Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor vs Cameron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,679 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i mean more in the nice fella legend rather than an actual legend, altho as a legitimate irish world champion he is in rare enough company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Croke Park was much smaller and more compact back then. If you are up in the upper levels of Croke Park for a boxing match, you'll see nothing other than a couple of bodies in the ring flailing arms. You won't be able to see who has given a proper belt to the other, and you'll spend most of your time just following it on the big screen (assuming they will be showing it on the big screen).

I cannot see how having it in Croke Park will work. It's far too big. They are not going to have anyone in the Hill. And can't have Davin stand either as it's too far away. I presume the ring would be around the middle of the pitch. And even that is still too far away if seating half way back in the Hogan and Cusack. I know the atmosphere is better at a boxing match than a GAA match; but it would still be very subdued in comparison to what it was on Saturday night in 3Arena.

I would never pay €100 for an upper tier ticket. The most I would pay for any ticket for a boxing match would be around €70. And would only do so if it was a decent seat - where I would have a proper view, and feel like I am part of the event, rather than sitting in some part of the stadium where I am getting nothing from it. And I'd say there are many thousands of the same view. I'm sure that there are the core 10,000 or so who will pay the €200 or €300 for tickets regardless of what the venue is. But that's not enough to make Corke Park a viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Sorry but Katie Taylor is not in the same stratosphere as muhammad Ali in 1972.......25000 people would have paid to see Muhammad Ali fight a punch bag back then

• Registered Users Posts: 19,099 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Once Pat isn’t stiffed for the security costs…..happy days.

Once this doesn’t become the media fest debacle that Brookes began…..happy days.

If Hearn and Katie want it in Croke Park…..fire away but pay for it yerselves

Thats fair enough I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭bog master

Just finding it a bit ironic, in that, (and my stats may be a bit off and open to correction), but talk on here of bringing families and kids to this event.

An event where two people are there to batter each other-with the main event occurring round half ten or so, and yet we have laws where you cant bring a child into a pub after a certain hour unless food is being served tho not necessarily being ordered or consumed.

HMMMM

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DaithiMa

There were still tickets available on Wednesday for Saturday's fight. In the Point. Not a chance they'll sell 60k tickets for Croker. They'd be lucky to fill the Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don't think Croke Park is a runner, there were still a few tickets left for Saturday's fight less than a fortnight beforehand.

It's a pity, but it's really not a tragedy. Katie and Serrano/Cameron will still make a lot of money wherever they fight, and Katie has had the chance to fight at home.

I think Frampton fought in front of a crowd in excess of 20,000 at Windsor Park, but Croke Park is four times that. I can't ever remember an Irish fighter drawing a crowd of even half Croke Park's capacity in Ireland. It'd be great if it were viable, but at this stage I don't think it's likely. A rematch with Serrano in May of this year would have been the best chance.

Post edited by Sunny Disposition on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What's nonsense talk? - do you mean bringing kids to the boxing match is nonsense talk???

I saw comments above on about bringing the family out to the boxing match. That's ridiculous. Like the poster said, what parents are going to bring kids up to age of, say 12 to a boxing match which finishes around 11.15 at night time. Won't happen. Many kids wouldn't be able to stand the noise for a start. Although, probably less of an issue if it were Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Yes, nonsense talk/suggestion bringing young children to it.

People today pay for utter scutter that has the word “entertainment” attached to it. Event junkies everyehere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

Tallaght Stadium ftw! 10k in the stands and whatever you can fit into the pitch.

You are correct B, there's a coterie out there who know nothing about boxing ,but because it its whipped up by the media,they will sell the car to go.

Watch the pressure build up from all those with 'dogs in the fight' RTE liggers, the media,the hotels, the bars, the hucksters, all ready to

take every last Euron from Poor Pat and say "Aaaah sure, you can tell your grandchilder you were there".

These lads are like the headbangers who will attend five sessions in a row of Bruce Springsteen .

Theres more of them than we think.... as you rightly pointed out

I know Katie is the draw here, and maybe it suits Cameron and she wants it financially, but fight 3 again on Katie's terms and on at Katie's venue....I haven't heard any talk of putting it on in England...Katie has had her two "homecomings" now....it's all a bit egocentric feeling

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Or thomond park or as WalshB points out what about some indoor venue in the uk.......all better options that Croke park....I actually think EH has Katie brainwashed into this croke park thing.....I know its his job to promote, but she is unable to finish a sentence at this stage without croke park in it......

I really hope that where ever she ends up fighting that both fighters come out of it as the financial winners and not just EH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Who the **** is Pat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭John arse

Your average Irish Man who is a boon to pubs,tournaments,football games abroad, Sunday markets, concerts, Spanish bar owners,credit unions,Lidl middle aisles,and bookies shops•••••••You know, that kind of guy.

And a few gals too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That's my thoughts too. I can't see it being a realistic runner.

To fill croke you'd need a serious undercard .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah it's not ideal that for a trilogy that none of them are in Cameron's backyard but welcome to boxing.

Cameron has never proven herself any sort of a draw and even if it were to happen in England, the Irish supporters would probably snap up most of the tickets anyway😎

May as well have the 3rd fight in Ireland as ultimately if the girls want a nice pay day its here or nowhere sadly.

Hearn calling on the GAA, a community organisation, to drop their prices is farcical. He's a millionaire complaining that two other millionaires won't make enough if they fight in Croke Park. In a world full of injustices, that's on the lower end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Tickets would want to be in the 30-50 euro bracket to make Croker in any way feasible. 100 euro to be sat in the clouds, miles from the ring, with a pretty poor undercard (if we're going by Saturday) would be madness.

Plus the time of day wouldn't suit the type of audience you're trying to tap into - families essentially.

Maybe I'm way off though 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what Katie says is probably dependent on the questions she is asked, maybe its the media who area obsessed with Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't seem to understand the hipster. Hipsters just want to be at the event so they can say they were there. They couldn't care less where they are and lots of them couldn't care less about the fight.

I'm sure you know plenty of them. If there's something in your area that most say they should at, they'll be there and it was brilliant. They'll never say anything negative about anything.

They never have an opinion, it's just all about saying I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Dont Be at It

They won't pay a shadow of the prices for tickets to the point though.

Also, the fights being on Dazn is a massive negative in terms of trying to pull in a bandwagon over the last couple of fights. A lot of people wouldn't have known that Katie was fighting until last Friday or Saturday..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I think you have hit the truth button there Mr E:

Nah, she was advocating for Croke Park in the ring, it's not on the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

She was saying what her promoter wanted her to.

Advertisement