Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure, they empty the bin and segregate the bottles and cans, scan & credit.

If the minister was serious about integrating his anti litter scheme with normal recycling, then this is what he should be directing waste companies to do.

Now you're talking - lots more Green taxes! The more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is getting very silly. It's about the bottle/can not what's in it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It'd eliminate 99% of the bottle/can litter problem where I live if they did this:

€1 deposit on all bottles/cans if the purchaser is under 18 (€2 for Monster)

€0 deposit for everyone else.

😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s very possible, in fact likely, that the individuals who previously called for it are not the same individuals who are complaining about it now. Boards users are not a monolith. And that’s before you even consider that the specific implementation that the Government have chosen may not be the one that previous advocates wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

And when I pick that litter up along the road every week I'll have to throw them in my recycling bin, because they are inevitability crushed and not suitable for recovering the deposit. Litterers are not going to change because of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Snuck is the correct spelling, and no, why would you say that? I'm not aware of what governmental consultations are ongoing at the minute, are you? Does that mean they were snuck in? No, not at all. İf you have time to expend on Boards you have time to visit the website and inform yourself of ongoing consultations, and make submissions where warranted. There's no point complaining after the horse has bolted.

Which stakeholders were those? I glanced through some of the submissions and most seemed broadly in favour.

Proven to work? What evidence do you have for that?

"To date, over 60% of plastic bottles and cans are being collected for recycling through green bins, which means that over 30% are not collected, leading to increased littering."

Where is the harm in trying to increase the amount of bottles and cans recycled?

I don't know if you've ever been outside the country but other places have had this sort of thing in place for years. İt works.

"High-performing deposit return systems for drink containers achieve recovery rates of 90% and above. The latest data from Eunomia on deposit systems in Europe shows recovery (or “redemption”) rates of 84% to 96%, with a median rate of 91%."

So we could be looking at a 15-20% increase in recycling rates for the affected containers, with the concomitant reduction in litter. Again, where is the harm in that?

An absurd idea that would result in a dramatic increase in the fees you pay to waste companies.

And equally absurd is to penalise the recycling public with extra charges and work in order to deal with a litter problem.

• Advertisement

Let's suppose the average household has thirty such bottles/ cans per recycle lift that they currently pay for. How about the minister instructing Greyhound to credit each household with €7.50 per lift then. And let the minister pay €7.50 per lift back to Greyhound with the taxes collected at purchase time.

A sensible, circular strategy would have come up with a cost neutral solution like this.

And if they can't integrate the new ant litter system with the existing recycle collection system, they shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭bren2001

How?

From an engineering perspective, how? The truck would have to automatically sort as it tips the bin in. Again, how?

It makes sense on paper but thinking about it for anymore then 5 seconds you realise its not realistic.

İt's a recycling problem too, you may have missed that. Current rates are circa 60%, the government aims to increase this.

İt's not an awful lot of work for most, you load up your old cans and bottles before you head down to Tesco, throw them in the machine and get your money back.

There's always cases where such a thing isn't feasible. İf we stopped every project for the few who will be negatively affected nothing would get done.

As to your other post - Then we'll have lads on here whinging that they use far more than 30 cans/bottles per lift and are being ripped off. There's no winning.

The process has been chosen, you'll just have to deal with it as you see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"To date, over 60% of plastic bottles and cans are being collected for recycling through green bins, which means that over 30% are not collected, leading to increased littering."

There is no figures apparently on bottle and can recycling, so where have re-run got those figures?

But lets say the vast majority of recycling is done through waste companies via the home, which I assume is as near as 100% as you get.

Why in the name of Jaysus would you change the majority method of collection that is proven to work to tackle the minority.

This is being touted as "convenience for all"

That's clearly absolute bollíx. It is the literal opposite of convenience for all.

I don't know if you've ever been outside the country but other places have had this sort of thing in place for years.

Well I have travelled extensively particularly throughout Europe and the one thing you do become aware of quite quickly is the amount of cleaning crews that are constantly on the streets of the cities.

So again if you can explain to me how does dismantling a recycle system that works cure a littering problem? Which this is now being touted as.

What percentage of litter is bottles and cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think the powers that be have realised that there will be street protests when the garbage collection costs go through the roof as a direct result of the loss of aluminium from their collected waste.

