Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are people's reactions to today's proposed speed limit changes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Air Crash Investigation is one of my favourite programmes and having talked to a couple of commercial airline pilots about it, it is factual and based on actual investigations. The human factors are very interesting and some would be applicable to road fatalities. Was the driver sleep deprived due to work patterns? Were they stressed at work? Family problems? Mental health difficulties? Maybe this is covered in inquests , if it is it requires some digging to find. If we are serious about reducing "tragic accidents" this information needs to be out in the open.

We know that Jacob Veldhuyzen van Zanten's impatience was a major factor in the deaths of 583 people at Tenerife airport. Similar human weakness could see a driver overtaking into fog when he can't see and causing multiple fatalities because he's late for work, will be docked money and not be able to pay his rent etc.

-

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Exactly. Often the impetus to keep going in circumstances where you need to exercise your better judgement just takes hold. Air safety has been transformed in so many parts of the world because of the culture of investigation & publication. Interestingly Putin sacked the head of air accident investigations in Russia because he was doing far too good a job, he was probing way too much and of course we now know why Putin didn’t want someone with that independent mindset in a place of power.

Every non-rogue country has its own site for publication of air accident reports, not sure about any such thing in non-public transport road accident reports anywhere 🤔

UK has some very useful data analysis for road traffic accidents

Victoria, Australia, has a system where you pay to apply for a detailed road accident report

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I said in another thread that I have noticed an increase of kids not in proper seats.

I'm 4'11" so I'm in a good position to tell if a child should be in a child seat or not. The amount of kids smaller than me just getting into the backseat and some even in the front seat is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can't see ireland ever publishing proper investigations of car fatalities into the public domain, where we will be able to see exactly who was at fault.

Too often it would go totally against the media reports about how great a person X was, how much they did for their local gaa team etc.

Can you really ever see it being reported that X was driving 30km/h over the speed limit, in the pouring rain, with 2 bald tyres, and managed to crash into a wall? Can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Some investigations are unable to establish blame, the evidence just doesn't exist.

But the case reports from the Coroner's Court are available for all to see. They aren't concerned with a cult of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The amount of young racing in cars and tractors is increasing, with 2 to 3 not even 14 or 16 year olds in tractors

I'd be for increasing the driving age to 21 for cars and 18 for tractors and if caught dangerous driving then a long time ban, speeding and no seat belts, fines and bans, drunk and drug driving, bans

There is many with multiple offences still driving

Enforcement is most definitely needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In the last couple of days there have been two separate hit and runs with one pedestrian killed. Leaving the scene when you've hit a pedestrian is a scummy thing to do. I wonder how many aspects of road traffic legislation the driver was not complying with.

Then there was the incident in Mayo where a car with a 20 year old and 16 year old was in collision with a train at a level crossing at 3:30 pm. Not sure if this is recorded as a road incident or a rail incident or both but in any case - this seems to be the location. It took some doing to not see a train here. But but but SPEEDING

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.7234592,-8.9233731,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHTsMegigwha5CjsDCO49lA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I live in a rural area, not on a boreen where even those with a small bit of sense slow down, but on a twisting 80kph 'R' road. The surface is smooth as a pool table which encourages speed, the hedges are overgrown reducing visibility and giving pedestrians and cyclists nowhere to go.

This road has been either 80kph or 50mph all my life. Even with the onset of huge farm machinery over the last 20/30 years, it hasn't been a major safety issue. Even 10 years ago, walking into town on it wouldn't cross me a thought and I used to cycle on it during lockdown.

Nowadays, I wouldn't walk or cycle on it unless I was stuck for a lift and had no other option. In the recent years, what I can only describe as rallying has started happened in the area. Cars with loud exhausts being absolutely flogged at full pelt can be heard from at all hours of the day and night. A nearby crossroad is continously covered in tyre skids from lads doing donuts, I've often heard this going on at 3pm, never mind 3am. There's a daily roar of engines blasting through the townsland at what must be at least 100kph, day and night.

Who are these people and where did they come from? They are the Gen Z sons (not too many daughters let's be honest) of local people, going to and from GAA training, commuting to and from work and travelling to the pubs and clubs on the weekend. I can guarantee you some new roadsigns won't affect them. Nothing but increased checkpoints will solve this. And a long term plan for changing the culture.

But of course Leo et Al won't worry about that. Just look busy, get re-elected and punish law abiding road users by forcing them to drive at a snail's pace, causing more accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Broadly welcome a revision downwards to reflect the limitations of the roads.

More attention should be paid to engineering solutions to improve junctions etc.

This is just a suggestion of limits.

Motorways 120

N roads and Regional roads with hard shoulder 100 . Without hard shoulder 80.

Local roads 60

Lanes 50

Main routes in Towns/Cities 50 or 60 depending on road design.

Town/City centres 30

Residential estates 30

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nowadays, I wouldn't walk or cycle on it unless I was stuck for a lift and had no other option. In the recent years, what I can only describe as rallying has started happened in the area. Cars with loud exhausts being absolutely flogged at full pelt can be heard from at all hours of the day and night. A nearby crossroad is continously covered in tyre skids from lads doing donuts, I've often heard this going on at 3pm, never mind 3am. There's a daily roar of engines blasting through the townsland at what must be at least 100kph, day and night.

i was in carndonagh for a funeral a year or so ago, and the amount of shithousery the local petrolheads were pulling in the town was astounding; there was a car rally the likes of which would have the army deployed if it happened in dublin - lads in bananas loud souped up cars revving around the town centre, doing burnouts etc., and keeping the entire place awake till the small hours. i didn't see it, but i was told there was a lad there with a souped up tractor. i think the nearest full time garda station is buncrana, which is 20 minutes away but at no point did we see any garda presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The roads are getting more and more lawless these days and the complete lack of Garda presence is 90% of the issue.

