Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never known so many trees down in Galway and the County this was some wind event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Not really though. If you lived in Banagher you'd often be right next to a red county (Galway) and it's not normal for east Galway to see red conditions...ever.

They really need to drop the all or nothing county BS.

It's almost always western side of the Atlantic counties anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RuuupShligo

Agree, western coastal areas up to 20km from coast might be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I think we can say with merit the warnings probably saved a life or 2.

That place in Galway where the clock fell would normally be a very busy corner. Reasonable people would have heeded the warnings unless absolutely necessary and stayed sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

very weird weather around outside storming atherney has not getting power cut or internet cut off everything so on during nasty storm

surley mostly school business will close til everything power back tmorrow evening 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Getting loud again outside in North East Galway

Meanwhile watching Dublin to Edinburgh diverting to Cologne on F24!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

On NW storm thread, someone mentions that a Shannon to Edinburgh flight landed in Cologne. (the city, not the grooming aid)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You never know many lives are positively influenced by even our threads, as well as public warnings. People might post somewhat different ideas about warnings if it could be quantified. The only way to get even a vague estimate would be to look at outcomes in distant past but in distant past people were not as mobile as today and might have been more weather conscious than are many modern citizens.

One rough guide might be that in 1925, when there were basically no weather warnings and only simple newspaper forecasts, the super-tornado outbreak in midwest U.S. killed 700, a similar outbreak in 1974 impacting twice as many people killed 250, and per capita rates have continued to fall in severe outbreaks since. Also, the 1900 Galveston hurricane killed 10,000 and the 1928 Florida 'cane killed 2,000; much larger death tolls than worst case hurricanes recently.

I am guessing, but if let's say somehow Isha appeared without any warning, ten or twenty lives could easily be lost to it, mostly driving mishaps, or additional people out and about. There would also be dozens of injuries avoided by staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Top gusts. Mace Head out on top at 137kmh

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I'm nearby and have cctv from 6.08 where a severe gust that lasted a few mins tore several roof tiles off the house, by 6. 15 it was near calm again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MobileState

Many places lost electricity. It is predicted that electricity will come back around 6 pm on Monday.

I really hope it will be sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seen that with all the local outages in donegal.

I assume its a standard timescale put on outages, and they hope to have people back online earlier?

Could be another day off for the kids! I know schools don't open if they have no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Isha, she came, she blew, she left. Oh what a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Power went around 9pm here in north Kildare and still out. Longest we’ve been out I believe. There’s an alarm going off in the estate since it went and I’m going slightly demented. Internet essentially non existent since the power went as the phone network immediately overloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Still blowing in north Kerry from the yellow across the estuary in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Should be nothing of note, still a fresh day,more nw so might affect areas differently but just fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MobileState

Yes, they put for ALL the places the same estimated time: 6 pm

For the entire Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

From reading all other comments we really escaped it in Carlow Town. We've had worse conditions in yellow warnings in the past. It just goes to show how localised these events can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

An awful morning here in Donegal, sounds like the storm is still going very rough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Power out here, South Meath,since 8:30pm last night. Going to be an interesting morning getting kids off to school in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was certainly an interesting evening here in my area of meath (Rathkenny), from about 6.15 to 6.30, we had unreal wind and rain, never seen anything like it, a good few trees down around the place, they are probably to blame as to why we've no phone or internet, but luckily we kept power.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Wow, love to see that!!! Hope your damage isn't too bad, always the worst thing with these storms, the damage they can do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm abated here in Greystones very quickly around 11pm last night.

Indications (...to me...) we could have Storm Jocelyn tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just let the dog in from out the back. Thing sprinted into the kitchen and went under the table. Must have been wild out there..normally struggle to get him to come in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RTE reporting 235,000 customers without power this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

I was up with the toddler during the night and it was still howling away here in NCD at 2.30am.

Long time since I remember anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The school cannot open without power. Check that first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Ros4Sam24

Power stayed all day with thousands around me out and got a day off school. Grand aul storm 😁

Advertisement