Nothing against the idea of bringing back cars and bottles but every household will have to be given a credit equal to any direct increases in costs for garbage collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

The thing that annoys me is that I can't crush the bottles and cans to save space. They have to be pristine going into the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The first sensible post in a thread full of complete BS

When you cave people continue to burn your plastic bottles, at least now its ur money going up in smoke.

On the issue of dumping, the bar code will trace it back to the shop where it was bought, CCTV will do the rest and you are now responsible for ensuring you rubbish gets recycled. It s your rubbish, regardless of who dumps it

Did you not read the act in full?😂

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

On the issue of dumping, the bar code will trace it back to the shop where it was bought, CCTV will do the rest and you are now responsible for ensuring you rubbish gets recycled

Is this a píss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭creedp

Presumably its your right to forge the deposit and landfill the item if that's your inclination.

Can only imagine the number of gardai needed to be scouring retail premises cctv to try and identify who dropped a drinks can on the side of a road😂

Even if they did a small problem will be how will they know the person who bought the can dropped it?

Big brother society here we come. Next green initiative will be forced bar coding of the population so that the small number of people who litter can be tracked and severly dealt with. Anyone who complains will be publicly flogged😂

Even if they did a small problem will be how will they know the person who bought the can dropped it?

Miniature CCTV in the can, cost of this is passed on to the consumer.

• Advertisement

So we could be looking at a 15-20% increase in recycling rates for the affected containers, with the concomitant reduction in litter. 

Bzzt. Wrong. You are assuming that all bottles and cans which are not recycled are littered. They are not. Anything which is put in a refuse bin on the street, at a venue, at home, is not littered.

It seems like an awful lot of effort, expense, and trouble, for rather a small gain.

İf it was as near to 100% as you can get we wouldn't be instituting the current scheme. Note how glass is not part of it - Rates of recycling there are 84%, similarly, paper/cardboard is at 73%.

One can only assume this post is not serious. İf so, there's a whole forum for wild conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Tis great for myself, I used have the bins cause I'd be stuck with cans after burning.

Now I can burn all my paper, plastic etc and take the cans to the machine in the shop. Only thing to figure is the tins for dog/cat food and the beans

Bzzt. Where did I make that assumption? Oh, that's right, I didn't.

İf you think that putting a value on litter won't see a reduction in same you clearly skipped basic economics.

Relevant sections of the above -

"Shops and retailers need to register for the scheme, which the minister said is cost neutral, adding that the shop will retain a small fee... Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Smyth said it is a scheme that pays for itself and everybody along the line who handles the goods has to be compensated for their work."

So cost neutral rules out any expense, trouble and effort are mitigated by the fact that most people are going to their local shop week in, week out. Bringing the old cans and bottles with you is hardly a great effort.

"Mindy O'Brien... said the move was required to meet the EU Single Use Plastics Directive, under which there is a recycling target of 90% of plastic bottles by 2029."

So we can carry on down the current path and receive fines from the EU when we miss our targets, or we can do this. We're doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm pretty sure if you went back before the plastic bag tax you'd have these exact arguments that it doesn't work. But that is a massive success.

I live in the Netherlands and this year they introduced this for cans after years of having it for bottles.

It has also been a success. There is definitely less cans around as litter. If you were the type to recycle before then you aren't the target of this. People who would buy a can when out and then throw it in a bin or on the street are the target. They now tend to hold onto it until they are in a shop again. Or they throw it on the street and someone else picks it up and returns it. Either way it's less trash and more recycled.

Saying that when you have your shopping delivered they also have to take back cans and bottles.

We have a small bottle extra bin beside the recycling at home that these go into and returned when we go to a shop. It's never a huge amount so space required is minimal.

Its another thing that after it's brought in that becomes so normal that you wonder why it wasn't brought in years earlier. The same as the plastic bag tax.

İf it was as near to 100% as you can get we wouldn't be instituting the current scheme

They don't know the figures. Problem solving 101, identify if there is actually a problem.

Note how glass is not part of it - Rates of recycling there are 84%

What punitive measures did we impose for glass?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure if you went back before the plastic bag tax you'd have these exact arguments that it doesn't work.

If the plastic bag tax was introduced as a scheme to replace a scheme that already worked to try solve another problem that we don't actually know is a problem you may have a point.

But the thing about the plastic bag tax is there is an opt out.

There is no opt out here. In fact you have to opt out of a process that was convenient, simple and worked and opt into a scheme that is the literal definition of inconvenient, expensive and even with the best will in the world will not run as efficiently as the scheme it has replaced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement