Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF TD Jack Chambers announces he is gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am shocked someone came out as left handed in this thread. If there is one thing I can't stand is left- handed people. I consider myself fairly open-minded, but this is beyond the pale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've never heard of him till today.

But I do know of him now. Which has got me thinking - is that really why he made the announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I doubt he’s ever heard of you, so I’d say no. That’s not why he made the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

In fairness people weren't making jokes because he's gay. They were making jokes because he had to 'announce' it and even moreso because it was deemed majorly newsworthy by our state broadcaster.

In the light of that most of those jokes were consequently the opposite of being homophobic, because they were implying that they/we have long moved on from that.

So I'm not sure what all the excitement is about.

Of course the thread title being changed by a mod giving the thread a whole different slant isnt helping either IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I agree with this, all the faux outrage over a few jokes about a news headline that isn't actually news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The thread title was changed because it gave no clue as to what was actually being discussed without clicking into it.

As for changing the slant, that's subjective I guess but the text of the opening post hasn't been changed at all and op clearly questions why the story/announcement is newsworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

The day this topic is not a thread is the day we have turned a corner. Leave the man alone.

Didn’t know much about him tbh. I see on Wikipaedia he qualified as a doctor. His father is a consultant in Mater Private. Must be some kind of intellect in him. I’d say he wanted his profile raised for one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is a significant growth in all crime over the last couple of years here….

that said being gay is not an issue for most right thinking people. Now certain religions here, including one which is becoming rapidly more prevalent, certain countries on the Arabic peninsula where those religions are prolific and domineering , have actually executed homosexuals. That’s something I’d be worried for and about. Are those views and attitudes being imported ?

a certain Muslim Sheikh here is on record as criticising homosexuals and homosexuality….so it’s a question that deserves to be asked / answered !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think this government spin on words and lies will say what helps them so even spin something as homophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

True that and now theres 'Gay Tavellers' nowadays which shows 'all' society's are moving on but things will be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is not really newsworthy these days, and thankfully so.

As a gay guy myself, out and proud since the age of 22, I’m happy that Jack Chambers (a guy I always thought looked ultra straight-laced... yes, there is an unintended pun there) is happy to declare his gay sexuality, but the Fianna Fáil party membership is just something I cannot accept as normal. 😐😁

Chambers is also a Dublin West TD. The constituency I grew up in and where I still live in currently. It’s rather interesting that of its four current sitting TDs, three are gay men - Leo, Roderick O’Gorman and now Jack Chambers. This IMO is the most interesting aspect of Jack’s public coming out.

I therefore declare that Dublin West is Ireland’s gayest constituency! 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connorcc

Lol, wow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Some of the comments here are actually mad.

No one is gonna come out to raise their profile, or get more publicity, or deflect from something else. No one. Anyone saying that has clearly never had to come out, or spoken at any length to someone who has.

Coming out is one of the most terrifying things a human can do. The absolute fear that people will start treating you differently, or talk about you being your back, or feel sorry for you, or even worse openly be a dick is horrible. And sure, most of the time, it's absolutely grand, but it doesn't change the fear that something could happen.

The reason people come out is to be open with themselves. You (potentially, I don't know Jack Chambers personal situation, can only speak for myself) spend years denying who are, and you eventually get to a point where you are able to admit it to yourself. Then fast forward another while before you're comfortable telling family and friends.

What you want is a "I don't care, I still love you for who you are" (or in the case of a stranger "I don't care, I will still treat you the same as I always have") reply. What you absolutely do not want is "why did you need to announce that".

It IS important that people in public life come out - it shouldn't be, but it is. It's important that young LGBT people (even more so if they have an unsupportive family) can see "look you can be gay and still get elected as a TD - even though I'm having a **** time now it will get better". That is important. Representation is important.

And until the day where there is zero homophobia anywhere, it will continue to be. And we are, unfortunately, no where near that yet.

Post edited by G_R on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My first and only reaction, who the **** cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Guess he's looking for those left bonus points but he should read the room, we don't give a f*** about leftist ideologies anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm glad the people of Dublin West are happy people.

I came out as a brick recently. It was an open secret. People kept telling me I was a chip off the old block.

When I revealed my identity, they came telling me not to be so square. I'm now a pebble.😱

Got to be the water supply! 🤣 Or a nearby factory 🧐

• Advertisement

And quite frankly we won’t be with some of the changing demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jack Chambers (a guy I always thought looked ultra straight-laced

Whereas if you had looked closely all along you would see he was sporting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think the blame lies with RTE making it one of their top headlines. I don't think what he said on Instagram particularly qualifies as an 'announcement' the way RTE reported it. He just made a personal comment on Instagram and I think that's fine. RTE should have put it in their Entertainment section :D

Coming out is one of the most terrifying things a human can do.

My god you've got the melodramatic gene don't you. Personally I find going to the dentist far more terrifying.

^blame

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Maybe you think so, and that's cool. Personally, I just know it was something that genuinely crippled me for years. Possibly my own issues, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it did. 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

All I know about the gobshite is that he's at least one of those who want to wallpaper the country with those ridiculous 30kph speed limits so we all have to crawl everywhere. No idea why anyone would care about his private/personal preferences. That's his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Post edited by sully2010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Tow

A moderator changed the title of this thread. It was originally why RTE thought coming out as gay was worthy of Headline News and a Push Notification on to the RTE New App.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SynBin

"... straight-laced..." :) I thought that was quite a funny pun. But was it intentional? It's "strait-laced".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In days gone by the only reason someone would do this is to get out ahead of some scandalous story that was about the be released about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes trying to stop clowns speeding and killing others is such a terrible thing

maybe the gobshite is the ones in the cars who keep killing each other? Ever think of that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement