Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOMO €15 plan now includes 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,751 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd agree with this. Most of the time 4G is fine for me but anytime I have a problem, it's because I'm getting no or limited data coverage anyway.

I won't be moving from the 9.99 plan as I said previously, but especially not after reading some of the experiences from some on this 'better/faster/shinier' 5G.

I think it'll be standard soon enough for all. Vodafone tried charging for it separately too if I remember right, but eventually rolled it in as standard because of limited take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Pretty much the same for me, I've two of the €9.99 SIMS. One in my phone & one in a router. I might be tempted to try 5G in the router if a 5G version wasn't so pricey. My phone is a Pixel 6 on which Google in their wisdom have chosen not to support Eir's 5G network so a moot point.

The Pixel 7 works I believe from what I've read on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Did you notice any restrictions with the SIM in your router or is it plain sailing (beside the Fair usage cap)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've been using a €12.99 SIM in my parents router for about a year. Getting an almost consistent 40/40 down/up which for their area is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I have a €9.99 GoMo SIM in my router from day dot/the start of when GoMo entered the market (2019). I never have any issues streaming Netflix, Apple TV+, YouTube etc. when I use mine. 100% as per my bills I regularly go away over the 120GB cap and it never changes my ability to stream all of the above. I will not be upgrading either of my €9.99 plans (have another SIM in my iPhone) to get 5G.

Cheers,

M

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks was going to post similar. Nerd moment.

If I remember correctly, EDGE (2.75G) was upto 130Kbps, 3G was upto 300Kbps, H (3.5G), was upto 7Mbps, H+ (3.75G) was upto 42Mbps and then onto 4G.

Biggest challenges were frequency distances. 2G far better distance than 3G, 3G (sort of) better distances than 4G. The higher the G, the higher the frequency, travels further but can carry less data.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I'm finding out there's not much 5g in west Cork towns despite there being 5g cells . It cuts in and out. I have 2 types of 5g logo appear on my phone one is a white box with 5g in clear inside. That has high speeds .When I have a clear box with 5g in white typo it's slow like 4g. 4g symbol no longer appears on my phone. Just 5g H and E. The second pic shows symbol that seems to be true 5g. The first and third picture shows symbol which seems to be just 4g speeds. Anyone have any info on this.

Post edited by vince on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

None whatsoever, I check the SMS messages received on the router maybe once a year & have seen one or two on there about reaching 80% of the fair usages. It's fair to say I wouldn't be a heavy user based on these stats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I signed up for this, haven't managed to get a 5g out and about in south Dublin yet but the 4g is pretty good.

One gripe, I asked to keep my old number which they did but the number on my phone (Android, pixel 6) is the number from the sim they sent out, not my actual number. Not an issue so far, my phone rings/receives messages on my old number. Contacted support and their response was 'what's the problem, your phone rings when your number is dialled :)'.

Does anyone know how to change the phone number in the phone settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Same thing is on my GoMo SIM since I got it when it first came out a few years ago.

And checked my settings on my phone now (Redmi) and still down as the 085 GoMo number even though I ported. I had a Pixel also and was the same. It's just the SIM card number of original GoMo SIM prior to port as you get a SIM with a number assigned, not a blank SIM.

Didn't effect me one bit and hasn't troubled me since in any way so never found it an issue TBH. Anytime a number auto filled etc it was my correct number or if phone had to be called/texted to confirm a login etc in an app, no issue.

I did look it up before and you can amend it somehow according to the people of the Internet but I just didn't bother with it. *Had quick look and looks like the trick I saw a few years ago is still active and working for people with same issue. Send 2 SMS's as follows:

setup to 41111

And

SIM to 40001

Google SIM and 40001 to see more info on such. Seems same info now as I looked up back then.

*Tested the above and didn't work, likewise for some here who said same so may only work on certain networks etc. Not too sure. A deep dive into Google may be needed so for an answer.

Post edited by shmeee on

Can’t say for Android but it can be changed on iOS by going to Settings, Phone, My Number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

I have a Samsung phone but I searched for "number" in settings. Then at the very bottom under 'other' I choose the 1st option. I could change it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I tried to send both of those sms...

"not sent, tap to try again"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

I tried the 2 SMS thing but it doesn't send.

I sometimes get people asking me if my number is the GOMO SIM and occasionally when I am using my phone to fill a for online it picks up the GOMO SIM incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Likewise, tried it and same response. Some people get it working, some don't. May depend on your network etc. Ain't too sure. Can be ignored so for GoMo if no one got it working. I'll amend post.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I switched my Mam over to Gomo when it launched, she would be a very light user, doubt she exceeds 2gb of data a month to be honest, anyway, I happen to have her phone with me today as she left it behind and when I was answered it when she rang, I noticed that she has 5G on it, when I said it to her, her response was I was wondering why it changed from 4G to 5G ok :)

She is definitely on the 9.99 plan and her phone is a One Plus 8 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My brother is on the original plan and has a pixel 6a, he says he's getting 5g, but I don't think that's possible as Google don't support eits 5g network on the series 6 phones ... (as far as I'm aware)

My guess is that the 4g+ network is being labeled 5g.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Put the GOMO SIM into an iphone. Unlike Android phones, you can edit the GOMO phone number on the SIM using the iphone. You can then put the SIM back into your android phone and off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 volkswagon1973

Looking at changing from eir sim only plan for router only to gomo as gone up to €32 @ month from €17.Can I do this without needing to get a gomo sim and using my eir account number to change to gomo sim only plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No. Even though it's same company and sane settings, you sign up as if it's a different company.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 volkswagon1973

When I sign up to gomo will eir stop charging and gomo take over the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭larchielads

Anyone know why theres no 5g available from gomo on pixel phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bromley52

In Ireland I believe that Vodafone are the only ones with 5G but also VoLTE + WiFi Calling on the Pixel range of phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭KildareP

• Registered Users Posts: 20 routetoot

I've 2 sims for the teens on the 9.99 plan. Both on iphone 11s. If I ever go to N.Ire or UK or Spain I have major problems getting data. Anyone know what could be causing this ? In Spain can manually select movistar and that can work. In N.I have given up on a solution. Support are unhelpful. Have even replaced one of the sims to no avail. APN used is the official one. Roaming data is enabled.

When you say the official APN, which one exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 routetoot

The APN is: data.myeirmobile.ie. I tried support again (its been a while since I last asked TBF) - they said to try EE or Sure in the North. I'll try again when next up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dcrem

Google store says my phone not compatible, it's a Samsung. Same with my friend . Had an oppo phone. Any suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Got a question. Switched from 48 to GoMo this week, ordered on the 18th, ported my number yesterday (23rd) which was the end of my 48 cycle and so far so good. Nice to have WiFi calling back at home and the data connection is better at work.

How does the billing cycle work? On 48 I had my Revolut card registered to the 48 app and my membership as it's called over there auto renewed every 23rd. My card is registered on GoMo so I just need to know when do I need to make sure there's money in the Revolut account.

Advertisement