Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14; Russell T Davies Returns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah you mean in the general sense of him returning. I thought you were envisioning a scene of Disney execs being all "we really want a cartoon hammer scene but we know that you're a man of such artistic integrity that it's going to take big money to convince you to go with such a low brow scene. Hey, did that alien just fart?" 🙂

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Anyway, got round to watching the episode in full earlier and griping about the silly scenes aside, the episode as a whole is very good imo. The Disney budget really shows in bringing the Toymaker world to life. Stakes felt a lot more epic than the previous two episodes which were just "grand". Neil Patrick Harris is a joy. And for the most part, the character stuff between 14 and Donna is done well. A shame Cribbons wasn't well enough to shoot the final scene.

Couple of funny bits I liked. Donna's reaction to meeting the 15th Doctor: "They come in a range of colours now!". Good to see that RTD can still make a fun joke of it without being completely OTT on the SJW front like he was with 13th-14th Doctor costume and Davros/wheelchair.

I enjoyed Kate Stewart's remarks towards Shirley Anne Bingham regarding seeing her walk sometimes because they reminded me of this idiot I saw being roasted on Twitter recently: https://twitter.com/MelinaVader/status/1728893080647107053/photo/1

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I've really enjoyed these last 3 episodes. Fantastic to see DT back again and I think his acting has been spectacular. NPH was great as the Toymaker but my only teeny niggle was the ball game and how he lost. He had proved before that he was very adept at juggling so I don't know how he just dropped the ball. I think there was a missed opportunity there to ram home the message behind the 3 episodes - that family and community are vital and important for a person. And that the community is stronger together than apart. So I expected to see 14 and 15 join up to both throw at the same time which would be more plausible than him just missing the catch. But regardless, all 3 episodes were great and more enjoyable than the entirety of Whitaker's run (sadly for her).

That Goblin King song from the Christmas special is creepy AF. Catchy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What's with him dancing in a skirt in a nightclub - seems a bit weird for the Doctor or are they going full gay Doctor or something, guess we will have to wait and see

• Advertisement

Skirt or kilt? The actor is Scottish as well as gay. Though he did call 14 "Honey" so I guess they're going to lean into that side of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's ironic as well considering Moffat writing under RTD actively avoided anyone dying. Empty child ended with no kill count, the angels just sent you back in time initially and River et al were 'saved' in the library. He sure as **** compensated for it when he got in the hot seat.

Not sure why the bi-generation business was necessary when the same could've been accomplished with a bit of timey-wimey shenanigans. Not against it and really loving Ncuti's energy, but I'm finding it hard not to feel like there's going to be a 14 shaped cloud over 15 until the matter is addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

All I was thinking when Mel and Donna were holding his hands was how many times has he caused destruction due to his regeneration so was pretty dangerous.

Same here, was expecting crispy fried companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

Was thinking the same, but classic regeneration where very tame. Shared a clip earlier of other regeneration's.

"Never ever tell me the rules"

Breaking the Rules of Regeneration | Doctor Who | The Time of the Doctor

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So im finally all caught up

Wild Blue Yonder

Really enjoyed this one, felt like a classic WHO episode. Villains were great, idea was great, yes its been done before, bits here and there from other episodes, got a 'Midnight' vibe from it. Really nice just having the Doctor and a Companion off on an adventure. Also liked how they managed the conclusion and solve the problem. Great to see Wilf again!! No idea how they managed to film that!

The Giggle

Toymaker -excellent character and well acted. Great new bad guy, but hopefully not overused like the Master. Didnt enjoy this as much as WBY, but still a very good episode. Can see where the Disney budget is going, but the UNIT HQ had a real Tony Stark HQ feel to it. Bi-Generation really makes zero sense. But what of Doctor Who actually makes sense? Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey. I know they are going overboard trying to please everyone about inclusivity. But wheelchair ramps on the Tardis -seemed cringy.

The New Doc - Going to take a bit of time to warm up to this one. Too much of a Sex Ed bang off him at the moment (just so used to see him act in that role, will take time to adjust) Maybe someday he will get pants.

Edit: Forgot to mention, they can fcuk off right now with another Master incarnation, that character needs a rest for a few seasons.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

So who lifted the tooth at the end, and were they flying considering where it was?

Post edited by corkie on

Is it just me or are there way more teeth than in a normal human mouth in that picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Master's gotten a sorry reputation of returning before we've had a chance to miss the character. Granted, it doesn't help that Missy had such a complete and involving arc that anything thereafter is either going to feel tired and/or redundant. Dhawan was tremendous and all, but still.

Watching the final season of Doom Patrol with Michelle Gomez just made me think if we can get Tennant back, why can't we get her back as well?

I forgot she popped up in that. It's on my Xmas finish list

Gomez was my sole reason for watching "Chilling adventures of Sabrina"

She needs more work where she can play characters like those.

Started watching the video for that Goblin Song but then turned it off as it looks to be part of the Christmas episode so I'll just wat for it then.

• Advertisement

Christmas special clip https://youtu.be/PxH2xTBV43s?si=JuUGIQA2uYYHeOwB

I think we're going to need subtitles for both the new Doctor and the new companion. Had to replay it several times to figure out what they were saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've gotten to the stage where I watch all of my TV shows with subtitles on

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Yeah that was basically impossible to understand - the music didn't help

Sorry for not posting a warning about the 'Goblin Song' been a part of the Xmas episode.

Be-careful reading stuff on line because: -

The entire story for this month's Christmas Special is out there if you go looking, and while it's best to take this latest with a pinch of salt, we have good reason to believe it could be legitimate. Why? Well, the leaker in question was right about a lot of what we saw in "The Star Beast," "Wild Blue Yonder," and "The Giggle." ~~ + More spoilers for Ncuti ERA in this article.

Been nostalgia browsing the original Tennant era on Youtube and only just learned that the song in this scene is an original Murray Gold number composed specially for the scene rather than an off the shelf number. One of my favourite scenes from the area. Especially love the look Tennant gives his new face in the mirror like "yeah, this can work".

"Look to your left"

"I think it's a political statement"

To think we may not have had Tate back as a companion, if Carey Mulligan had accepted a longer role.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

"Merry Christmas Davina McCall"

I don't know why but somehow I just got "somehow Palpatine returned" levels of cringe 🙈

Well that was very Disney-esque, still very much enjoyable though, good impressions for the new Doctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Haven't seen the episode but saw somewhere GB News going crazy about the new woke Doctor who (could not read it as you have to pay for it!!! GB News!!) So that's makes it a win fir me

Advertisement