Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOMO €15 plan now includes 5G

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

5G popped up for the first time on my phone this morning (I'm on the €15 plan). Did a speed test and it was the first time that the results were good, normally not great with 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Everyone with eSim compatible phone is probably better off just using the Airalo eSIM app

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

22.50 usd for 3gb of data with airalo in uae vs 5gb with gomo at €15.99 🤷‍♂️ not sure that is the way to go for everyone

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

ah fair enough, worth comparing for the specific country you're looking at anyway, theyre reliable and cheap imo (mostly Stateside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I have a 5G phone and im on the OG 9.99 plan and when I've been in Dublin the network has come up as 5g on my phone, and was brutally slow every time

as many others have said 4g is plenty enough for me when im out and about the most mobile data I use is for audio so doesnt take much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kurooi

Is the €15 plan, if upgraded from €10, guaranteed to stay that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

this was done in Germany already. LTE is the way forward apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That's pretty fascinating. I still think of 4G as "new".

Carrier aggregated 4G+ with a good signal can give you great speeds as has been posted on this thread already. 250mbps with a low ping and 120GB data (maybe 600-700GB if I have to tether my PC) is pretty much the max I need, so I don't know what's selling point of 5G to me. But if it's a free add-on/upgrade then sure, why not.

Some people on Reddit have mentioned that 48.ie got 5G upgrade too. They did not have to do anything, 5G just appeared on their phones.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"so I don't know what's selling point of 5G to me. But if it's a free add-on/upgrade then sure, why not.

Some people on Reddit have mentioned that 48.ie got 5G upgrade too. They did not have to do anything, 5G just appeared on their phones."

The main benefit of 5G is actually to the carriers. It is more efficient then 4g (and much more then 3G) so it is actually ceahper for them to deliver data to you on it. Also it increases capacity of the network, which means they can sell more products.

They have been desperate to try and convince people they should pay more for it as a premium service, but it doesn't really directly benefit most people, 4G being more then fast enough for most people (Obviously extra bandwidth benefits everyone indirectly).

BTW Super happy 48 customer, €8 is mad cheap, I get over 350mb/s on 4G and they seem to be upgrading to 5G for free. Deal of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

When 4G was launched it was technically 3.5G but marketing decided it had to be called 4G.

Similar strategy is being deployed now with 5G, from consumers' perspective it's 4G+ which was available a few years ago without all the fanfare.

Gomo Ts and Cs say...

"3.5 Our estimated attainable 5G download speed is 50Mb/s."

...that's not a typo, even 4G (which has less bandwidth capacity than 4G+) is capable of those speeds. The other networks have similar speed estimates.

https://gomo.ie/terms/

5G is not worth paying extra for IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

"When 4G was launched it was technically 3.5G but marketing decided it had to be called 4G."

That was true more so in the US. If you see 4G on an American phone provider, it's actually DC-HSPA or HSPA+ (3G). Only if you see LTE is it true 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Tested with my kid's phone from my home. The 4G on my one was always at least 5 times faster on Speedtest than theirs on 5G.

Tested indoors, both pointing to the same endpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Moved from 5g on three to GoMo. Full 5g signal on three and speeds of 300-400mb then moved to GoMo with Similar signal and 30-40mb. I'd say GoMo are definitely being throttled.

Also could not get iMessage to activate. Spoke to Apple, did all the troubleshooting, spoke to GoMo, they were no help. Ported back to three and its back working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Do you guys reckon Gomo will eventually retire 4G and kick us off the cheaper plans? Can’t see it making them much money anymore with the increases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was getting 5Mb/s which isn't great but you can survive on it. In my case it was only a few days every other month. Your phone should tell you how much you are using and you get a warning text at 80%.

Cutting ties with Virgin and the annual phone calls and emails about their ratcheting of costs and the nightmare of dealing with their customer support when they put you on the wrong plan and won't let you go back ? Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 username3

Anyone know the fair usage for the 5g plan ?

"Anyone know the fair usage for the 5g plan?"

AFAIK it's same as all their plans...120GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I'm a new customer to GOMO, i only switched over from vodafone today. I'm on the 15e package. So far it is not great. According to their map, there is 5g. According to my phone, only LTE can be joined. The difference between the 2 is dramatic.

https://gomo.ie/our-coverage-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

When you say the difference in the two is dramatic, what do you mean? LTE v's 5G? Gomo v's Vodafone?

In fairness, it's been highlighted here before... LTE can be and often is fast that 5G, no matter the network. LTE+ is quite fast, whereas the benefits of 5G are in capacity on the network and benefit the operator moreso than the user (*in it's most basic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Gomos lte (in Dublin 5) is significantly worse than vodafone's 5g. I'll survive but when I got onto their support they told me their side was fine and I should change my phone (pixel 7). That was disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm on the original 4G contract and getting 50mb/s... It's plenty for me, not sure how that compares... Haven't looked at the speed of my data for years because I haven't felt that it was slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Been using my 15e sim today with 5g enabled. I've noticed it's showing 5g symbol all the time but I'm living in 4g only territory and speed test proves this with same speeds as before with my 4g sim. It doesn't display 4g at all now it will drop from 5g to 3g. No in between. Speeds are same as my 4g sim. Apart from an area today with proper 5g I got 402 Meg download speed. Impressive. So unless I do a speed test on my travels I will not know if I'm receiving true 5g service despite my phone displaying the 5 g symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Question to those who wanted to try this in a router?

How did you get on with that, did Gomo throttle you for using it in a router rather than your mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I’m on the 9.99p/m per plan.

Am I super cynical in thinking this is a move to try and get people to move off the 9.99p/m plan and then in a year or so when splitting the subscriber base on to two plans is causing too much overheads just give everyone 5g?

I definitely don’t need 5g for my usage patterns at the moment, but it’s more of a nice to have than a need to have.

Still a nice bargain if you missed out on the original 9.99p/m plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe but 5G hasn't exactly been a huge winner for the telcos, most people don't need it and are happy with 4G. I'm on the 9.99 plan, I'm certainly not switching.

The main problem I have with mobile data is when I'm in areas with no coverage or only 2G - 5G isn't going to help me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

I'm on the GoMo 15pm plan. I have a OnePlus Nord 5G phone, my OS is not updated yet to give native 5G support but I used a force band switch app from Google play store and got over 400mb download speed in Cork city. 4G was only clocking approx 30mb at the time.

They might want to update their fair usage policy.

• Advertisement

"did Gomo throttle you for using it in a router rather than your mobile?"

AFAIK Gomo don't treat routers any differently but it seems everyone is throttled over 120GB.

Advertisement