Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Surely it would have made more sense to go back to Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Pilot must not want to spend the night at home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Quiet outside Athlone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Loads of trees and telegraph poles down in North East Galway. Still have power tho in my house. Saw afew trees nearby swinging in the wind before dark, doubt they will make it.

Gable end was rattling very heavy and loud afew times aswell. Have to inspect the damage in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lot of airports that you would normally divert to are already full. might make more sense for ryanair to pug the plane back in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭Dazler97

To strong at Manchester to land, unexpected stop at Paris, the flight shouldn't have taken off in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,245 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot of downed trees in Derry city area.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Just as well it didn't reach Darwin levels down in Limerick. The storm took a more northerly track and we edged out of the worst of it. Still some damaging gusts and trees down though. Could've been a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

How many trees that were there today won't be there tomorrow?

The last of the peak moving through Sligo now. Donegal will see highest gusts until 2am.

Checking my so called "sheltered" wind gauge on the weather station....83.2kph was my top gust between 9 and 10pm. Lower since but not much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I just took a look at radar around reported time of suspected tornado in meath, inconclusive, appearance was typical of downburst straight-line winds which could also peak at F1 tornado speeds (150 km/hr). When possible and safe to do so, anyone nearby could check for evidence of debris moving either

(a) straight downwind, indicates downburst, or

(b) rotational debris paths, indicates tornado as cause.

Either way, the line squalls noted on radar were likely to have produced brief intervals of gusts in 130-150 range. Reports may come in during daylight hours tomorrow in rural areas of apparent similar damage streaks not witnessed during storm. Airport and weather station gusts can never provide a total picture of actual peak wind speeds and I always assume that some location not being measured will reach a peak gust 20% higher than grid of observations. Of course, in severe U.S. tornado outbreaks, that ratio could be 200% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Very wild again after a lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

My friend will have a look around the farm in the morning, how if he sees any evidence, he will let ye know on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Gonzo, did you experience that squall line at about 6.15pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

Slight damage to my roof siding and some of the mortar? along side fell down also and narrowly missed car. wont be able to fully assess till morning. in louth.

Time lapse radar appears to indicate that line squall was same feature I mentioned earlier when it was passing through Shannon estuary. Just a quick look at maps indicates very few populated areas along track from ten miles north of Limerick to central meath but there may be other reports eventually along its path and also a parallel feature further north, believe I read one post about its passage through Louth? A third candidate for localized damage ran from Sligo across south-central NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

@beggars_bush I've noticed lots of old sealing/caulk around the windows on the outside was getting old and cracked. Will have to scrape out the old stuff and squirt in some fresh Tec 7 or something more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Malin 94km/h gust 133km/h

• A nearly 30 mb difference in pressure between Malin Head (964) and Valentia (993) at 10pm. An indication of the tightness of the pressure gradient over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It's still very gusty in Lucan. I'm surprised by how long this has lasted here. So noisy still, very intense gusts and squalls still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

The guttering outside the bedroom is clattering a good bit. Hope it hangs on 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RuuupShligo

Can't hear anymore gusts in Sligo but that ominous roar overhead is still there.

Aonoch mor in Scotland gusting 179 km/hr but note elevation is 1130 m, must be on an exposed slope of Ben Nevis. Same general idea for other extreme gusts on map in Scotland, and it indicates what was happening near peaks of mountains in Ireland today.

Stornoway 951.2 mbs, satellite image suggests centre of Isha is located 50 miles n.w. of Stornoway, winds are moderate (gusting 72 km/hr) indicates central pressure of about 947-948. (source meteociel but their depicted isobars are not very accurate near centre)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Seems to be all over now.

Still northern connaught and ulster getting gusts and even Scotland and Western Wales too , worst storm I've experienced since Darwin and I was in Dublin for that one ,I will note how inland these gusts got is incredibly as with most other storms it's only a coastal event but this storm had a much broader wind field

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I am on kildare Laois border lots of reports of fallen trees , 6 within 2 km of me and lots of large tress so a lot of local roads completely closed. I can’t see school here starting on tomorrow.

Very sustained strong gusts started about 5:30 and continued till about 9 .. then died down a bit but after picking up strong again now .. lost power for 4 hours but lights are flickering now again .

Happy to see most people took notice of the warnings around here as some of the trees down are huge ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Reading here some areas of the Midlands seem to have experienced tornadic characteristics from the earlier squall. A lot will be revealed in the morning.

I know I'm posting alot and I apologise but I am extremely surprised my power didn't go ,as all around me lost power ,we had 4 or 5 moments of severe gusts and I was like this will knock it out and didn't , for anyone sitting in the dark , your not missing much telly is crap , also keep warm and at least the storm is going away , for those in malin head or around the area your gonna have gusts above 100km/h till 5am or so

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Robwindstorm

M.T ,Did you see the short X clip from Athboy Co. Meath . I experienced similar for a 15 minute period between Navan and Kells, so in all probability it was straight line winds rather than a tornado. Then again, we'll have to wait for daylight to see damage etc.

• Advertisement

Yellow wind warning issued for northwestern and western counties from 04:00 till 19:00 only copped that there

Advertisement