Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat Your Way Around Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sprezzatura Camden Street.

Sprezzatura was mega buzzy... A mixture of families, cool hipsters and tourists. I'm guessing the mix is because everyone appreciates hand-made pasta, great ingredients and oddly non-Dublin low prices.

We had three small plates, four drinks, four pasta dishes and one desert for 88 euro (Rounded up to 100 with a tip). That's good value for a restaurant that is considered one of the best Italians in Dublin right now.

We cook a lot, and if I'm honest the chicken milanese and arrancini were no better than what we would make at home ourselves, but I think these will appeal to a lot of people, they're crowd pleasers. The arrabiata with the arrancini could have been spicier.

The other small plate we got was a buffalo mozzarella served with a kind of pancetta, and that was the stand-out of the small plates, really really good for the price considering it was Toonsbridge.

Pasta-wise we had a Jane Russell sausage and fennel with tagliatelle (Unexpectedly spicy, it was objectively too hot and I was the only one who really enjoyed this), a mushroom tagliatelle (Supposed to have a blue cheese and mushroom ragu but there was very little blue cheese evident), a 10 hour beef cheek (Excellent, probably the best) and a salmon and radiator pasta (Fine).

Very small but fun wine list. I only recall the red, but you have a choice on tap of a beaujolais, a primitvio, a house red and a rioja.

The wait staff were friendly and "ok". They are the type of cool college students who, when you ask them for something, seem to suddenly remember they are working as wait staff, and look faintly surprised to be there. But great attitudes and no slip ups other than a bit inattentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Hakkahan in Stoneybatter village.

I think this is going to become known as one of the best value Chinese restaurants in Dublin in the coming years. Specifically, this is Sichuan style cooking. I'm not sure how it will overcome its rather humble interior, and limited seating, but when you go in here you are getting food that is freshly prepared, with high quality ingredients, like silverhill duck. From talking to the staff, it seems their "thing" is that they're doing all the prep fresh and daily, and avoiding using 'bought in' products like other Chinese restaurants tend to do.

The menu is more compact than the generic Irish Chinese restaurant as a result, and although it contains recognisable 'favourites' such as sweet and sour chicken, and varieties of dumplings, they are executed to a particularly high standard. You'll also find dishes which are a tiny bit more challenging for some, like sliced beef shortrib (bone in) and whole scallop dumplings.

The head chef is ex China Sichuan, which is probably the best "high end" Chinese restaurant in Ireland*, and all I can say is if Hakkahan keep delivering food of this standard I would struggle to go back into some of the Capel Street Chinese restaurants I would previously have frequented.

Hopefully in time, in addition to the Cantonese style dumpling and duck places we've got, and the few places doing Sichuan cooking, we get places offering other regional styles.

*I'm not counting the likes of Hang Dai which feels very westernised, albeit it's super in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sherwood Lane, Celbridge.

I was absolutely gutted when Canteen shut down and James Sheridan and Soizic Humbert moved in to work in the Marlin hotel, it was the first decent restaurant in Celbridge - where I live - in pretty much forever. I hear they're doing well in the new place (no surprise, Canteen was of serious quality). In Feb/March 2020, Sherwood Lane was due to open on the previous premises on the main street, only to be shot in the face by Covid restrictions. They did takeout for a while, which I sampled twice - and each time it was nice, without being very good. It was grand, I suppose. Pricey, though.

Anyway, fast forward two years and they're back open as a regular restaurant, and I've been there twice. Good to see them busy as they really got f*cked by the restrictions in terms of timing, reservations should probably be made at least a few days in advance. As before, it's the only decent restaurant in Celbridge (with all respect to the long serving but mediocre-good Italian Michaelangelos) with a varied-ish menu that's simultaneously familar and a little different. It's not outrageously inventive, but it's got enough of a change to make it interesting, yet not enough to make you feel you're in somewhere genuinely innovative.

