Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Do creationwatches.com pay customs on purchases? They are coming from Singapore I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No, you pay the VAT when it lands.

On a different matter. The cheapest, closest to retail price I can recall seeing in quite a while. Seller on TZUK offering up a 124060 Sub for £8500. Already sold too but a very clear indication of the continuing direction of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Still over retail for a year old watch

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Definitely a sign of prices softening.

I was in Keane's this week just checking on the Sub in put my name on, and got indicators that it could arrive earlier than expected... No date yet though 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Anyone else watch this over the Christmas - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001t575

Journalist interviews gangs who target high value watches in London and snatch them off wrists. One group also use ladies as spotters to chat up potential targets in pubs and clubs and point them out.

Watching it you do question the sanity of walking around with €20k on your wrist whilst drunk or even out shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i would not believe anything the bbc has to say, that documentary got ripped to bits on reddit for being fake, certain people have an agenda and keep focusing on watch crime and lets take paul thorpe he's all over these stories and then he creates a company that has a website where you can check a lost and stolen register - shocker and spoiler alert it is not taking off because we already have the watch register established for the uk.

i spend lots of time in london and it is nowhere near as bad as people say and in central london i could pop on a 20k watch and the guy next to me on the tube will have an AP and blow me out of the water, yes watch crime does exist but you have more chance of having your car stolen which would be much more valuable than a watch in most cases

The internet isn’t for everyone

As a simple rule of thumb , if Paul Thorpe says something , believe the opposite .To me he’s a UK version of Anthony Farrer

yes he’s a total fraud and claimed tpg just made a mistake and he’s a great guy really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I remember getting eaten alive for suggesting that "blue chip" steel sports Rolex would be back to retail. Only hype watches would take the cut they said. Non hype is insulated for this madness. Nope.

Its a good thing, takes the bullshit out of the market. The "I got the call" posts is not no more than I got a new watch and paid retail for it rather than I have been gifted 5k by and AD cause I am a great lad. The "I am on a waiting list" post is now little more than a "I dont want a secondhand watch" post. This is a good thing, you can actually relax and enjoy your watches now rather than having to share the space with tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

@mik_da_man 8 weeks for my Explorer 40 with them. And I don’t have a big spend. And then, somewhat embarrassingly, got a pelagos FXD black the next day… which was ordered on release (end of September?). There has to be lots of people refusing them. It’s great that the speculators are on the way out though. Leaves it to those who are actually interested in the hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/32208013

Thats an add to watch. Datesub can’t achieve retail. the drop has been very slow. I think I predicted it for end last year.

Now I think Rolex will be fine: sports especially. We are not at the sports watches in the window stage; and ADs will resist that as long as they can to keep the pretence up.

Really hope Omega get fully fucked for being greedy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have to say if i was buying a seller with mixed feedback like that wouldn’t be my first port of call !

Agree. And also while none of the feedback is terrible (scammer kinda stuff) if someone has 4 negative feedback then they must have acted the maggot at least 15 times as people are reluctant to leave back feedback in general.

He ain’t needed anymore anyway….you can get one at retail in the AD soon enough.

@893bet He ain’t needed anymore anyway….you can get one at retail in the AD soon enough.

Can you though ?Will we see a time where you can decide to go into an AD and say I’d like to buy a sub date or a gmt and walk out with one ?I don’t think so.I think the watch world has exploded so much that even in freefall like it is now , Rolex still won’t be able to keep up with production .Every other brand yes I think will have majority of their models sitting on the shelves and Omega are going to get a quick awakening,but Rolex are far too ingrained into modern consumerism and for the majority of people ,Rolex are a huge status symbol at a price point that people can get too if they want to , the more available they become the more people will buy them and until production matches that ,we’ll still have AD games.

I think that within 18months or so, availability of steel sports at retail will be a matter of weeks rather 1yr+.

China is the biggest consumer of luxury goods, the companies serving luxury goods, Burberry, LVMH and others have since October or so issued revised guidance on lower profit & margins. Couple that with property bubble in China well and truly bursting. Current PBOC strategy is interest rates, currently still at about ½ US rates. Their next move IMO is quantitative easing and the inflation that comes with it. A drum I've been beating since 2020, and I'll eventually be right 😉

The set of people with cash to drop on luxury goods is diminishing worldwide though. If an asset is worth what someone is willing to pay? Then you have to look at what forces drive the market. In UK & US, relatively easy credit for new watches, make them very much a discretionary purchase for most people and as such, dearer credit and less free cash, demand will tank.

