Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Travel Area - Can we freely move?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There are spot checks at U.K. airports for CTA arrivals. Experienced 3 times at Lcy, twice at Gatwick and once at Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭yagan

Is this new? I used to travel over regularly up til 2019 and never seen a spot check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

I was checked once at LBA (last year). That was a first for me.

On this topic, what about similar questions when entering the EU?

I've been asked at Amsterdam the last two times I flew in there where I'm going, why and for how long. I answered but it seems excessive considering the right to freedom of movement in the EU. Why does it matter how long I'm going for in particular considering I can legally stay as long as I like? I find border agents rarely ask questions at all elsewhere in the EU execept sometimes casually like just to make their job less boring.

I usually try to use e-gates where possible (except at Dublin where it's faster to go to a manned booth and they're usually very friendly anyway). They can't ask you questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They don't care what you say, they care about how you say it.

• Advertisement

That's not really relevant though for travel within the EU with freedom of movement. It's not like travelling to another country where they can deny you entry. The extent of the checks should be that you document is valid and you're not on a wanted list.

Besides like I said before, e-gates can't ask you questions and in AMS I could have used them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The right of an eu citizen to enter another eu country is not an absolute one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

People often confuse freedom of movement of workers with freedom of movement of people. You don't have the absolute right to reside indefinitely in another EU country if not employed there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭yagan

Countries still retain the right to border checking even within the Schengen zone. Denmark reintroduced border checks although they're officially temporary.

Schengen ultimately is about legal jurisdiction and the sharing of information which reduces the need for but not eliminates border checks between members.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your journey was less about moving within the EU and more about entering the Schengen zone from a non-Schengan country. If you were arriving from France or Italy, you wouldn't have come face to face with any officials.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm well aware of that. I was just wondering the point of questioning EU travellers entering the Schengen area. It's not common in my experience.

Advertisement