That being said, everything I've ordered may be relatively simple, but it is cooked very very well. My partner's chicken wings were covered in tasty sauce, but nevertheless managed to keep their crispiness - rare to see. My garlic prawns were large and perfectly softly cooked in a genuinely delicious garlic/wine sauce that had me ask for a spoon from the waiter to finish it off. My steak did lack seasoning - there was literally none on it, nor was there salt/pepper on the table - but it was rare just as I asked and very tender. Partner got the Vietnamese salad with scallops (for the second time) and loved it so much she got a doggie bag for the ends.

Previously I visited with a party of four. I got a venison special (the other specials were black sole and halibut) which was again excellent without being to previous Canteen standard, relatively straightforward but still presented and ate very well. Others at the table had the mozzarella/tomato salad and the jerusalen artichoke pasta. I tried a bit of each - no complaints again - very nice. I had the rabbit terrine - rare is the occasion that I see rabbit on the menu that I don't order it. Pleasantly surprised at both the size of the serving and the quality.

Price for the two of us, two starters, two mains, one desert, two coffees and a bottle of wine (€38) was €139 total, so very reasonable without being cheap.

My overall impression is that they really do pay attention to the produce and how they prepare and serve it. The ingredients seem to be of excellent quality, plating is appealing and each dish seems to have a lot of care and attention given to it. Staff are friendly and attentive without being intrusive, and while I know very little about wine, none of the four different bottles we had, be they red or white, were anything but completely acceptable. It's not the most adventurous place in the world, but it's varied enough of a menu and it's all done to a level of quality that I suspect it doesn't really matter what you order, you'd probably be happy with it.

Popped into Uno Mas for a lunch for two.

During the lockdown (Will we still use phrases like that twenty years from now, and baffle an entire generation, who can't relate?) Uno Mas produced probably my favourite "Dine at home" boxes. Although, it must be said, it was Mrs Black Sheep who did the brunt of the assembly and cooking. The techniques required weren't crazily difficult by any means, but she has the deft touch and experience to serve up plates that looked like they could have come out of Uno Mas' own kitchen.

I had a bone dry glass of manzanilla sherry to start, and away we went.

For snacks, mini croquetas, filled with some kind of well-seasoned cheese filling, and perfectly-cooked octopus la plancha arrived and were hoovered up very quickly.

We hit a slight bump in the road at that point. There was a long wait between courses. Unusually long I would say. Not "they're letting us take our time" / "enjoy the ambience" time / "Just a short delay folks" but a kind of elongated hanging about where everyone's table had wine but not a whole lot of food going on. 'D'you think they're all waiting?' I asked the missus? 'Dunno', she said. Well, they were. So we played the game of seeing food leaving the pass and watching it wind it's way to the relevant table. In fairness, the other diners, mostly retirees or tourists, didn't seem to be against the clock like were, and didn't look bothered at all. Ah, freedom...

Eventually - success... Starters... One of their iconic potato tortillas, and a red snapper and seafood rice, which we shared. I also gained an insight into how Uno Mas manages their perfectly pristine tortillas, while I manage to slop mine about the place at home. Apparently they use two torilla pans to make the flip. That's cheating in my book, but perhaps considering those pans are cheap as chips it is worth investing.

This was followed by a further stagnant period of hanging about and looking at watches.

Eventually: Mains. Lamb for her, and butternut squash agnolotti for me.

Their agnolotti was one of their stand out home dishes, and I was eager to have it at lunch also. I always feel like agnolotti is like a smarter chef's version of ravioli... Ravioli requires two pieces, but agnolotti is just one piece folded. I dig it.

Alas, it was at that point our time ran out, so we had to scarper without having the chance to partake of desert. As my toddler would say: "Sad face".

The waiting aside, excellent service and food. Two drinks, two snacks, two starters and two mains was 140 euro including a 16 euro tip. Considering the execution I would consider it "worth it" and the portion sizes were actually quite a bit bigger than the last time I ate in Uno Mas.

• Advertisement

Great read as always. Do you have a blog or similar where I could binge on all of your restaurant reviews?

No, just on here.

I thought about an Instagram page but I have reservations and it hasn't happened so far.

Instagram stories is good for food reviews. there are some good accounts. For restaurant reviews, I enjoy the write-ups they do on Totally Dublin. They're honest and not paid advertising. Here's one you might appreciate on Uno Mas - https://www.totallydublin.ie/food-drink/restaurants/restaurant-review-come-together-uno-mas/

This is my all time favorite review. Very funny and not far from my experience - https://www.totallydublin.ie/food-drink/restaurants/restaurant-review-the-ivy/

Hah! The review of The Ivy made me laugh.

It’s a funny place, perhaps intended for bankers and brokers entertaining. But even they don’t like it.

I do like Totally Dublin, I don’t know who funds their magazine (Is it just the ads?) but I admire their commitment to focusing on creative stuff in Dublin, sometimes quite out-there stuff in the features.

The Well, St. Stephen's Green.

I've regularly championed the Dublin Pizza Company on Aungier Street. They were slinging out neapolitan style pizzas relatively early on, with leoparded crusts and soft, chewy dough. Now good neapolitan style pizzas are everywhere. I haven't been back to the Dublin Pizza Company lately, but I had sort of imagined they were still putting out pizzas of the same high standard as before.

Last night I ended up going into The Well, on St. Stephen's Green, for a quick pizza, and it was because I thought that Dublin Pizza Company were on-site doing the pizzas.

To make a long story short, it was like something from the 00s, certainly not a neapolitan style pizza topped with the best of Irish ingredients, which is what I've come to expect in recent years.

The base was thin, pretty dry and deflated. No leoparding on the crust. The toppings were 'meh'. I ordered chorizo and although I can't prove that what I got was just whatever bog standard pepperoni they had in the kitchen, I'm pretty sure that's what it was based on the volume and taste of the oil floating on the cheese.

I had this a while back with Neat pizza in Fairview. I got a pizza from them that seemed like it didn't come from them at all, it was much like a Dominos in terms of the state of the base. I politely queried what had happened with one of the owners, and he instantly was able to tell me, from looking at a photo, that whoever made the pizza had used dough that wasn't properly proved.

It's possible that explains the disappointing pizza at The Well last night. The other possibility is that that's the norm their now, which would kind of suggest to me that either the Dublin Pizza Company are no longer on site, or else their quality control has significantly changed when I used to get pizzas from them.

• Advertisement

I see Chapter One and Liath got their second Michelin stars there a few weeks back. Never been to Liath, but I always did like Chapter One. Hopefully it doesn't change what got it there and get too pretentious.

I was in it a few times when it was just Ross Lewis and had one star... And I was in it once when it became Mickael Viljanen @ Chapter One ... It would have been in the same period where the Michelin Inspector visited I guess, and it was awarded the second star.

The short answer to your question is that I think if you went back you would not go away unhappy.

There is no radical change of direction, Ross Lewis' cooking was definitely more traditional than Viljanen, but I don't consider Viljanen's cooking to be particularly "out there" either by the standards of fine dining. No live ants running around the plate or anything.

I've never gone away unhappy from Chapter One, to be fair. Always excellent.

Soup 2, North King Street.

A corner pub converted into a hipster joint offering fried chicken, fries, kimchi, ramen and spice boxes.

It has a pervasive orange lighting and a driving, loud bass soundtrack even at five in the evening. It brought to mind the feeling of being in 777, one of our other favourite restaurants, where at times you feel like it is "Saturday night on the dance floor" no matter what day of the week it is, and what time it is.

Now, that might be divisive, but I like it.

We ordered fried chicken, which came hot and perfectly crisp, a side of fries (House seasoning is nice and spicy) and a mixture of the ramens on offer.

The miso base of the ramens was faultless and the ramen noodles had a nice bite to them. If I was being critical I would say that the pork chashu was a little chewy, but it was still pleasant.

All of the above plus four drinks, and we still got out for 90 euro.

To be honest, The Ramen Bar is still serving up the best ramens in Dublin, but Soup 2 is a place I would go if you want more of a pub experience and a few drinks along with your ramen... The Ramen Bar is much more boring and food-focused in that regard.

Resurrecting this thread since I don't want to put this in the 'what did you eat for dinner' thread (I always assume that thread is for homecooked stuff only).

For a few years I've been aware of Paulista esfiha and pizza on Dorset Street. I have Brazilian friends who seem to get pizza from there every weekend, but I've never taken the plunge until tonight.

The menu is split between 'traditional' and 'Brazilian' pizzas (With a separate 'sweet' pizza section). At first glance you feel like you're looking at a menu that would get a lot of Italians pretty angry, some of it makes Hawaiian pizza look restrained. But when you get right down to it though, a lot of the Brazilian style flavour combinations are not that weird. Smoked sausage, a lot of vegetables, maybe some use of tuna I can't approve of, but none of the combinations are actively revolting.

What does set these pizzas apart is that they go in for seriously dense amounts of toppings. I mean they trowel this stuff on, I ordered a medium size pizza and couldn't finish it. The last time I had this experience was with an authentic Chicago style deep dish pizza.

Paulista has a machine that slow bakes the pizza, probably takes about ten minutes to go through. Front of house is a couple of Brazilian girls who seem to mainly be dealing with an endless stream of Deliveroo drivers. You get the impression 80%+ of their customers are the Brazilian community.

The dough is very soft, a little bready but not unpleasant. It's elastic but firm enough to stand up to the great weight of toppings baked onto it.

Price wise this pizza is not cheap, 21 euro for a medium pizza and a drink. However, that medium pizza could feed two people in my view, which is obviously not the norm in Ireland. The value on offer likely increases if you split a large pizza between a few people.

The question is, though, would I get this style of pizza versus a light, fluffy neapolitan style pizza from the likes of Pi, Sano or Village pizza? To be honest, unless I was a Brazilian pining for the stodgy pizza style of my home country, then... Probably not... Sorry! It's nice, but probably just too heavy.

Great write-up. I've had a takeaway from here before and it's almost misleading to describe them as pizza's, they are basically pies. I got one with about two inches of ham, mozzarella, peas, and boiled egg. I can understand why they are more expensive with the sheer volume of ingredients, they certainly didn't skimp on the ham.

Another thread resurrection, another pizza review...

I've been visiting Bambino, on Stephen Street Lower, semi-regularly and developed a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

They describe themselves as a "NY style slice shop", and sell whole pies, by the slice and also squares by the slice.

So far, so nostalgic-for-my-J1-year....

There's no part of a NY style slice I don't like... The convenience, the fold technique to eat it, the perfect combo of elastic dough and firm mozzarella and fresh tomato...

..But this just isn't it.

A cheese slice kind of looks like a NY style slice, but once you pick it up and begin handling it you realise that it's just not the same. There's actually a cheapness, almost a processed quality, to how real NY slices taste. They're very very easy to eat, including the crust. They're in very casual comfort food territory, and the price reflected it when I last had one.

Bambino's dough is chewier - bordering on tough, like a robust sourdough crust - and intensely flavourful, but it takes the experience to a very different place. The overall quality of the toppings is also several notches up above what you'd get in a normal pizza parlour in NYC, and overall you feel like you're eating a posher version of a NY slice.

Which is ... Well, they're very enjoyable. The ingredient quality is high and the flavour combos work. I particularly recommend the sausage and hot peppers.

On the downside, it seems hit and miss as to whether you get a kind of a crispy slice or one that's on the chewier side, I'm not sure why.

I thought about mentioning price - it's about six euro / six fifty per slice - but to be honest I'm not sure it's unreasonable by Dublin standards. One slice might be a full light meal for a woman, and it's a good sized snack for a guy. Realistically you're going to want two slices as a man, and then you're essentially paying the same price you'd pay for a full pizza in the likes of Pi Pizza down the road, which would be in restaurant surroundings rather than sitting on a high stool eating off a paper plate.

I keep going back, however, must be something about the sausage and hot peppers...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ate here last night. Maybe the biggest mixed bag of a place Ive ever been.

