Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CX World Cup round for Dublin in December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,024 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's pretty amazing for any Irish cycling that isn't a win in the Tour de France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

Right folks, hands up who watched the race on GCN+ this evening to see if they could spot themselves ✋

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I reckon it is a little bit down on last year, however the crowd may have been a little bit more spread out. I think last year's attendance was around 4k.

I did notice a lot more tourists this year than last year. Which will make the department of sport/tourism interested.

EDIT: Sorry it was 8k last year

Post edited by Richard Hillman on

Here's a good article on the problems the team face getting to Dublin. It shoud automatically translate.

It doesn't look good for the future of the event. If you are getting 4-5k at it with about 10% tourists, it's not that much different to a League of Ireland match gets and that gets very little support. The TV audience is the only thing that helps it. The inconvenience for the teams looks very hampering and we know London has been looking to host a WC event.

EDIT: Sorry it was 8k last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Did I miss it or was there no trophies presented to the riders on the podium today??

The problem is with having a big race the day before in Belgium. Sadly the easiest solution if they can't move the Irish race again will just be to ditch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Enjoyed the day out....even with the rain. Some great racing especially the mens race. Far better Catering services this year, but heard a few say the shuttle bus situation at the end was much better last year. Crowds were down on last year and this is the issue, if crowds are decreasing after one year, combined with the extra hassle of getting here for the teams it does not look favourable for the long term hosting of an event in Ireland which would be a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭LeoD

After reading that you would have to worry about the future of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the weather probably didn't help the crowds and also the absence of WvA and MvdP (though the latter wasn't here last year either).

I had a really good day despite the rain. It was nice to be able to have a couple of pints, even if they weren't Belgian beers. We'd brought our own food but the food offerings looked decent enough. The men's race was a cracker. I also bought a bobble hat so it better be on again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well from my point of view, I was there last year and was amazing to see the superstars racing i.e. Pidcock, Wout VA, Pauline Ferrand-Prevot, Lars VDH, Puck Pieterse who were all absent this year so I'd less motivation to go, combined with the weather I decided to skip it...

But the final nail in the coffin was when I saw the beer tent was selling "Rocksh**" lager!

Looking at the pictures and video coverage you could see the crowds were very light compared with last year so if there's a similar situation next year when the Elite riders are not going to travel over then the Dublin race could be out of the calendar for 2024....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they had Guinness, it was fine. The men's race was much better this year than last (when WvA blew everyone else away).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I think I referenced it a few pages back. It's a scheduling problem with the two biggest event organisers in conflict with each other. So you have X20 yesterday and WC (Flanders Classics) today. It's happened with other weekends too, will probably happen again with Val di Sole and Benidorm rounds, so not exclusive to Ireland.

The need to knock heads at the end of the season, put aside petty vested interests and sort out scheduling for next season.

I enjoyed yesterday. The Fanzone, big tent and much much better food options made a big difference for people who are spending half a day there. I caught the end of the MU23 race, got a drink and some food before the Womens... wandered around that end of the course for the first half of the race and then made my way over to the Hills section for the mens. Atmosphere was good. Crowds down a bit. For me, the absence of The Big Three made no difference to the day. Would have liked to see Lars VDH, Puck P and Fem VE. But really, the standard at that level is just great to watch.

Hope it's back again next year... they got a lot of things right this year that they didn't in 2022... a bit more marketing of the event in advance... free tickets to junior riders/ school kids etc, and better race scheduling and it could be fantastic. (Oh, and the weather gods to help us out!)

I don't understand the Rockshore issue. Last year there was nothing at all so how is that a negative for this year.

The lack of road stars is a problem though. Made for a better race but road is the only game in town really in Ireland.

The Guinness was nice in fairness. If Diageo are the only brewers that will produce the goods, we can't really complain. Certainly not for a small event like this... would the likes of Bru Brewery/ Wicklow Wolf be prepared to sink costs into setting up outdoor bar facilities for something like this? Would be great if they did, but I presume they have to pay to sell their product, so might not be feasible. I dunno, I'd certainly take Rockshore over nothing.

Do you think many didn't come because Wout and Pidcock weren't here this year? Made no difference to me so I can't really tell/ not the best judge. Can't have helped anyway, I suppose.

I think they were only expecting about 4k/5k last year, so this year isn't a massive shock.

We had Eli, Nys, Sweeck, Michael VanT, Ronhaar, Brand, Alvarado, Betsema, Zoe B... plenty of big names there yesterday. Almost every race in the CX calendar this time of year is missing some of the big CX names... they just can't ride every race in every series.

If you're not a CX fan then you probably will only have heard of The Big Three, which is a difference issue altogether. I thought it was a strong field yesterday anyway.

Honestly though, just sort out the scheduling and stop being children. Either take the WC competition seriously as something that the sport wants to grow or just accept that it's going to fail through no fault of the host cities.

