Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does anyone know what they're actually doing? Road alignment is very vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

From the DLR website:

TRAVEL & TRANSPORT

Proposed Temporary Closure of N11 between its junction with Kill Lane (Foxrock Church) to on ramp R118 Cherrywood interchange Southbound and Northbound

03 January 2024 DLR COUNTY General News

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council has received an application from Roadstone, Fortunestown, Belgard, Tallaght, Dublin 24 to temporarily close part of the N11 Stillorgan Road between its junction with Kill Lane (Foxrock Church) to on ramp R118 Cherrywood Interchange junction southbound and northbound from Monday 22nd January, 2024 to Sunday 30th June, 2024 between 19:30 hours to 05:00 hours each day.

A Traffic Management Plan will be in operation and pedestrian, local access and access for bus and emergency services will be maintained at all times. Diversion routes will be clearly signposted. 

The purpose of the closure is to allow for realignment of the traffic lanes.

Any interested parties may lodge an objection in writing with the Senior Engineer, Traffic Section, County Hall, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire not later than noon on Wednesday 17th January, 2024 or email info@dlrcoco.ie. 

Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I will in person tomorrow morning when the council offices open.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its only a continuation of the night work that was going on prior to Christmas.

Transport Infrastructure Ireland have a programmed maintenance life on Motorways and National Routes, ie they have to be resurfaced and repainted, about every decade.

In the work before Christmas they used the opportunity to increase bus approach and departure lanes and clean up some conflict points where cyclelanes meet bus stops, bus lanes, traffic lanes etc, in line with the updated urban road design manual.

Most of the dual carriageway stretch between Whites Cross and Loughlinstown still needs to be done, and obviously with nightworks it will take some months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Living Streets survey linked from here:

How to Make a Submission 

Submissions must be made within the display period, which runs from 2nd November 2023 to 14th December 2023 and has now been extended to 16th January 2024.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Only really paying attention to this now, it's a big plan!

Some good things and some things I'd be worried about but overall I'd be in favour of it.

If there was an option to trial the modal filter on Tivoli road, the change in direction of the one way system on Newtownsmith, and the deliveries before 11am on Georges St first that would put a lot of people's minds at ease about the whole plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Trials don’t really work as it will naturally be cahotic at the start and would need Time to bed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How are people unable to get to her shop? There is still access, via a one-way system. It just some people, those coming from one direction, have a slightly longer journey to get to the shop.

Amazing to see the indignant resident who has realised that she doesn't have enough room in her front garden for her oversized tank. Maybe she should get a smaller car. Those houses all have rear access, with large gardens and garages at the back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not all of those houses have rear access. The ones nearest to Deansgrange village do but not the ones further back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

It is an interesting one. You would wonder if the residents had a choice again now would they accept the original one way southbound solution which would have retained their parking and given them a quieter road. I suppose we have no way of knowing who supported it and who didn't. One of the main and most vociferous objectors were Tiger Pizza now closed and long gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

If Deansgrange went one way the traffic diverted will go to NewtownparkAvenue and then you will have residents here campaigning for their road to be made one way.

There two schools on Newtownpark Ave, soon to be three snd three more schools in the Hollypark housing estate off Newtownpark Avenue.Some of those drivers who cant drive down Deansgrange Road at present to go northwards are continuing on and going thru Hollypark estate, more are using Johnstown Road which is already heavily trafficked.

All these issues regarding traffic displacement were obvious when half the coastal road was turned into an amenity.

How can anyone with a brain cell think Monkstown farm is going to cope when Tivoli Road is closed to cars, its just insanity repeating the same thing over and over.

Dundrum is at this same nonsense, took the new L25 to Dundrum snd got off without asking the driver where the return bus to stillorgan went from, completely forgot the Main Street is one way. Asked in about three shops, no one had a clue, eventually stopped a bus and asked the driver could i get on even though it was going in the opposite direction to where I wanted to go, I was freezing at that stage.

He told me to walk through a carpark to get to behind the old shopping centre, its just friggin nuts, the largest shopping centre in the country and you cant get a bus outside it.

I was tempted to get a taxi but then looked up the street, traffic just jammed, heard one traffic driver saying, look at the cars, Im going home.

All the traffic exiting the old shopping centre cant turn right so its joining the never ending queue out of Dundrum and the bus is caught in that too.

Cars spewing fumes, what is this achieving.

You have no understanding for anyones views but your own.

Someones livelihood is on the line here and its not yours.

