Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF TD Jack Chambers announces he is gay

Options
  • 14-01-2024 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I just got a notification on my phone from RTÉ News that Jack Chambers, a junior minister, is gay.

Why is this considered an important enough story to send out a news alert? Why is it a story in the first place? I am struggling to describe just how little I care for the sexual preference of a government minister. I just don’t understand this at all. Who the **** cares?!

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Tow

I got the notification as well. Heard the name before, but not idea who he is of what he is minister of. No interest and who cares. I am left wondering if this is from the government's spin machine, trying to take attention from real issues effecting people.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

From his point of view, he probably wanted to be the one to bring it into the public domain rather than some tabloid publishing pics of him kissing someone with 'EXCLUSIVE' in huge writing across the page.

But as to why RTE saw fit to send a push notification, god only knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

And run it as the second story on the website - best of luck Jack etc but not news imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s annoying the all-day outrage merchants on Twitter so that’s good enough in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nachouser

Equally, one could ask why is this a thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Rte should have cop to leave it

2024 peoples sexuality shouldn't be news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd now like to come out as...left-handed. My sexual orientation should be equally as irrelevant.

It's a sign of how far we still have to evolve as a society when the media think a public servant's (minister or otherwise) sexual orientation is even newsworthy.

Regressive journalism from The Irish Times. I'm disappointed with them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah. Why are people posting about it if they don't care.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

People don't care. It's the idea of The Irish Times caring enough to run such a petty story that people here are posting about.

But they care enough to be posting they don't care 🤣. Like seriously announcing you don't care is actually stupid cause it shows you care enough to announce that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a distraction from the actual issues, and an attempt to boost his popularity in probably an election year, and thus internal standing in the party.

Same reason why Leo Varadkar came out on national radio during the SSM referendum. I don't think Jack will be succeeding Micheal though somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What I find odd is that it took two people to write the article, when it’s basically just a copy-and-paste of Chambers’ instagram post.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

I'm with the OP, also I fail to understand why Mr Chambers feels it necessary to tell us that he is 'proud' to be gay. Am I entitled to be proud of being 5ft 11 or of having green eyes? Research has shown that sexuality is largely genetic so it seems silly to be proud of being gay, or straight, or tri-sexual.

The West has become obsessed with LGBT rights to such an extent that it will inevitably prompt a backlash.

I don't find it odd, did you never hear the expression 'churnalist'? Most modern journalists seem to do little but repeat government propaganda, or opposition propaganda (yes, some journos favour SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Augme

In 2015, 38% of the population voted against gay people being given the same legal rights to marry as straight people.

Boost his internal standing in FF? I don't think you know FF. 😂

Post edited by Augme on

If he were a UK politician, that would be legitimate, but the Irish media (even the tabloids) don't in general have a record of intruding into politicians' personal lives, unless they are doing something illegal. I know there was the case of Emmet Stagg, technically he wasn't doing anything illegal, but given the Labour party's uber-PC stance on prostitution, he was certainly hypocritical, so (arguably) deserved to be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The real question is why the OP gets notifications from RTE. What sort of person signs up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shouldn't really be news 99% of people probably don't care thankfully.

Not a fan of him, useless at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What about all the straight people I say. They need to be recognised also surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see he is minister for road safety.....mmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lads, the answer is clicks, nothing more.

Half the stuff on every the news site is nonsense.

You're better off deleting news apps, or at least stopping push notifications. There's nothing reported that has an material impact on the lives of most people in Ireland.

A quick look on the Journal shows the same Chambers story, a piece on Paul Mescal, two stories on the US election 10 months away, a volcano in Iceland and two stories about road traffic accidents. In short, the people who are actually affected, or even interested in this stuff are getting it from sources better than RTE and The journal

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

To make the point this is our national broadcaster and the national news service, who are supposed to at least attempt to be quality journalists instead of tabloid stories like this.

What’s next, ‘Galway county councillor reveals he has a foot fetish’ as a headline? It’s almost as if there’s nothing else happening here or around the world to report on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,830 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How else would he know what to be outraged about.

Funny enough "a foot fetish" would probably be a big scandal. Really does freak people out 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

I imagine it would not have been a secret around Dail Eireann or amongst any of his friends.

Honestly this sort of nonsense is seriously outdated,nobody cares.

Bit odd that you feel you need to know about paedophilia and beastiality

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Which animals are counted as vulnerable and which are not? Asking for a friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This thread has gone down the usual route, disappointing but predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What route is the usual route?

If it is cynical humorous mocking of everyone and everything... I gotta say I approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Just goes to show how pointless RTE are these days and how sh*te journalism is in general

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement