Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Also don't understand why he wouldn't just wear scuba gear!

Overall an excellent documentary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

No scuba gear because you get the bends if you scuba that deep and come up that fast. It says it in the doc

Ok but he didn't need to come up fast all he needed was to be on that rope when she came through, he wasn't.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

It also says in the film that the most dangerous part of surfacing is the last 10m since your lungs expand back out the most there, and so pulls most the oxygen back from your blood, hence more likely to black out

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Notice how much more of an effort the PSNI put in when the victim was a German and not Roman Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Next tuesday 31st as part of the Storyville series, BBC4 will repeat a delightful documentary about the Truffle Hunters of Piedmont.

Also on 31st on Sky Arts for Halloween there is documentary Dracula Unearthed focusing on representations of the iconic character on screen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

First episode was on last night Sky Documentaries very good, both episodes available on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Heard an ad for that and thought it sounded pretty tabloidy - I think the six killings are fairly widely acknowledged to be unrelated so I don't understand the premise of grouping them together on the basis that there was once a theory that they may have been related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

I've only watched the first episode & didn't find it tabloidy & they mention that 3 of the cases the Gardai know who the murderers are & the victims knew their murderer but the Gardai can't prove it

Watched The Football Fraudster doc, worth a watch, conman taking people's money I find fascinating, amazing the neck they have.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Watch The Hidden Hand on YouTube about British Army and govt collusion in the bombings in the south of Ireland in the 70s. It originally aired on British TV thirty years ago.

And on that note.

Documentary on psyops in NI during The Troubles.

Fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watching the lockerbie doc on sky currently 4 episodes in total, on episode 2 it is extremely well done, highly recommend it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's very good, I had always thought the case against the 2 Libyan men was watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Murdered: Baby On The Beach, C4 have it on their online offering, I believe it may have been also on Virgin TV originally.

It's about the Kerry babies trial. RTÉ have so much to answer for still bankrolling those directly involved in the case decades later for crime analysis, so much for Truth Matters and the organisation promoting itself to living on 99 Wokeville Avenue when it feels like it, seems that only applies to their own employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Really enjoyed the Ronnie OSullivan doc.

Watched the Sly, Arnie, Rooney and Beckham ones too and theyre all shite. Like a Hello mag interview in documentary form. Never good when the subject leads the movie.

Stasi FC on Sky Documentaries is very good - it is a once off 90 minute documentary.

It covers how the Stasi took over soccer in East Germany in the 1980s, taking out the competition on and off the pitch.

Escaping Twin Flames on Netflix is worth a watch. 3 episodes.

Typical Netflix doc where reality is stranger than fiction, absolutely bizarre stuff which gets more odd as it goes along.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've not seen enough WWII documentaries.

World War II: From the Frontlines on Netflix. The restored footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Watched the first episode today and it's superb. The quality of the footage makes it feel like a movie sometimes. Excellent tv and can't wait for the next one

The Met documentary series on the BBC is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

A doc on life in Hoxton in London filmed over 3 years from 2015 to 2018

Locals are candid about gentrification, Brexit, ageing, in an area being rapidly altered by outside investors, development and modern society changing

On Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Deepest Breath is excellent.

Ken Burns documentaries on American history are always top notch.

Sky Documentaries are repeating The Vietnam War (starting today) and next week is his masterpiece series on the Civil War.

BBC4 as part of Storyville will air first part of The Great American Buffalo on Tuesday 9th, which seems to be a new one.

Loved the BBC doc Caroline Aherne:queen of comedy.

The royle family is one of my faves, but covers other parts of her career, doesnt shy away from tough periods of her life, an amazing talent gone far too soon.

I knew she was extremely intelligent but didn't know her IQ was higher that Stephen Hawking!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm a big fan of Louis Theroux and all his BBC shows over the years.

Been catching up on a lot of the older ones I had missed over the years on the bbc player, and discovered his more recent interviews with Anthony Joshua, Stormy and Pete Doherty.

Never knew much about Stormzy, but came across as a real nice guy and likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Where did u find his old docs? Love LT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,705 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I suppose Inside the Factory is a sort of documentary. On 03 January 2024 9 pm BBC Two, Gregg Wallace is inside the Jelly Bean Factory in Dublin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001txwp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pretty annoying that it took nearly two years for Q: Into the Storm to make its way from HBO to Sky Documentaries and I was tempted to give it a miss as a result. Glad I didn't as I thought it was excellent.

Advertisement