Maybe try and open up a small business that has no parking nearby, see how you get on while you risk your savings and then bureaucrats whose income is never on the line make decisions that could ruin you financially.

We were told this too when the coastal route was installed, ask the Tivoli Road residents how that worked out.

Will the Monkstown Farm residents be able to mobilise as effectively when all the displaced Seapoint Avenue snd Tivoli Road traffic is sent their way.

Their street will be living streets all right, a living nightmare.

It won’t be all the displaced traffic.

the coast road is been changed so it’s one way from Glenageary. , much more people will use the coast road.

displaced traffic will be found on busses , DARTS, bikes etc.

others will use other routes

Can I ask you what other routes, say someone travelling from Blackrock to Dalkey,always drove on Seapoint Ave, Sat Nav now directing them via Tivoli Road.

I can see most of this traffic going via Monkstown Farm.

And Im talking about car traffic, not bikes, buses, Darts or walking.

• Advertisement

Blackrock to Dalkey , I’d go through Monkstown village , down to to Crofton road, back up marine road and straight down from George’s street.

even if I’m going from bluepool or going back and forth from Scoil Lorcáin on school run I’d avoid the farm as it’s a so slow. I’d go Mounttown road, then onto Glenageary Road

Maybe if you want to open a business that depends on availability of parking, perhaps you should choose a location that actually has parking available, rather than expecting society to subsidise your business by providing additional space?

There's road works in progress, so just like any road works, business is going to be disrupted temporarily. Her shop is still accessible, with two car parks (Lidl and Supervalu) both less than 300m away, shorter than walking from one end of any shopping centre to the other.

Maybe she should have gone with the one-way system that preserved parking that was offered originally?

Honestly, I've rarely heard anything so ridiculous as your L25 Dundrum complaint. The outgoing route and incoming route share the same terminus. The buses are clearly marked at each physical stop, with digital signs overhead showing real time information.

The driver you asked could have directed you to the terminus, or could have directed you to walk around the old car park, seeing as you don't seem to like walking through car parks (unless of course, you've parked your car there and then everything is fine and rosy).

It's an absolute lie to say "the largest shopping centre in the country and you cant get a bus outside it". Stop 7717 is one of several L25 stops right outside the largest shopping centre in the country. Here's a snapshot of the L25 arrivals due at that stop at the time of writing.

All the traffic exiting the old shopping centre has two choices, either exit onto Main St and turn left, or exit directly onto the bypass and turn either direction, left or right. The buses exiting the terminus don't all come onto Main St, several routes exit directly onto the bypass.

This is the standard of misinformation being spread by those who are dead set on opposing any measure that doesn't involve driving by private car, and we're supposed to take their sudden new-found interest in traffic fumes seriously?

Its all pretty academic, as it seems, according to my sources that there are already 18 of the 40 Councillors who won't be voting in favour of 'living streets' in any circumstances. I would also be fairly certain of another 4 joining that number.

In fact, looking at it the other way, the number I can see as 100% definite Yes votes, is just 7.

And so only 3 out of 15 'in play' would be needed to kill it. I suspect it'll be much more. Probably of the order of 30/10 against.

In fairness to your sources , they are not known for their accuracy….

Remember when you told us last year with absolute certainty that the roadworks in Fairview were going to cancelled and withdrawn within a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Its not the largest shopping centre in the country.

You can get the return bus to Stillorgan from a few stops on Dundrum Bypass.

If youre at the Mill Pond Square its a short walk via the pedestrian route to the stop on the Bypass.

If youre at the Dunnes end just head out of the pedestrian exit in the car park and the stop is on the right.

I stand by my record. There's no cycle lane on Strand Road, and the compromise on the North Strand that was agreed under the table, was that the Guards would ignore private traffic using the one remaining inbound lane, and spare Ballybough from being unnecessarily inundated.

Anyway, the numbers are in on the Living Streets thing, over 7,000 submissions made, and the plan is for the Council to vote 'No' in March.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

You didn't tell us that there was going to be a compromise. You told us with absolute certainty that the major water infrastructure project was going to be pulled out of Fairview because a few lads were stuck in traffic. Which of course, didn't happen.

Nice try though, an 'under the table' deal that conveniently can't be verified!

Since when did non-enforcement of any bus lane require a 'deal' with AGS? What 'under the table' deal was done with AGS to not enforce the bus lane at Conyngham Road?

• Advertisement

Dunno mate, this the Dublin County South Forum.

Advertisement