Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary recommendation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BBC Iplayer is a great place for them.

There's a channel, where it just plays his original old series on a loop. Some great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Watched Tower, a mostly-animated documentary film about the 1966 shootings at the University of Texas. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just finished American Nightmare on netflix...absolutely bonkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Greatest Night in Pop.

The story behind the US's answer to Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lover, Stalker, Killer on Netflix is very good. Typical Netflix doc where the story is completely nuts. 1 episode roughly 90 minutes or so so it's not drawn out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That was great. So good that it wasn't ground out over multiple episodes as is the norm. Honestly couldn't peel my eyes away for the 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Space shuttle doc was decent

7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Starting tonight, FDR (Sky History/Now, 9pm), a three part drama documentary on the 32nd President of the US, and how he overcome setbacks such as polio to reach the White House.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Watched new doc, "can I tell you a secret?" Very solid doc only two episodes, social media really is a pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭LilacNails

• Advertisement

Channel 4 have a doc called The Push:Murder on the cliff. Two parts, excellent if heart breaking watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I liked The Jury: Murder Trial too, was on C4 last week, basically they replicated a real life murder case from a few years ago using 2 seperate jury teams to see if they would come out with the same outcome given access to the very same evidence and additionally would it match what the outcome was in the real case. It was really interesting to see how certain people in each jury were able to influence more the outcome to match their own opinion, nearly like it was some kind of game that if they could get everyone to match them they had personally achieved something. I was a real life juror a couple of years back and noticed the very same thing, some had formed their opinion on the case without any analysis in the first hour and wouldn't listen to the sensible opinions of the rest of us.

Never heard of this story, very interesting and well done doc, the internet/social media really can be seriously dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I watched this last night. It take me incredibly angry. I totally agree re the danger of the internet. There are some seriously damaged people out there that shouldn't be on this earth. I totally despise conspiracy theorists.

Sabine McNeill in particular what a vile, nasty, disgusting person, 4 years in prison and still won't apologize. The poison literally dripped from her when being interviewed. The American was a tosser too, doubt he believed a word of it but saw dollar signs.

I'd say we only know tip of the iceberg of what those two kids were subjected to by their mother and her new man. Maybe that's where Sabine and those loopers should concentrate their rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Rise and fall of boris Johnson was a good first episode

Murder at first swipe is a very good documentary on Amazon prime.

There is also an excellent TV show drama called Four Lives based on the same case (with Stephen Merchant and Sheridan Smith).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

That was a shocking case - the London Met royally fcked up/didn't give a fck.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Agree. Those two I hated.

Along with that other pair that did a runner and that are still blogging about it. F*cking lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched one called Killing Gaza, about the after effects of the 2014 war.

Harrowing stuff. You really get to see that Gazans aren't really living, just surviving. And this war is worse, so can only imagine what it's like there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

20 Days in Mariupol is very good albeit very difficult to watch in parts.

Forensics : the real CSI is a really well done BBC one. It shows you the amount of leg work that has to go into an investigation, it doesn't glamorise it.

Season 4 is on at the minute, others on iplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’ve not long finished it - the family of the killer are vile! I don’t think I’ve ever been more impressed with a human than I am with the girl’s mother - amazing, wishing her and the family the strength to continue their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Four Lives is heartbreaking to watch but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Patriots Dynasty on Apple is decent.

To update I watched episode one of season 4 it was grim.

The man got of very very lightly, neighbours complained about an argument and evidence of blunt force trauma to victim, broken jaw and missing teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BBC4 will be repeating the excellent Ken Burns documentary series Hemmingway, starting Sunday 24th March.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is it from the point of view of a huge fan or is it unbiased ?

I'm very interested in that time period in regards to journalism including Hemmingway but the man was a complete knob so I can't be taking any fawning over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Just watched The Program: Cons, Cults, and Kidnapping on Netflix and it was an eye opener. If anyone remembers the American shows like Dr. Phil or Sally Jesse & the like & remembers the "troubled teens" being carted off to facilities to sort out their issues, it's about what actually happened there. The documentary is done by a woman who was in one of the facilities and it is really well done. Would highly recommend even though its a difficult watch.

Advertisement