away by Pope who is a decent batsman and a spinner on debut...

India have watched England score at will in their second innings, a guy make nearly 200 and they are currently 7 down with just over 100 on the board. It's a terrible performance by India, England have really grabbed the initiative since yesterday and generally never let up. Hard to see England not winning from here.

This is really good by Ashwin and Bharat, they came together when England had all the momentum and they've steadied the ship. Still a long way to go for them but they've shown the top order up.

• Advertisement

Ashwin didn't need to do that.

Great win for England with some excellent performances but India were shocking in the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Match over, final over of the day and Siraj comes flying down the pitch and fresh airs. Incredible turn around by England. Didn’t give them a prayer at the end of day two. Sets up the series beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,105 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wow... I didn't see that coming, young Rehan with a 7 wicket haul 🍾

Not one single half century from an Indian batsman in that second innings... there will be some post mortem in their dressing room and media of course....

Series set up brilliantly now... advantage England.... could be a classic series. First test had everything....

Delighted for the Indian lot really, you saw at the end the 12th man on with drinks and towels trying to eat up time and overs.... no time for that slithery carry on.... got what was coming to them. 👌

Young Rehan took 0/33. Hartley got 7 after everyone on this wrote him off. What exactly does Jack Leach do? He's Monty Panesar without the anger issues

Sorry yes I was half asleep posting 👀🙈 Hartey indeed.

Leach seems to get a lot of love in the camp... must be popular behind the scenes... its a weird one.

Be interesting to see what direction India go with the pitches. England went one nil up last time but that was a classic Indian flat pitch that turned big later on. Toss decided that. Rest of the pitches were dustbowls after. This time England won on a spinning pitch and looked comfortable against all their spinners.

So was I most of the time, not a very sociable hour. I didn't watch much of England and India, watched a lot of West Indies Australia, that was really good. Smith batted very well, Shamar Joseph bowled quickly, and Alzarri Joseph stuck at it. They deserved it, first test win in Australia since 1997. There were exactly 1000 runs scored in the West Indies Australia test. India relaxed with the big lead and paid for it, Pope was unbelievable, to play that well for that amount of time, they looked in bits after Root and Stokes were dismissed, Ahmed and Hartley supported him well, and Mark Wood should probably have tried to hit a few, he poked around and got a duck, but it's hard to play like that when the batsman at the other end is 190 not out. Rohit slogged his wicket away in the first innings, and was dismissed at a crucial time in the second.

Ravindra Jadeja being reported by India Today & NDTV in India as well as other outlets as very doubtful for this weeks test….in fact ‘could’ miss the remainder of the series….

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

• Advertisement

Dangerous game being overly critical of this England team mid game. Its caught out enough experts who are paid to give their opinions nevermind casual fans on boards. Hallmark of them since Stokes took over is finding ways to get back into games from seemingly impossible situations. Third innings it's like the opposition freeze and before you know it they're back on top.

Proud of myself for not going overboard on Hartley after day one, said it met a rampant Jaiswal but bowled alright to the right handers. Pope surprised me, call it 1-1 after his first innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dohboy

Fella just hates Stokes/England. Was at the same craic during the Ashes.

Nothing could be further from the truth… so maybe desist from disingenuous lies / claims as above :) I’m hopeful that England win this series…and I don’t hate any cricket team so…. I am a Ben Stokes fan, he makes some head scratching captaincy call in my opinion. Some that in my view went towards costing England the Ashes…

my prediction wasn’t correct in this test but not an unreasonable one when it was made, the bookies and indeed many cricket commentators at one point agreed with me…

Ganguly one of the greats predicted in the Hindu Times 4-0 or 5-0 to India…. One of the greatest cricketers and captains, but yes, he predicted wrong too !

He also hates Irish cricket, the women in particular. Not sure why he watches the game to be honest!

Not sure Stokes would want someone like you as a fan. Read your comments back, far from being a prediction they were just an outburst against the English management, captaincy and players and this before the game was even finished! Possibly the only more deranged outburst last week was by Rodney Hogg in his comments about the West Indies cricket team.

Yep, and nothing indicates that I hate stokes, I criticised him ;) .. you are being incredibly disingenuous with people here, sorry. 😬

Big team news today is that Ravi Jadeja and KL Rahul will miss the second match. Safaraz Khan added to the squad. His record in first class cricket is incredible averaging 69.8 so a long overdue call up. Washington Sundar would be the closest to Jadeja but they have Kuldeep too. Both might play and drop Siraj who didn't bowl a lot.

So they’ll be without Kohli, Jadeja and Rahul…that’s more or less the spine of their middle order batting…. Unreal luck for England…

with a bit of luck they’ll get to take advantage

Bharat is pretty inexperienced, this will be his 6th or 7th test. He’s yet to perform with the bat… hasn’t scored a half century as yet…. His first class career isn’t exactly full of runs either.

It's a pity the WI win in Brisbane isn't getting the attention of the England victory, I knew it had been a while, but I didn't realise 1997 was their last test victory in Australia, and given where Test Cricket has fallen in the WI, their victory was exceptional. 20 tests in 20 years, 16 defeats and 4 draws. Shamar Joseph was excellent, let's hope he continues to deliver.

England did well, with huge performances from Pope and Hartley in particular, notably from the position they found themselves in on day 2, but in some of the narratives around the game you'd swear England were a plucky underdog in a David v Goliath contest - in reality, it was the second-best Test team versus the 3rd best (I accept the WTC doesn't currently reflect this - but we know there are flaws in that system). I think most would accept that Aus/India and England are the top 3 test teams, possibly with NZ just behind.

Interesting to see how India responds, they will want to hit back hard, the injuries are a problem, though perhaps some fresh faces may be a positive too. Will England bring in Anderson?

• Advertisement

Anderson question is interesting. He’s 42 in the summer…. Every day of this 2nd test the high temperature is forecasted to be either 30°/31° with the ‘real feel’ forecasted to be a couple of degrees hotter… it’s going to be an absolute dead stifling heat, although the forecasted wind has now increased from earlier.

he will be more then likely gassed after 4 overs bowling in that. Tricky one. Maybe they gamble with 4 over spells x 3…. Start of the day, after lunch and after tea…. Go with an ultra attacking field and see what happens…

a pitch report from an Indian source…

The pitches at the Dr. Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA–VDCA Cricket Stadium in Visakhapatnam, just like most Test pitches in India, are generally very good for the batters in the first half of the match before spinners have their say. The average first innings score at this venue in Tests is 478, which both India and England will be targeting during their first innings to bat the opposition out of the contest.

Sounds like the winning of the toss will be extremely important here.

Advertisement