Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

⚠️ Very unsettled spell of weather associated with Storm Gerrit Weds 27 /Thurs 28 Dec 2023

Options
  • 26-12-2023 12:44am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭

GFS 128Z very much an upgrade with very strong winds early Weds Morning, and again early Weds evening and later in the night into early Thursday from a very complex area of LP's riding along a very fast Jet with fast forming waves producing quick moving sharp systems packing a punch into Ireland. Expect changes to track and strengths over the coming runs, was looking at comments online about how there may not be a lot of observations being carried out atm due to the holidays with less balloons being launched etc. so this could sneak up on us so, was thinking no harm to give it its own thread to watch for Storm potential, grand if doesn't reach storm status, will still be a rough couple of days from heavy rainfall and strong winds and very high tides.

ECM something similar

Again I stress it might not reach storm status but worth keeping an eye and will be an interest to see what MT and others have to say.

Met Eireann

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Galway, Wexford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thundery and blustery rain, leading to localised flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Tuesday 26/12/2023 to 06:00 Wednesday 27/12/2023

Issued: 18:59 Monday 25/12/2023

Can edit the thread title as a clearer picture unfolds.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Storm Gerrit

Status Yellow - Wind and Rain warning for Ireland

Heavy rain overnight (Tuesday), followed by heavy showers tomorrow (Wednesday), may lead to localised flooding.

Strong southerly winds overnight, veering southwesterly tomorrow, in conjunction with spring tides, may lead to coastal flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Tuesday 26/12/2023 to 00:00 Thursday 28/12/2023

Issued: 10:51 Tuesday 26/12/2023

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Office named the storm, looks like they will have more impacts there especially West Scotland and W midlands and Wales. Early Thurs morning might be the strongest winds overland in Ireland, will need to keep an eye on it. So far not major winds but combined with heavy rain and high tides gives it more of an impact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Kerry, West Cork

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very heavy rain overnight (Tuesday), followed by intense heavy showers tomorrow (Wednesday). Localised flooding is possible.
    • Valid: 20:00 Tuesday 26/12/2023 to 00:00 Thursday 28/12/2023
    • Issued: 11:50 Tuesday 26/12/2023

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Kerry, West Cork

Very heavy rain overnight (Tuesday), followed by intense heavy showers tomorrow (Wednesday). Localised flooding is possible.

Valid: 20:00 Tuesday 26/12/2023 to 00:00 Thursday 28/12/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This is not good. I usually take a day to myself on slea head with my camera this time of year.

Have we any idea what the better day will be,?

• Advertisement

After the heavy frontal rain goes through cold air being dragged in behind creating the environment for a lot of convection giving hail and thunderstorms along the W and SW and S and later in the Irish sea. Some might move a bit inland. Wintry showers also and might be seeing a dusting of white on mountains caps by Thurs morning more so in Northern counties. Feeling much colder than of late. Could get some squally heavy showers , intense as Met Eireann puts it and with all the vorticity and shear available funnels or tornadoes are a low possibility.

Depends on how rough you want to get pictures of the sea state😁 but on Weds after the front goes through should get clear spells with towering clouds rolling in overland, might make for some dramatic shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Car parks in Salthill closing today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Better get the car in quick before they close!

• Advertisement

Galway gone orange now I can see this changing as the hours go on

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Any ideas if the 8 o'clock ferries from Dublin will be cancelled in the morning?

No updates to the contrary on the Ferry websites.

Mace head should get some strong gusts

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway

Very strong westerly winds, coupled with spring tides. Coastal flooding is likely.

Valid: 18:00 Wednesday 27/12/2023 to 06:00 Thursday 28/12/2023

Issued: 15:45 Tuesday 26/12/2023

Well done to MT and the posters on here who mentioned a storm around the 27th last week, I saw no mention on ME last night about a storm I take all my weather from here now way more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just found this now thankfully I did, a week ago was showing this on models but no mention on met eirrean , looking rather rainy than windy here in Ireland tommy but hopefully no tornadoes come with this storm fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I see the orange on met.ie is for Kerry "and west Cork". Is this the first time they have split a county for a warning?

Glad to see this sensible step being taken. Mind you as the screenshot shows they've included all Cork in the map, someone understandably didn't fancy working out where west Cork starts and ends! Bad enough to be working Stephen's day without having to make tricky calls like that....

Nope the last storm was west Galway and summer was south Leitrim for heat , they should go by area not counties

Post edited by Dazler97 on

Well I am lost just watched the forecast and they had storm force winds in the North East yet no orange no mention of storm force winds in the west yet we are under an orange warning for wind wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Just a few drops in Kerry so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Doubt they'd even have the functionality to do that. It's probably just a system where you enter the county name and colour and the map updates as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I noticed tonight that Donnelly said about high winds not confined to warning area's, that they can happen in some isolated area's. Also to just be careful and make your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'm sure if everything said at Met Eireann appeared on a forum you'd see lots of thoughts about possible weather a week away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Latest guidance is upgrading storm potential for Sat 30th into early 31st. That could turn out to be more significant for Ireland than Gerrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing in cork city since around 6pm as well, with lighter rain from around 5

Yes met eirrean pressure charts picking up on this as well I've just noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Well done yet again Meteorite for keeping an eye on things while preparing the Christmas Dinner. These nasty little ripples will kink the isobars giving sudden squally conditions almost anywhere. Not nice for travelling

GFS showing very strong winds overnight into early morning gusting to 80/90 km/h from the South and becoming very windy up along the Eastern side of the country for a time early morning. A break from the strong winds until the afternoon in the SW and later strong winds spreading over the Southern half of the country and perhaps much of Leinster , very strong along coastal areas getting up to 110km/h or so and gusting up to 90km/h overland, easing for a time later Weds night/ early Thurs morning in the E but more strong winds gusting 80/90km/h set to cross the country from the W in the early hours then remaining quite windy on Thurs gusting up around 80km/h on coasts and gusting up around 70km/h overland. To note there will be convective squally showers so some localized areas could get very strong downdraughts .

• Advertisement

AROME / ARPEGE showing winds gusting up around 100km/h crossing the country tomorrow night and very strong in Kerry/ Clare/ Galway up to 110 or 120km/h along exposed coasts, very strong mean winds around the coasts too and very squally convective showers crossing the country, could see some squall line like features/ straight line winds.

Advertisement