Arancini starters were lovely, the salami was just bog standard Lidl packet salami scattered on a plate, the Jane Russell ragu was decent as was the bucatini amatriciana but the mafaldine with blue cheese and caremelised onions topped with roasted walnuts was one of the worst dishes Ive ever eaten.

The walnuts were whole and not roasted, the onions were raw an there was no blue cheese taste. Pasta was undercooked. Abysmal.

Also the espresso was the worst espresso Ive ever had. Kinda cold and weak. Like a half measure of a **** Americano.

I've been back once or twice since I wrote that review. It's 'grand' as a restaurant but I feel like it's dipped slightly compared to when it opened.

The last time I was there with a group I was quite frustrated in the end because we had a load of drinks, ordered loads of dishes... And then were refused desert because we had hit our 90 minutes... I don't think there was actually anyone waiting to take our table, they are just one of those places that are still enforcing the COVID 90 minute policy - I presume to try to guarantee a few sittings. I really feel like they should have used some common sense and recognised that they could have served us a round of deserts and we would have been gone in about 20 additional minutes, maximum. It was galling to have spent a decent amount and then refused desert on something very arbitrary.

An unrelated topic, but I had a similarly frustrating experience in another restaurant in Dublin lately when I arrived in solo and wanted to sit at a table for two. They would only allow me to sit at a counter space, despite the restaurant being literally empty. It was a "computer says no" moment for the staff, again I could have been served and be gone before even a third of the tables were occupied, but instead I buggered off somewhere else over it.

Went back to Chapter One a few days ago and did the tasting menu with matching wines once more.

I'm a bit jaded with fine dining this year, I used to get so excited by the innovation, the sheer skill and the complexity... knowing even as decent cooks we would never plate this up at home. But as I get older I think I'm struggling with the sheer volume of food you get over 2.5 to 3 hours of eating a tasting menu. People who talk about miserly portions and going home hungry are either not eating tasting menus at all, or must have more expansive and roomy stomachs than I, even as I sail into middle age.

It remains flawless in terms of setting, service and cooking.

I'd quibble that *for my taste* the menu slants too much towards seafood and white wine accompaniments, but this is part and parcel of modern fine dining and modern tastes. It could have been worse... Could have had several plant based courses ..

There was ceviche, salmon roe, some signature smoked eel, caviar and a piece of lightly cooked cod. The sole red wine and meat course was a superb Barolo and Wicklow sika deer.

Overall couldn't fault it, but it felt a bit overly unchanged in some respects to previous outings. Some dishes and canapés are the "greatest hits" and preserved from as before.

Delighted to see about four teenagers at different tables eating with their folks. Fine dining for all.

Heartily recommend Chapter One as a destination restaurant - for those who can afford it. No getting away from the price tag.

• Advertisement

And for something completely different to the above...

Cheese smashburger from 4Friends off Parnell Street.

Cheese and bacon dust fries also.

This was dry as hell... I can only assume the chef squashed all the juices out of the meat with great diligence. Disappointing as it "looked the part".

Three burgers and three fries, two shakes, 47 euro. To be honest I feel like Chapter One was better value in terms of comparing what I paid for what I got :0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Agree 100% about the seafood and white wine craic in chapter one. But the chef is Nordic I suppose.

Yes, even the caviar element, I wondered... Are they big caviar eaters where he's from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭elperello

MacNean House, Blacklion, County Cavan.

Excellent menu and service overseen by the chef proprietor.

Not cheap but worth a detour.

You won't get a walk in and it's booked out months in advance.

A more informal recommendation is Pavarotti's in Athlone.

Pasta and Pizza served with a smile on the West Bank.

I was in there one night with some native New Yorkers and they said it was the best pizza they had eaten outside of NYC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is caviar even tasty?

Looking forward to some Cork based posts here... Not much to go for in the city, but Paradiso would probably be my fav on the semi-fine dining end of the scale.

Caviar isn't my favorite but my wife really likes it. The reason she likes it - the texture - is why I don't love it. As with many things, it's personal taste.

Because it's expensive it's not something as many people have the chance to try and I do think it's challenging at first? The colour, the 'pop' in the mouth...

