Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

⚠️ Very unsettled spell of weather associated with Storm Gerrit Weds 27 /Thurs 28 Dec 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Some violent storm force winds going into clare and Galway for 7 and 8pm perhaps Galway shouldn't have been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

6pm:

Sherkin Island gusting 54 knots (100 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It is wild in Cork, wind whistling down the chimney

Stronger signs of another storm on Saturday and if this pulls off it will be storm Isha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The centre of every storm this year has passed directly over mayo,

so strange to see all the plants in the garden preserved in their autumnal state.

seems an age since we had a storm here.

forgotten what wind almost sounds like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunderstorm moving on to the West Cork coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I think I saw a white flash of lightning west of the city...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rough night here in Kerry , heavy showers ongoing and wind is picking up all the time. Latest guidance showing for kerry very windy for the next 5 or 6 hrs .

I see new ESB faults been reported between Clonakilty and Kinsale , a fair sized storm in the area. Is that a hook I wonder on the end of the rainfall echo?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cork city. I saw what I think was lighting to the south of the city. It’s what it looks like anyway a minute or two ago.

just saw it again. No thunder that I could hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Peak wind gusts are 3-4 hours away, UK buoy west of Kerry shows gusts to 111 km/hr (18z), but I don't expect much of an increase, so perhaps 5 kt higher than yet-to-be-reported 19z gusts by 2200h - midnight.

Saturday, slight upgrade on European and slight downgrade on GFS, still a concern.

• Advertisement

Okay no doubt any more. Massive flash of lighting looking towards the south side of cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If I look to the west in cork city, can see the sky just about flashing every so often. Wonder will it move towards us

edit: highly unlikely. However I can physically see the two different pressure areas I’m assuming? Clouds are heading south in the wind, and then when I look towards the direction of the lightning, a large cloud bank is moving eastwards, most likely these two areas colliding?

edit 2: also hearing very strong winds, but it seems like the sound is coming from high up in the sky?

It’s to the south of the city also, and cork safety is retweeting people saying there’s lightning in carrigaline, Douglas, east cork, and you’ve said it’s west of the city. So it doesn’t seem to moving towards to city itself, but to the south.

7pm

Roaches Point gusting 55 knots in "heavy rain"

Meanwhile Belmullet living a charmed life with just 2 knots of wind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Massive flash of lightning over Tuam a few mins ago. Knocked off power for a few seconds.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Unbelievably close thunder and lightning in Tuam. That was scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Literally shook the house here. Never heard anything like it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Heavy rain and can hear thunder in waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Power cut now here near Tuam, heavy squally showers passing through and wind is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Another for the thunder a short while ago in Tuam, never heard thunder like that before, scary loud!!!

Plenty of lightning to the south east. Snow over the wicklow mountains as well

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

I can see the lightning from here in Arklow, the heaviest appears to be heading NE off shore though,away from me

Must be some light show!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Can see more frequent lightning now,raining moderately with wind gusting to 60kmh WSW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nice lightening display on Waterford coast the last hour. Wind was very strong between 6.30 and 7 and of course no 7 p.m report from Waterford Airport. 40knts most recent report.

Advertisement