TZUK sales corner has been heading that way for a while. Stuff that would usually be hoovered up, is sitting longer and Rolex prices have softened considerably.

Edit

Forgot to add, my reasoning above is also why I think Rolex bought Bucherer and introduced the Rolex pre-owned scheme. It's part of an effort to manage their secondary market pricing. Being the biggest 2nd hand Rolex dealer, will give them at least partial price control on 2nd hand markets.

I think Rolex GMT will remain strong long after subs have further “weakened” (still great residuals). Same as Daytona would still be front after that again etc.

I think that within 18months or so, availability of steel sports at retail will be a matter of weeks rather 1yr+.

I think we are nearly at that now , but a few weeks is very different to being able to get it right now.A few weeks wait still shows more demand than availability .

If an asset is worth what someone is willing to pay..

Thats the big change that needs to be driven home .Not being seen as investments or an asset that is easily converted to cash.Once that changes which it is starting to now , well then availability will increase.

TZUK sales corner has been heading that way for a while. Stuff that would usually be hoovered up, is sitting longer and Rolex prices have softened considerably.

Not sure that’s a lack of cash issue though.id imagine a lot of people have the cash to spend but won’t as you don’t want to find the same watch a lot cheaper in a few months.

Not to sound like the Rolex fanboy but I don’t think Rolex is going to have it as hard as the rest.The brand is in that rare niche position of being so mainstream and so popular that I can’t see the majority of their models sitting on shelves bar in a few quiet odd places that a buyer might be lucky enough to stumble upon.

100,000 steel subs a year being made at the moment .Surely that many worldwide buyers each year ?The new sub price though of €10900 is pushing it a bit.

Who knows. When profit can’t be made the list will get a lot shorter and theoretically those that want the watches will get them.

Hopefully so .Be nice to be able to decide I’ll go pick up a new watch today and come home with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi Guys,

Just wondering which you prefer? I had my heart set on the black bay 41mm but then I saw this heritage seamaster in an AD in London and now I can no longer decide! Looking to buy on Chrono24

i prefer the seamster but i don't think you should listen to anyone else's opinion, you have to go with your gut instinct

sounds to me like you prefer the seamster and want some encouragement to buy it, life is too short just bite the bullet

I'm with OmegaGene on this one. Go with your gut on what you'd prefer. I have a blackbay 41 and I love it, they are quite slab sided tho.

The other thing to consider, is price and any discount. You might find it hard to get much on the Tudor but maybe 15-20% on the Omega and that might sway you more?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Go with your gut (if it says the Seamaster). The slab sided Tudors are a thing. I had a Tudor GMT Pro and it went straight back to Sheeran's five days later. And I really like the Tudors.

Whichever you decide on, don't buy blind: try them on.

Where would I get 15/20% off Omega? I feel like of Weirs and Keanes would laugh at me!

They are both lovely watches, I probably will save up for omega as this was my gut instinct once I saw it.

The poster is buying in the UK(or at least appears to be) and there's still a degree of haggling over there as it's a bigger market. If I were dropping 3k+ on a watch? I'm at the point now where a day trip to London is more palatable than dealing with Irish ADs

That's mad, I got the impression that Omega/Bucherer/Watches of Switzerland would tell me to piss off if I asked for a discount. Ideally I would like to purchase in euro.

No they won’t, it’s gone back to the old days in the U.K. for haggling, you will save money popping over for a day out 100% like @banie01 mentioned and if you use a Revolut card you get the best exchange rate too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I couldn’t get on with the older larger Black Bays, but you’re the first person (owner) I’ve come across who said the Pro was an issue. I’ve one myself and find it infinitely more wearable than say my Seamaster. And thickness is something I can no longer tolerate which my g shocks will attest to.

• Advertisement

I don’t find my bb pro any worse than the other Tudors but that said I’m definitely past tolerating thick watches particularly when there is no reason for it.Panerai fine,it’s supposed to be a chunky watch but the bb pro proportions don’t make sense 39mm and 15mm thick.Its only a gmt movement ,there’s no reason for the thickness.The regular bb gmt is same thickness but at least the width helps balance it out.

Advertisement