People on mobile phones, slow drivers who aren't fit to drive a car holding up 10s of cars and inevitably leading to dangerous overtaking manoeuvres, clowns running red lights, drivers not paying attention to what lane they're meant to be and cutting in last second, I could go on. It's like the wild west out there.

What % of road fatalities is speed a contributing factor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not saying any of them were speeding related - i simply don't know; but we've started the new year with 5 fatalities already, and the 5th day is not even done with yet. that's a shocking start.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

We are never told the actual cause of a road death I.e speeding, vehicle fault etc. A few years ago there was a road death in my home place. Car went off road in middle of place, mounted footpath and crashed into a house. Driver died, but nobody else involved thankfully. Turns he had a heart attack when the incident occurred. It still is classed as a road death. It is like the Covid Death stats. Only person that I know who died from Covid was a 60 a day smoker who had wrecked his lungs from smoking, but hey when he got Covid it killed him.Ergo it is a Covid Death.

it has now reached six fatalities, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes but I tend to agree with Tippman above

What are the causes of the crashes/accidents/fatalities?

Yes speed kills but perhaps so do drugs, suicidal tendencies, drug driving, lack of adequate policing

Perhaps the answer isn't lower speed limits ...

A common phrase I hear is "its multi factorial" which makes sense....

It would also make sense then that perhaps the solution should be multi factorial and perhaps another reduction in speed limits isn't the best or even desirable approach if reducing fatalities is the goal....

Maybe too many young unaccompanied drivers are wandering around, maybe its a lot of untrained older drivers, perhaps drivers at a lotbof accidents are found to have drugs in their system, perhaps if they were investigated some of the single vehicle single occupant fatalities/crashes shouldn't be taken into account when coming up with policy, perhaps enforcing the existing rules with an increased garda presence would work much better than limits that are perceived to be unrealistic by some

If its multifactorial...let's hear the factors, geat an unbiased impartail breakdown of all the fatalities or categories if peoples identity is in danger of being revealed and design a solution based on that

I could be wrong but I suspect lowering limits might not be all that effective when one got the nitty gritty on the causes of each fatality

Let's also get a comparison per head of population or something to level the playing field with other developed European countries to see how out of kilter we are ....and a comparison of police presence/enforcement on their roads

And a comparison on what their insurance costs are like and ehy while we are at it

And a comparison of how much their road safety quangos are funded etc etc...

Also have to take into account pedestrians.

According to RTE 44 of last year's 184 deaths were pedestrians...that's close to 24%!

From top of my head there were a couple of deaths from people walking on the motorway....I don't think it was because their car broke down and they were trying to get help either!

Some country roads are absolutely lethal for having no footpaths. However there's still a lot of pedestrians that think going walking at night in all black is a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Agreed, it is pedestrians who are at fault for these awful statistics. If you need proof just listen to the message the RSA is sending time and time again.

• Advertisement

Don't know how it can be ruled as accidental death.

If you get behind the wheel high on drugs and alcohol it's murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I have family up in Inishowen and the attitudes to driving up there beggar belief, from all ages, not just young lads. It's not speeding, it's pure carelessness/not giving a fcuk about car maintenance, being insured etc. Dropping speed limits will do nothing to such attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

This round of GP rule, (yes rule, because the tail wagged the very SF worried dog) has baked in some almost irreversible negative change for the citizens of this country.

Congratulations, - you facilitated that. We warned you but you knew better.

No crocodile tears now...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The infantile focus on catching people speeding on mostly wide national road and motorways will do nothing to stop road deaths or reduce them from the current level. Look at the fatal crashes - would a speed camera van in the locations they always put them or a random lower speed limit have stopped many of them?

The speed cameras are pretty much the easiest thing to be seen doing, that happens to earn a few quid to offset the effort

the worst thing about the gosafe vans is that they operate at a loss for the state IIRC and are counterproductive (IMHO). but we were probably through all that earlier in the thread.

anyway, there's effectively no such thing as a speed limit in this country as your chances of being caught speeding are effectively nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Every time there's a national slow down day they release a report along the lines of

"GoSafe vans recorded 325,752 motorists and have issued 829 fines"

Now, even taking into account some motorists might be aware it's a national slow down day and are keeping an eye out for vans, and taking into account many rural motorists know the regular spots, there is no way in hell circa only 1 in 350 motorists who go past a van were speeding.

1 in 3 might be more on the money.

Are the GoSafe vans ridiciliously unreliable for getting a reading or what's the story?

Signed,

Someone who has sped past at least four of them, and is waiting by the letterbox to see if I was snapped on Stephens Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Roads have a lot more traffic now than I'd say just 10 years ago. Also has to be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Yet road deaths are lower than 10 years ago.

In fact despite more cars and more people they're lower than at pretty much any point in our history, same as crime.

• Advertisement

Are the GoSafe vans ridiciliously unreliable for getting a reading or what's the story?

AFAIK you need to be within approx 40m of them for them to capture you; and by the fact that they are explicitly designed to be as visible as possible, that gives you plenty of time to slow down when you see them.

in theory, they're a visual deterrent. what this means is that if you can't see one, it's 'safe' to speed. if they wanted go-safe vans to be effective, they should be disgusing them as carpet fitter vans or plumber's vans.

Advertisement