Salmon roe has a similar texture in some ways, but not that common either. I ate in Ichigo Ichie in Cork a few years ago and it was on the menu.

Happy Christmas guys... Waiting for the kids to go zzz so we can get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For fine dining in Cork, Paradiso, Ichigo Ichie and Glass Curtain is the full list, as far as I'm concerned.

GC, just got a poor review today, though, on Cork forum .

Vice pizza and wing shop, Merrion St Lower, Dublin.

Imagine a Neapolitan style pizza restaurant which tweaked the best of recent high end progressive Dublin pizza restaurants, and combined it with some surprisingly good chicken wing and chicken tenders offerings, and you've got Vice.

The pizzas are 12" or 16", with plenty of leopoarding and a good rise on the dough. The toppings on offer are a bit of blend of the traditional (There's a capricosa, margarita etc) alongside standard more modern combos that people have come to expect (Nduja and honey, sausage and hot pickled peppers etc).

For the wings or tenders you have bewildering choice of marinade sand sauces on the sides... Two buffalo heat levels, a gojuchang option, a hot BBQ, a lemon and garlic, two ranch variations, a garlic cheese, a jalapeno mayo and a verde garlic. You could mix and match to suit whatever your taste is.

Located at the corner of Merrion Square, opposite the Davenport Hotel, it's a location that is oddly convenient to get to by DART or driving, compared to the city centre, depending on where you're coming from. If it's the northside OR the southside you can skirt your way in and park on street.

Price wise, a 12" pizza and a small serving of three chicken tenders with a sauce will set you back about 23 euro.

Yes, I'm a fan, high end pizza, a good setting and the chicken wings are well-executed and provide a protein element that's often missing from pizza restaurant visits (Sure, only the gym bros will care, but gym bros are people too...).

Went to Liath over the weekend. Went for a drink or two after and did a bit of a post mortem and we were all a little disappointed to be honest. Having eaten at Aimsir and Chapter One in the last six months for various special occasions, we were expecting similar excellent food here, but were sadly let down. It's odd, because there were parts of the meal that were absolutely delicious, but there were other dishes that just were very bland and didn't do a whole lot for me. I was wondering if I was going to be the only one of the group who felt this way but it was pretty universal.

My friend who booked made the (rather expensive) mistake of ordering the 'prestige' wine when booking which to be honest was wasted on us. I do love a good wine pairing but I will admit to very little actual wine knowledge - and to be fair the sommelier was excellent, very passionate and eloquent about his job and I enjoyed the wines for what they were. All the staff were great to be honest, a little less ... I don't now ... formal than the other equivalent places I have been to which I really enjoyed. A bit of craic goes a long way and did so here.

There were some excellent courses, such as a very tasty lamb course with a kombu crust and a fantastic jus and a amuse bouche/starter langoustine dish. Two of the desserts were also excellent, particularly a varied chocolate one with rasberries and a blood orange and olive oil dessert (which sounds odd, but really was lovely - and I don't even like olive oil normally). However, there were many that didn't really hit home for us. The bread course was very nice, but it's bread and butter at the end of the day, however nice. The scallop dish was overpowered by the other flavours and you didn't really get any scallop taste. I personally enjoyed an aged parmesan dish but the others weren't so gone on it. Salsify starter with liver and hay was ... grand, but didn't really pack a punch flavour wise.

Overall the entire experience was very pleasant and enjoyable - like I said, the staff were excellent, the ambience great, the wines went well with the food, but the main thing - the food - was a bit hit and miss at times. And whilst I didn't agree, the others came away hungry afterwards, which I've never had for a tasting course from a place like this. I feel bad knocking the food becuase the effort is clearly there and they do genuinely have passion and love for what they do but it just didn't land this time.

I'll keep it on the list and go back sometime if I can to see if I just had an off night. But there are others to get through first for sure.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Advertisement

Heading to Ichigo Ichie in Cork in June prior to a Frames gig. Really looking forward to it but also really curious as to what it's like. Anyone been and can comment?

Advertisement