Treaty City done all the beer for the Tag Rugby World Cup in Limerick so it's feasible I assume.

Dublin is very very weird though in the sense that it doesn't really have any proper heavily locally connected craft breweries. At least not since Porterhouse changed direction and now that mouldy nob McGregor is involved too.

Thought I'd throw up a few pictures here. Not in any particular order, and not of any riders in particular, just shots that came out not too awful

• Advertisement

Was it Gerbin Kuypers who tried to ride the big hill wall every lap? Think he nailed it once? Insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

It'd be a shame as last years was a cracking event, being able to be so close to the action and that fact that it's a short course means continuous action. I wasn't able to go this year unfortunately as I had a family thing on.

While I can understand how important the sport is in Belgium, if they want to grow it they're going to have to expand beyond the frontier. As somebody else said, it'd be a 14 hour journey to Val di Sole and over 18 to Benidorm (that's probably for a car. Buses and trucks would be subject to a lower speed limit on French autoroutes), so much of a muchness. It's a very packed calendar, but it should be in both organisations interests in the long run to sort it out

I think the ultimate goal from the department of sport is to have the CX World's here and the WC events are to show that we can do it.

Not to get political or party specific (because most of them have had a go at this stage) but I've only ever known Ireland to want to host international events for the benefit of tourism.

Hosting the TdF (+future TdF) and Giro was never about cycling, it was about Tourism. Hosting the Ryder Cup + Future Ryder Cup isn't about promoting golf, its about Tourism. Trying to host the Americas cup was never about Sailing. For Euro 2028, football is getting absolutely nothing out of it, it's about getting the bodies through the airport.

So back to CX, I think it's a good sign that we may get a World Championships at some point, which will be great. I can't see a regular event though, sadly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Surely the beer thing is a non issue. Shite Irish beer or okay Belgian beer.

There's loads of craft breweries in Dublin.

Rascals, Hope, Hopefully, Whiplash, Lineman, Dot and a handful others I can't ever remember the name of. Lots of them are fairly well connected to various pubs / promotors. Eg People who run Big Romance have links with Whiplash and a few others.

I'd presume these things go to tender, Diageo offers best upfront money or split of proceeds and can probably set up and clean up quicker as they have so many ins with various event teams.

Tag rugby world cup wouldn't have the same draw for them you'd think.

You'd need someone who has a link with a distributor for kwaremont etc to be able to sell it at the event or and it may not be worthwhile for a one off.

Agree with all of that, but I wouldn't be as pessimistic about a regular event here. The riders have spoken very highly of the course. Belgian commentators have been complimentary of the set up. There's a very real desire to get more venues outside of Belgium and Holland. And the logistics of getting a round in the UK are much more now given Brexit (think last minute entrants, travel by campervan, team buses etc). And there was general surprise at the attendance last year, so 6,500 average across two years isn't bad.

If there was a concerted push next year to a) get anyone at all in the gate (free tickets to schoolkids - they'll bring along parents, free VIP passes as prizes on radio shows etc.) and b) to get more actual cycling fans in the gate (discounts for affiliated clubs, more emails to CI members) I think we could very easily get over 10k.

The atmosphere in the fan zone was genuinely good craic despite the rain coming down as the womens race started.

Actually Hope would be the kind of brewery I was thinking of that has a geographic identity. But it's really not as common to see craft beer in a regular non craft specific Dublin pub compared to Cork/Limerick/Galway. Same goes for better European stuff, never see La Choufe or Hoegarten on draft in a Dublin pub. Dublin has a very noticeable lack of a beer and also food market scene for an Irish or UK city.

Grand Cru distributors supply almost all the Belgian beer in Ireland and I have never seen them run any kind of stand sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s definitely pubs that sell Hoegarten, Veltins and more on draft. Can’t specifically remember La Choufe but there are pubs dotted all around the city that don’t just sell Guinness and Heineken products

I know this is off topic, but somewhere like JT Pims on Dame Lane have a huge selection on draft (including Hoegarten)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

There was a lot of talk in work about it today, people actually saw it on the news and thought it looked great.

Did you know that was on? they said, when I told them we rode it Saturday they were taken by the idea. But they hadn't heard of it in advance.

It's a great entry route to cycling for kids, safe, dirty, fun... i think it would support the road scene if properly done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well hoegarden was available on draft in a pub I was in only yesterday in Dublin.

I don't think you drink all that regularly in Dublin or haven't in some time.

Food market scene, yeah but that's lacking everywhere in Ireland. There are plenty of weekend ones but they're spread about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm the Leo DiCaprio pointing at the TV meme all evening 😂

Really enjoyed the event, I regret not getting an earlier train and seeing more of the early races, would like to have wandered around a bit more of the course. I hope it's on the schedule again next year, I'll be back.

Advertisement