Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Good luck to you, do every competition you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

Since we've had to revisit this thread more or less daily for weeks now here's a simple reminder for everyone:

1) You discuss (not attack) the point another person is making; that does not mean you question their character, knowledge, or try to prove you got the biggest cohones around. If you think they are wrong explain why and include some links to facts (that is not including your opinion) to back that view up. If all you got is "Teachers r suxor" then do the world a favour and go get educated on the topic before posting again.

2) Claiming another poster is a troll, moron, has a donkey for a mother etc. all fall under personal abuse. Here's a hint for those that have not been around long enough, but actual trolls love to bait people into attacking them personally ensuring the attacker gets carded instead of them. This is not new or unique to this thread.

3) Someone disagreeing with you is not trolling; that's simply having a different opinion. Now you may think they are the biggest pain in the behind and should be nuked with an orbital laser because of this but that does not stop them from having the right to post on the thread as long as they follow point 1.

4) We (as in Boards) like discussions because it's through discussions that we learn and grow our knowledge; hence we don't want threads where everyone sits around and agrees (another common complaint ironically enough). Having said that if someone is consistently contrarian without backing it up with facts, we will ban you from the thread.

5) If you think someone is breaking the rules as per above do report the post and include what you think they have done wrong; we have two active mods reading all the reported posts. We may not agree with you, but we do read them all and make a call on each individual report as they come in. Why report? Because shock and horror we actually have a life outside boards which means we can not, and will not, read every single thread and post in the forum. Hence reporting helps flag to us that we should go and take a look at.

And with that; back to the topic(s) at hand. If someone wants to start a chat thread to keep this thread more clean you're more then welcome to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Understand that the Irish government are powerless to solve the public pay issue satisfactorily. Inflation is always a monetary phenomenon. Always.

Pay increases will not outpace real inflation. No chance.

Buy yourself some gold (as much as you can afford). Don't say you can't afford it. We all spend currency according to self-declared priorities.

Or don't. But there it is, plain and simple. Take pain now, or more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Talks started today. I wonder when we will start to hear leaks about what each side want or are offering? Will talks be done this side of Xmas and ballot members in early January?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

A teacher dismissing the value of further education now, what a joke. I suppose you'd be happy enough to see a doctor who does not posses the necessary professional qualifications either then?

It's just as well that the Garda at ten years is paid much more than the base salary then isn't it? They are paid a base salary and allowances and the two together contribute to their take home pay. About 25 - 30% of their earnings is from allowances.

The Revenue data I posted does not include overtime, so there is no expectation the Garda needs to work extra to find themselves included in the top 20% of all income earners in the country by holding nothing more than a Leaving Certification Pass Result as entry criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do the Union leaders not consult with their members beforehand anymore to get a feel for what they want/expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Qualifications have nothing to do with it. Nursing is now a degree qualification and they are appallingly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'll refer you to the mod warning above and ask you submit some proof of your claim that nurses are appallingly paid.

Otherwise I'll be reporting your post as baseless lies and presenting my own proof to once again totally contradict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Get Real

Bit unfair to pick a guard in particular imo. Prison officers, Dublin fire brigade, immigration officers plus others are the same. None of which require a degree. (But at this stage, majority of people applying for any position have a degree anyway as standard)

Tbh, wouldn't begrudge any of them 25% on top of salary for working nights, weekends, unsocial hours etc.

To earn that, they've to work it. So it's a moot point imo. It's money paid for the lack of routine, the impact of nights on health, and I'm sure the constant "I'm in work" for a get together or kids birthday party on a Saturday or "I'll see can I get leave".

Having worked shift work in the private sector myself, and knowing two people who left shift work roles in the public sector, a price can't be put on routine.

The payscales are the payscales. Some will involve more sh1t than others within normal hours, whether it's a Monday to Friday accountant or clerical officer.

Then completely separate to that is shift work for decades. There should be no issues paying extra on top for what's a terribly unhealthy lifestyle both mentally and physically.

• Advertisement

starting salary for a newly qualified nurse in Ireland is €33,193. Like I stated . . . . appallingly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

34k is not appalling for a 21/22 year old.

It doesn't include shift allowances etc either.

Again same oul story. . . the age of the person, can't they do more to earn more?. . . . from the same posters time and time again. Excuse after excuse to justify low pay for demanding jobs that they wouldn't do themselves. I'm convinced there's senior civil servants from the DPER posting on here.....either that or seriously nasty people who begrudge hard-working essential public servants a decent wage.

Post edited by Peter Flynt on

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I'll remember that when I'm waiting 24 hours in A&E in future. Ah sure they're should be more nurses here they get paid great money for being that age....

Do you know any nurses? I do 6 to be percise and guess where they all ended up once qualified? Not in our hospitals because the pay was far worse than the sunny side of Australia.10 years later not 1 has returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Haha jaysis 6 out of 6 emigrated forever, thats eh quite unbelievable. 34k is a decent graduate salary though. Is there not any onus on nurses , gardai , teachers to do the very basic level research first of maybe looking at the pay levels before choosing that path.

Its a decent grad salary. I assume the nurses looked up the pay before entering college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Starting salary at Lidl is 30k for scanning groceries and ask if you have Lidl plus

Nursing is 34k after a 4 year degree course, where from day one failure from your part might get someone killed

So in context ... yes its an appaling wage to start on... IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

A question i'd have as a CS myself and I know it won't be addressed in this round of public pay talks. If we are negotiating pay for the different grades, what is the role envisaged for them in the medium to long term?

For example, I was involved in a project where robotic process automation was used and it replaced the roles that COs and EOs would have traditionally worked. It was cheaper, more accurate and faster. With a much reduced staff requirement, no HEO role was required.

Another example is AOs, will it be formalised that they are now an entry point role which can be assigned the same role profile as a HEO? This is the case in many areas already.

I would also like how PMDS/performance management in general is handled, as currently I think the balance is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭reggie3434

Lidl workers do a lot more than just scan groceries and are a lot more efficient than most ps civil service workers

Really if that your opinion I don't know what I can do for you.

Plenty of the big 4 hire grads at under 30k straight out of college.

34k plus whatever thousands the shift and other allowances (you'd essentially get as part of your working week as) is pretty decent. I think it does place a value in their work.

Personally disagree that every starting salary in the country needs to be at the average. Experience matters as does the ability to motivate yourself to earn more.

Back on the wider pay deal, id say 6/7 per cent over 18 months again

• Advertisement

Seems like this emergency legislation is holding it up , gov want multi year deal but unions wont unless that legislation is gotten rid of. Feels like the large majority would benefit from a 1 year deal.

Also, I am only googling it which has a lidl sales associate on 25k, where are you seeing 30k plus?

Obviously 25k would be alot less than the 34k (and less again when shift allowances etc are included).

It's very mean to try denigrate hard working retail workers through comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭howiya

Surely thats how they end up on the other side of the world? They do do their research and see what salary they can earn

Some reports (it's been a few years, I'd have to Google it) omparing pay with the private sector found low grades in the PS/CS do very well by comparison. On the otherhand it found senior managers are less well remunerated.

An obvious fear of a non homogeneous agreement is the AHCPS would make that case strongly.

But the same can be said for a lot professions. The majority still stay here. Or go and return https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-nurses-midwives-emigration-figures-6216732-Nov2023/. Young graduates will always emigrate for different experiences , Ireland is small and the australia thing has nearly become a rite of passage, across any and every employment sector.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Our place has experimented with robotic processes also for highly manual and laborious work. I imagine nobody will lose their job but future recruitment may be scaled back as the technology becomes more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Chaos Black

I agree, the CS won't let people go. However, I don't think it is that far off now and should be a consideration sooner then later whether the existing grade structure/pay will work going forward. I think as more Departments/senior managers see the benefits of a robot over a human, the cost comparison and how relatively straightforward it is to operate once you get off the initial planning period/early implementation phase, it should be more widely considered for existing work.

There may be an awkward period when this happens, as re-assigning staff who have worked for x amount of years on y and don't have readily transferable skills can be difficult to find appropriate new work for.

On the other end of the scale, I think we can lack numbers in policy areas in comparison to EU counterparts of a similar size. It can be as small as one/two staff working on the national policy for something important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

where did I denigrate hardworking retail workers ? ... really

I made the comparison between two vastly different sectors and the training (investment) needed to start working in said environment.

And yes there is much less needed to start working at lidl then to start a shift in a busy A&E as a new grad.. with one making 75 euro more per week Sorry if this comparison hurt your feelings.

In the end it needs to be worthwhile to go out there and earn a decent wage that not will be gone after paying rent and buying a few groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

This is going back 10 years ago so as far as I remember they all had to spend years doing a placement after graduation aswell? For a lower rate that was quite low.Off my head 3 of them were working in a local spar and never had a minute to actually live in there early 20s.

That could also be a deciding factor for then to leave they seen the fun sun and good salary our competitors offer, along with fully functioning services that they now contribute to.

• Advertisement

The thread tends to be fixated on starter salaries in these roles vs the dole or retail positions. People arent stupid , they understand what a STARTING salary is. They know their salary is basically guaranteed to double or even treble during their career. The same cannot be said for retail or the Dole. So its disingenous crap to be harping on about starting salaries and pointless to benchmark them against jobs that dont have the same salary growth.

Advertisement