Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House price predictions for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Q&A

Prices rise by 5-10%

The increase in LTI from next year will, as you say, cost people more but it needs to be seen in the context of after tax income. A couple on 90k would have a take home pay of about €5.9k a month. Even with bigger debt and higher rates that repayment is still less than 30% is their disposable income.

The 3.5x was never binding from a repayment capacity perspective so I would expect, if nothing else changed, prices to go up to reflect the extra borrowing capacity. There will be no increase in real purchasing power as this is a bump everyone will get (directly for ftbs, indirectly for ssbs through bigger profits when they sell). Prices to increase but we'll still only able to buy the same home as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Prices fall by 0-5%

This is NOT going to happen.

If Interest rates go to 8% half the countries in the EU will be bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Inflation is at 10.7%.

Can anybody point out any time in history that inflation was brought down to 2% without high interest rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Prices fall by 0-5%

Well, the official line of thinking across the western world seems to be that if wages don't rise along with prices, that, along with modest enough interest rate rises might bring it down.

But if we have to rely on interest rate increases alone, then we are in for a major, major recession. In which case, yes, house prices will almost certainly fall quite significantly.

Prices fall by 0-5%

I get what you are saying, but if rates go up to levels of 8% do you think countries like Italy or Greece can raise and finance debt at that level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Prices fall by 15-20%

I agree. But the ECB mandate is to keep inflation at 2%. That's their only mandate. So they will raise interest rates throughout 2023 and into 2024 until they hit that target. Will it destroy the Greek and Italian economies. Yes. Will it destroy lives and businesses throughout the eurozone. Yes. But the ECB aren't very good at forecasting. They will only step in to try and fix things after they break not before. Their approach to economics can best be called the "Oops Theory".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Wages are rising.

FRANKFURT, Dec 31 (Reuters) - Euro zone wages are growing quicker than earlier thought and the European Central Bank must prevent this from adding to already high inflation, ECB President Christine Lagarde told a Croatian newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Prices fall by 5-10%

To be fair, WWiII has started. NATO and the EU are in an economic war with Russia while the US fights a physical war via Ukraine. If this isn't WWIII, then what is? And I don't think Irish house prices can survive that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You've zero appreciation for what a WW actually is. We are , thankfully, a long way from WW yet.

The supply and demand sides of the housing market are still a long way from equilibrium. That coupled with the high cost of building makes the supply side a major problem. The demand is still there and while interest rates may dent that somewhat, people need a place to live, whether that be rental or PPR.

• Advertisement

Prices fall by 5-10%

Yes, reduced demand and increased supply together;

- Thousands of tech workers won't be flown in next year so less demand for 2000+ pm rentals and other short term corporate let's.

- Ukrainians can't pay Irish property prices and won't be supported with precious State borrowing at the levels needed to pay for their living in Ireland.

- CBI easing of mortgage lending limits will result in supply picking up as many sellers have probably held off the last few months since these were announced, expecting to cash in on this higher borrowing.

- Data showing prices are stalling or falling will come through and start to spook potential sellers into selling.

People are putting a lot of weight on tech workers and their impact on property availability. I don't believe it's anywhere near as high as people are saying, particularly if you view it from a national rather than a Dublin perspective.

The Ukrainian situation isn't going to make property magically appear from thin air, no matter how you look at it.

Your last two points make little sense when,again, people who sell houses themselves have to live somewhere. Unless you are talking about institutional Investors or vulture funds which again would have a relatively low impact nationally.

Theres nothing there that will actually increase the amount of new properties being built to match demand which is ultimately why we are where we are.

Things may level out but I don't see a major crash like many expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I think prices will continue to rise due to the increase in mortgage lending rules in January and first home equity schemes for new billed before they start levelling off later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Prices fall by 0-5%

I'd be surprised if REITs are not more cautious this year. Impending 15% tax harmonization and also capacity may slow FDI to Ireland. Considerable supply in the pipeline.

Possible reduced corporation tax in 2023 to temper cash available for hap, thus affecting rental yield.

I'm not sure but leaning towards a slight drop in property prices.

Prices fall by 0-5%

The ECB remit can be flexible. Remember the famous words ushered by Mario Dragi "Whatever it takes"

The ECB are not going to bankrupt half the eurozone in order to reach a paper target.

Simply its not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sellinggaff

Prices rise by 5-10%

Serious question here. I have heard this eejit Joe O'Brien on three different shows, Newstalk Matt Cooper and TV3 Current Affairs, on about our "need" to source accommodation for this migrant crisis lunacy.

With the 5 billion surplus announced the other week, is it beyond the realms of possibility that this lunatic government will engage in bulk buying of second hand homes to alleviate this? Pushing up the price of existing homes?

5 billion euro would buy you 25,000 homes in most of regional Ireland- although with the endless pockets of government sellers could hold them over the barrel for a higher sale price.

I don't buy all this nonsense about a tsunami of landlords ready to hit the Sale button come March. If they didn't do it last year why would they now? They'll get another year's rent in- it's a possibility many may sell up in mid 2024 to get out before a SF government they fear.

House prices will, by and large, never collapse. They may stagnate and fall slightly, but collapse- not unless there's mass unemployment reducing buying power. What people don't remember is that 100 euro in 2023 is worth about 80 euro in 2019 money- if the cost of everything else has skyrocketed and the value of money has went through the floor due to the mental money printing during Covid, how would a semi in West Dublin be going again for 220 to 250K when it's now 370k?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

There are a lot of landlords getting out, the RTB publishes figures on the number of registered rental tenancies every year, they have dropped steadily from around 313k in 2017 to an estimated 275k end of 2021 (no figures for last year yet), while demand for rentals seems to have increased in the same period.

I'd agree though that it's unlikely prices will collapse, staying flat in nominal terms and dropping in real terms would be my bet. Look at any other country house price index long term and I think that's more like what we will get, going sideways for long periods, small drops in recessions and long term growth averaging out around inflation. The big change here versus '08 is the much tighter lending limits and increased regulation.

The biggest issue I see is that things for people renting who can't afford to buy are going to get a lot worse as the small landlords continue to exit, it will likely lead to a lot of emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Prices rise by 5-10%

Ok so coming towards the end of the year and said it would be good to look back at the predictions from the start of the year.

As per the CSO prises nationally were up 1.4% on previous 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

Prices rise by 5-10%

Too early to call it for 2023 but the national figure will probably come in below my 5-10% prediction.

The latest CSO figure of 1.4% inflation for the 12 months to September may be close to the final number for 2023 but CSO data is provisional for the months of July, August and September which are crucial months when the sales agreed in May, June and July (the busiest months in the property market) will show up in the Stamp Duty data. I wouldn't be surprised if this provisional data is revised upward before the end of the year.

House price inflation outside Dublin is close to the lower end of my prediction but Dublin prices seem to have hit a ceiling i.e. buyers have reached the limits of their appetite/capacity for borrowing. The 1.9% fall in Dublin prices would mean a drop of around 5% in real terms in the 12 months to September.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hontou

No change in prices

So accounting for inflation, what was the right call?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

No change in prices

I called a "no change", which seems about right. As it was 12 months ago, there is simply too much demand for any reversal in prices. The same seems likely for 2024, but we'll see next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Prices rise by 5-10%

What was the actual figure. I thought this was for next year and just voted :)

Then i realized its for the last year.

As someone who has been looking for somewhere to buy and is keeping a very close eye on asking, sale prices and how much im having to bid, I think they have gone up significantly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

No change in prices

1.4% according to the CSO:

Of course, this is an average figure. I've not been looking as I bought in 2022, but from what I hear from friends in Dublin, things have worsened.

Prices rise by 5-10%

In fact, the CSO says prices in Dublin are falling, by 1.9% in the 12 months to September. I doubt if anyone looking to buy in Dublin would agree.

We.have much better data now with the Property Price Register. The fall in Dublin prices may be due to a changing mix of properties on the market. Most of the new properties sold in Dublin now are apartments, which are smaller and cheaper on average. When people talk about falling house prices, they think it means any given property will sell for less than last year, other things being equal. That is not what the CSO measures

There were 8,452 new dwelling completions in Quarter 3 (Q3) 2023, an increase of 14.4% on the same three months of 2022.

Apartment completions rose 47.3% in the 12 months to Q3 2023, to 3,373.

Prices rise by 5-10%

I think you are right. We are looking at both houses and apartments. Both are going up, a lot, over the time we've been looking. But there are less houses now than apartments for sale. It wasnt like that last year. And last year there were a lot of houses in the 600 to 900k range where we are looking (not that we could afford them), but i notice there is just one in that range now. There are lots of very expensive apartments after coming on the market in the last 6 months too, way out of our range for an apartment.

Prices rise by 5-10%

Sorry to hear this. It must be galling to be told prices are falling when you are being priced out of the area you hoped to buy. You are by no means alone in this predicament.

Government politicians would be well advised not to quote these CSO stats as evidence that the housing crisis is being resolved. The data are solid but don’t mean what people, especially the media, seem to think.

Prices rise by 5-10%

Im used to it now. I just think its funny how people have polarized viewpoints and cant see what is really happen, nor be able to reason out why its happening. No way to fix anything until people open their eyes about causes and effects instead of just reacting. And our government sadly are slaves to popular opinion, therefore will never be able to make good decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Prices rise by 0-5%

Where are all the geniuses who predicted 5%+ drop in prices??

Get ta fùck....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement